The History of Compact Disc thread. Information wanted.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by innercircle, Jul 8, 2006.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Calling @BradOlson -- any ideas, Brad?

musicfan37 likes this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Amy Grant - Straight Ahead
    This one is October 1985.

Amy Grant - A Christmas Album
    There is no early A Christmas Album listed on discogs. The one above appears to be a mastered in USA by Laser Video and pressed in Japan by CTA disc (she has a few like it). She has several early CDs, but none as early as 1983.

ispace and Smelly Jelly like this.
  3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amy Grant's Christmas Album on Pony Canyon in Japan and her Straight Ahead CD are the first to be issued on CD. The former disc is so rare that Discogs doesn't have it listed.

musicfan37, Daddy-O4 and MLutthans like this.
  5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

musicfan37 likes this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Straight Ahead is relatively early, but the discogs entry for D25Y3285 A Christmas Album shows a much later CD released in 1988 (the date on the rear insert is R-11-2).

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Thanks.

8. UponThisRock

UponThisRock Well-Known Member

This is what makes it confusing. I see a listing on Discogs for the 1983 CD

But was it really manufactured then or it is just listed as such because that was the year of the album's release? In it's favor the Disc reportedly has Made in Japan on it...

Notes
    Disc "Made in Japan" - Artwork "Printed in USA"

[​IMG]

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Do you have this disc? Do you have the matrix? This version could be of a similar age as Straight Ahead, making it older than the Japanese release.

BTW, older CDs often come with Printed in Japan, not US inserts.

10. UponThisRock

No, I do not own the CD...it is currently listed for sale on E-bay. I have also read that the A&M/Word marketing agreement was not finalized until December of 1984. If that is true then I'm not sure that the 1983 date along with the A&M logo on that disc would make sense. Could have been produced in 1985 and the date of the album's release was used on the disc.

All that said, my original mission was in trying to determine the first Christian album produced on CD. This album was intriguing with the 1983 date, but I'm not sure that is valid.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I saw another one on ebay that had it bit of the matrix visible. It was the same dot matrix style that you find on Denon manufactured discs from Japan. This matrix style wasn't used before 1984. I suspect the title was released roughly at the same time as Straight Ahead. And it predates the Japanese Market release mentioned above.

ispace likes this.
  12. UponThisRock

I think you are right. So I doubt it was the first Christian album pressed on CD. I guess the search goes on...