The hare who lost his spectacles (Jethro Tull)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 'A Passion Play' is my favourite JT album. 'The Hare...' is designed as an interlude or intermission in the play. Medieval Passion Plays often featured lighthearted sketchs featuring animal characters as half time pieces. The purpose of which was to provide some lighthearted relief to the more somber main play. Or so I am told. In that context 'The Hare...' makes perfect sense.

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Couldn't have said it better myself! :righton:

3. I didn't know that... Cool!

4. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Loved this album back in the late 80's on vinyl. I remember playing this section at
    a friends house cranked up on his stereo system early one morning and waking my hung over friends up.

I had the early cd version of this but it got trashed and disappeared and only the sleeve remains.
    I always found it to be Tull's most progressive and ambitious
    release of everything I heard from that period though I admit to having never
    heard the entire TAAB album,so my opinion may change.

Tomorrow I will be heading over to the Amazon market place to find older cd
    copies of these albums.

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

This background helps a lot.

I have enjoyed this thread, thanks to all who have contributed.

Tim

6. tullist

tullist Forum Resident

One interesting thing I read, doubtless on a Tull forum, but would fit the mindset of Ian Anderson, was the revelation, to me anyway that medeival Passion Plays would have a lighthearted break in the midst of the tale of Christ's crucifixtion, or at least that is what I think the actual Passion Plays are about.
    The actual record I, and I am certain Ian Anderson, would put squarely in the bottom quarter of his output, and one from which, critically, they never recovered, not at all a bad thing. For one it has seen years where you can see Tull in actual concert halls, not the hockey arenas of the seventies, where, if you don't have the right acoustical seat, that bass starts booming, it particularly ****s up Tull music, by Tull standards, a disapointing show for me, but I do not doubt from the front, likely mind boggling. (I know because I had a couple buddies, moderate Tull fans not hopeless fanatics like me, but they were both in the front row, with their heads full of a potent mescaline, and their young heads were indeed filled with profound wonder.
    The next years tour did open with the middle of Wind Up into a section of Passion Play,(the lover of the black and white part) which I did see from the third row center, I could not imagine being more entertained if I had Bettie Page to do my bidding and be my best pal. Those first ten minutes re confirmed for me, for my little mind and world, that Ian Anderson was the greatest stage performer of the rock age, and has done a lot more credible music in the past 30 years than he is given credit for, but people don't have as much time and patience as 40 years ago, Tull music rarely connects initially with full strength, and of course many more people are unaware they still exist and always have. Incorrectly forgotten and/or marginalized is my take, and I am often wrong.

7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I love it! A perfect comedy relief for such a serious album!

8. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

The Hare, like A Passion Play, is perfect.

But who cares what I think.

Actor of the low-high Q? Let's hear your view.

9. bigtone1348

bigtone1348 Well-Known Member

Watch the video. If you don't get off on the ballet dancers, you're definitely missing something. It really doesn't work in audio only.:goodie:

10. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I read this post three times and I still don't know what the hell you were getting at.

I fell in love with APP back in high school, and while it's obviously overwrought and dense, that's part of it's charm for me.

I really hope SW mixes this to 5.1, but I won't get my hopes up.

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I had never seen the video before that remastered CD came out and I must say that the video made me appreciate this little intermission even more than previous. As a young kid I always thought it was stupid, but then I missed some of the wordplay such as "Newt knew too much" or that kangaroo was "their leader, their guru".

Ok, I don't care how simple it is, I find it darn amusing.

The LP itself I really enjoyed as a kid but I pretty much worship it now thanks to this website which clarified a whole lot of lyrics that just went completely over my head:

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/app/

And while I happily own a great sounding UK original LP, a 5.1 mix would be very much welcome.

12. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Read more: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7670518&postcount=52

13. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

Nope.

14. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I love that I have the option to skip this track on the MFSL (and have burned a copy w/o this track). Always thought it would have been a good option for the remaster to have isolated this track instead of putting it at the start of track 2.

The track has a certain charm to it, though it's a bit too jarring and out of place on APP for my taste. I get and appreciate what they were attempting, it just doesn't work in its context for me. I think it fits in better with the Chateau D'Isaster work.

15. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I remember walking into the record shop on the day of release to buy APP, hadn't heard a note of it on the radio yet, and the shop had just flipped on side 2 commencing with "Hare". A very curious (as in WT*?) moment indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.