THE HOLLIES import compilations on compact disc: Steve's recommended versions..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not by me!

2. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

I agree. As I said, that particular comp is sourced from futzed-with tapes for many (if not all) of the songs. That's indifferent mastering from crappy tapes (as opposed to the Epic Anthology, which is good mastering from nicely-done dupe tapes.)

3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Just as an FYI for everyone, All The Hits and More, Not The Hits Again and The EP Collection all had vinyl editions. I have all of these.

All The Hits and More sounds really good to me on vinyl. A nice plus is when you do see it is that you can usually get it for really cheap--US$5 to US$15.

Not The Hits Again--OK, but crowded and so sounds mastered at low volume. The CD version (which I haven't heard) might be better. Great comp though. It's is the only place I know of outside of a rare and expensive (in good condition) 1965 EP where you can get The Hollies very cool cover of "Honey and Wine", which was strangely left off The EP Collection.

The EP Collection was actually released on vinyl twice--on See For Miles in the mid-to late-80s as has been noted, but there is also an earlier (vinyl) release on an EMI/Parlophone two box some time between 1976 and 1978, which sounds better to my ears. Both releases are crowded LPs, so don't have much volume. The earlier release has the edge for detail and tonality. The last time I listened to it, I remember enjoying it much more than the See For Miles vinyl press, which I also have.

Dale

PS: Sorry for the out of focus...

Attached Files:

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Even the new remaster Vic did of the Greatest Hits? It sounds like the Anthology he did (it's actually slightly fuller sounding) plus it has Bus Stop.

5. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Hollies
    All The Hits & More - The Definitive Collection (Disc 1)
    1: Just Like Me
    2: Searchin'
    3: Stay
    4: Just One Look
    5: Here I Go Again
    6: We're Through
    7: Yes I Will
    8: I'm Alive
    9: Look Through Any Window
    10: If I Needed Someone
    11: I Can't Let Go
    12: Bus Stop
    13: Stop Stop Stop
    14: Pay You Back With Interest
    15: On A Carousel
    16: Carrie Anne
    17: King Midas In Reverse
    18: Dear Eloise
    19: Jennifer Eccles
    20: Listen To Me
    21: Sorry Suzanne
    22: He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Hollies
    All The Hits & More - The Definitive Collection (Disc 2)
    1: I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top
    2: Gasoline Allley Bred
    3: Hey Willie
    4: Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
    5: The Baby
    6: Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee
    7: Air That I Breathe
    8: Sandy
    9: I'm Down
    10: Daddy Don't Mind
    11: Too Young To Be Married
    12: Soldier's Song
    13: If The Lights Go Out
    14: Take My Love And Run
    15: Give Me Time
    16: Heartbeat
    17: Tell Me How
    18: Don't Let Me Down

Attached Files:

6. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I've been listening to all my Hollies comps over the last few days. I can't speak for the remastered version of this comp, because I have the original CD version. Song for song, I preferred the sound on my 1988 Best Of The Hollies, Vol. 1 comp on EMI Manhattan:

Plus, the original Greatest Hits commits the unforgiveable sin of including a botched version of "Bus Stop". I don't know if it's an edit or just a digital fluke, but the song has 3 or 4 (what I will call) "burps" on the line "...she would stop & she would show me what she bought." They stand out like a sore thumb! (Sorry for my non-tech description!)

FYI...I saw some mentions on other threads about a comp called A's, B's & EP's. Note: it is supposed to be copy-controlled!

Now, I just need to figure out if 20 Golden Hits will be a step up from my EMI Manhattan comps! (Somehow, I don't think the EMI Manhattans were around very long.) Anyone have both?

Thanks for pulling it all together for us Steve!

Dexter

BTW...how do I get an image to appear in the text where I want it, rather than at the bottom?

Attached Files:

7. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Steve, I am surprised by the two recommendations on the 'See For Miles' label ("Not The Hits Again" and "EP Collection", mentioned above). Although I have never heard any of the Hollies CDs on 'See For Miles', every other CD I have ever had on that label had absolutely terrible sound.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Sounds like for an overall hits review (including the few Hollies songs I might know [Bus Stop, The Air That I Breathe, Carrie Anne, He Ain't Heavy and Long Cool Woman), the 20 Greatest Hits one is the one to get.

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Yes, I searched previous posts <there are a LOT of them> and this was considered by almost everybody as the best single cd for the hits and familiar songs. I'm going to pick this up and "Not The Hits Again" for starters, then go from there...

10. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Here's one I have from 93' by EMI in the UK. Anyone familar with this?

1. The Air That I Breathe
    2. Bus Stop
    3. Just One Look
    4. Yes I Will
    5. Look Through Any Window
    6. He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother
    7. Can't Let Go
    8. We're Through
    9. Searchin'
    10. Stay
    11. I'm Alive
    12. If I Needed Someone
    13. Here I Go Again
    14. Stop Stop Stop
    15. On A Carousel
    16. Carrie Anne
    17. King Midas In Reverse
    18. Jennifer Eccles
    19. Listen To Me
    20. Sorry Suzanne
    21. I Can't Tell The Bottom From The Top
    22. Gasoline Alley Bred
    23. Hey Willy
    24. Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress
    25. The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee
    26. The Woman I Love

11. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Never seen that one.

So, how does it sound?

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

thanks. just picked up both "all the hits and more" and the emi/parlophone version of the ep collection. looking forward to hearing them both on vinyl.

13. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

One man's meat is another man's poison!!! :)

I've got maybe a dozen or more discs on See For Miles that sound superb to me. I admit that I'm not keen on a Manfred Mann compilation, but that was the only one that I didn't like...

14. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Or me, either. I'm sick of seeing that stupid cover in the bins. I remember thinking it very strange when that album came out in 1973, not exactly a time when 1960's music was being embraced. And even stranger when I saw those early Imperial hits on there and wondering what they were doing on an Epic LP. It was an incomplete compilation, surprisingly missing "Listen To Me", "Do The Best You Can" and "Sorry Suzanne", as well as some of the earlier Imperial hits. I didn't see the point of that comp, and it ought to be sent packing.

15. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Actually, there is a stereo remix of "Do The Best You Can" on the Sundazed "Dear Eloise/ King Midas In Reverse" CD, which was the U.S. version of the Butterfly LP.

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Jack, See for Miles was definitely not an audiophile label (as you know) but in the case of their Hollies comps it's one of the easiest places to get the tracks without NR. Not the Hits Again is an incredible comp too. Something about it works so well.

I'd like to nominate The Other Side Of... to the list. Not only are many rare tracks presented in their original mixes I think we determined that no NR was applied.

Here's the run down (original mono except were noted):

1. 'Cos You Like to Love Me
    2. Everything Is Sunshine
    3. Signs That Will Never Change
    4. Not That Way at All
    5. You Know He Did
    6. Do the Best You Can
    7. So Lonely
    8. I've Got a Way of My Own
    9. Don't Run and Hide
    10. Come on Back
    11. Open Up Your Eyes
    12. All the World Is Love
    13. Whole World Over
    14. Row the Boat Together (stereo, great little song)
    15. Mad Professor Blyth (stereo)
    16. Dandelion Wine (stereo)
    17. Baby That's All
    18. Nobody
    19. Keep Off That Friend of Mine
    20. Running Through the Night (fantastic stereo!! GREAT lost Hollies classic from 1966)
    21. Hey What's Wrong With Me
    22. Blowin' in the Wind

It's still available cheap too:

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Side-Ho..._1/102-3635868-0123349?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

17. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I had tended to stay away from See For Miles CD releases as I had a vague memory of them featuring unimpressive sonics. Unfortunately I can't now remember which titles were responsible for forming this impression. However, on the strength of recommendations on here uncovered by using the search facility, I have recently bought some of the See For Miles EP Collection disks and been very pleasantly surprised with their sound quality.

18. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Thanks, Steve. I have All the Hits and More and the Epic Anthology and both have served me well over the years. Now I will seek out the See For Miles comps to round out my collection.

On a side note, does anyone know if Please Let Me Please from the American He Ain't Heavy album is available on CD excluding the Long Road Home box set?

19. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Back when, I had the original LP of "I Can't Let Go" that had an amazing Graham Nash song "Fifi the Flea". Unfortunately, somewhere over the years that LP walked away...

Does anyone know if the song "Fifi the Flea" is on any available comp - amazing song with a special connection to me.

20. xios

xios Senior Member

I have another highly recommendable disc released in one of those slim line packages in 1988 on the EMI "Compacts For Pleasure" series. It's called "The Hollies" and has the following:

Stop,Stop,Stop-stereo
    Gasoline Alley Bred-stereo
    Searchin'-stereo
    Listen To Me-stereo
    What Kind Of Boy-mono
    Rockin' Robin-mono
    Come On Back-mono
    Memphis-mono
    Too Young To Be Married-stereo
    Dear Eloise-stereo
    He Ain't Heavy-stereo
    Sweet Little Sixteen-stereo
    Nobody-mono
    Hey Willie-stereo
    Ain't That Just Like Me-stereo
    Sorry Suzanne-stereo
    Lucille-mono
    Keep Off of That Friend of Mine-mono
    On a Carousel-stereo
    Pay You Back w/Interest-stereo
    Clown-stereo
    If I Needed Someone-strange stereo (maybe fake)
    Blowin' In the Wind-stereo

Great sound.

21. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Compacts For Pleasure was a 'super budget' priced series put out by EMI which I think got merged into Music For Pleasure around 1990/1.
    Many of the tracks in that listing were on a Music For Pleasure LP/Cassette simply entitled The Hollies, which came out in 1985.

Bye the way the Epic set is available from HMV in the UK as are some French EP collections but having not heard them, I can't comment.

22. This 2 CD set is reported to be very rare. I scored one in November, 2006 thanks to sh.tv member Bob Dugan. :thumbsup:

I purchased the set through Elusive Albums in the U.K. The staff person who I was corresponding with told me they'd seen only 2 copies in 2006. I paid $55. U.S. + shipping. Worth every penny.

Now if I can only find those 2 See For Miles comps. "Put Yourself In My Place" is one of my favourite early Hollies songs and is not on any of the Hollies CDS that I own. I only have the song on an early Capitol Canada LP, Love 'N' Flowers.

Attached Files:

23. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Mike, did your "fat box" come with little foam cushions in each tray to help keep the discs from coming loose? I don't believe I ever saw this before and think it is a really good idea. It probably adds around .005 of a cent to overall packaging costs, so was probably scrapped by the manufacturers or labels.

Attached Files:

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Mine did, yes.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That was a very nice touch when companies did add that foam for protection. My copy of ATHAM also has them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.