The Grateful Dead – Dick’s Picks Vol.1 & Vol.2 now available on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickJ7

MickJ7 Forum Resident

I just bought American Beauty this week on vinyl and it's a great pressing and sound. I've never heard any Grateful Dead before (except a burning spear tribute song the name of which escapes me), but to be honest I'm a little underwhelmed by the album itself. It's a nice inoffensive album but very middle of the road. No offence to any fans out there.

2. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Fast forward to Live Dead.

arrowman likes this.
  3. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

It was probably "Estimated Prophet".

4. sundayboy

sundayboy Forum Resident

I spoke with Phil McG this morning (product mgr at Brookvale) and he assured me the Dick's Picks series is alive and well. He said Jeffrey Norman finished the mastering of Volume 6 and they're working on the artwork for the box set. He also added the reason for the delay on Vol. 6 is they're taking their time to do every release as perfectly as possible (which includes their other non-Dead releases as well as abiding by everyone's schedules involved in the project).

I told him I loved hearing that they were taking their time as it's easier on my wallet in terms of completing the series.

nitsuj, glide and mycroft like this.
  5. glide

glide Forum Resident

Very cool! Thanks for the update.

6. arrowman

arrowman Well-Known Member

Well if they're going all the way thru with Six, then they might at least be in until Eight. I think it's a great sign Six is out. It's not the best DP, but the show is still killer. Oct, '83 is arguably a top-ten month for the GD. The Scarlet intro alone makes this show worth hearing. I'm sure it'll sound good on vinyl.

This series might just be a slow burner. If they keep the editions low (1500 or less), and make quality records, they could become quite collectible. If that happens before they get too high in the numbers, then the sales will always be there. I know they stumbled a little out of the block, but like the GD themselves, there's gold in these releases as well.

I feel like it's my duty to buy Six just so it's more likely Eight gets done.

Btw, if anyone is still interested in picking up Vol. 2, it's onsale: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dicks-picks-vol-2-lp-vinyl/20736015.p?id=2612782&skuId=20736015

nitsuj and #OneOccupation like this.
  7. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Dick's 6 vinyl was well done.
    This series seems to have found it's footing.
    Hope it's not over.

8. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

It's been quiet on the DP Vinyl series front. Any update on DP 7?

arrowman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.