The Grateful Dead – Dick’s Picks Vol.1 & Vol.2 now available on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

Dead heads, take note:

http://brookvalerecords.com/the-grateful-dead-dicks-picks-vol-1-vol-2-now-available-on-vinyl/

Later, Chris

Attached Files:

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Wow ... I've been dipping back into the earlier Dick's Picks CDs ... Jeez, it's been almost 20 years since they started the series. Volume 1 is pre-ordered here. Very nice ...

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

The entire Dick's Picks on vinyl is coming to vinyl. Wow. That's somewhere between insanely cool and just plain insane.

4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

More towards the insane end of the spectrum, I should say. DP 1 was a 2 disc set. That's 4 LPs. The three and four disc sets will be utterly unmanageable.

Dead concerts were meant to be heard on tape. :winkgrin: Breaking them into eight to ten 22 minute installments is just silly.

Seederman likes this.
  5. glide

glide Forum Resident

How many Dark Star's were harmed in the making of this series? ;)

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Wait until they release DP 29. Originally 6 CDs - how many LPs would that take?

As much as I might want to buy some on vinyl, I am going to have to resist the temptation. I will wait for some reviews before deciding.

7. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Now that is funny!

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wow. This is going to get expensive.

9. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Very funny!

Of course these will be digitally sourced?

10. glide

glide Forum Resident

That's what I am wondering. The description was not very specific. And as of late the dead have been wishy-washy with revealing the sources for their releases.

11. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Will these come out this side of the pond?

12. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

Great news :goodie:

13. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

I'm not sure what to make of this...so many of those long jams are going to be split by album flips. Seems to be CD is the optimal media in this case.

14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Proof of this goes back to 1969. Live/Dead was meant to be heard in a straight through 75 mins. The 2 LP set is now dated and quaint.
    Release the Picks and all of the shows on Blu-Ray

15. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

Unless you are a Grateful Dead fan without a CD player ... like I.

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It might be a good idea to keep an eye on spincds.com - they seem to have a deal with GD productions to get all the limited releases over here in the UK, though prices are high.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Received a nice personal e-mail from the record company's main dude thanking me for my pre-order yesterday. How 'bout that?

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Good question.
    Looks like these LP sets are limited to 2,000 copies each, domestically anyway.

19. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Waay too pricey for my wallet. Oh well.

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

How do you listen to live shows??? Tell me you at least have a cassette deck!

21. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

No cassette deck :), but online sources (archive.org, youtube etc.).

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

When do the 8-track cartridges come out? No flips there.

23. KarlJr

KarlJr New Member

Morning All,

My name is Karl Groeger and I am the owner of Brookvale Records and Looney Tunes. I am the one putting out the Dick's Picks series on vinyl.

We have been working very closely with The Dead on these releases and I welcome your questions and concerns.

As a fan first, I knew there would be challenges going into this project and I think we are doing an amazing job with them. I would like to address 2 concerns I see brought up here. Sound source and side splits. Of course these are critical.

While we want of course the source tapes to every show, we are at the mercy of The Dead for masters for both ART and MUSIC. For the first shows the Dead simply does not have the original masters for them. We had no choice except to go from the CD. My first reaction was, thats impossible, how do they not have the masters? Well after about 6 months of searching they just do not have them. It looks like though for future releases they have about 90% of the masters on all the volumes.

OK so we don't have the masters. Can we go from the CD? How is that going to sound? Well they sound great! (Check out the reviews on brookvalerecords.com).

We had a choice to use anyone we wanted to master this vinyl from the CD. We were suggested to use Rainbo pressing. I decided not to. I have been a HUGE face of both RTI and GOTTA GROOVE RECORDS. I think both plants have been making some great QUIET records. After about another 6 months of discussions, we choose Gotta Groove to re master and manufacture the vinyl on 1 and 2. And I could not be happier. Although YES the CD is not ideal to go with. BUT I think it came out EXCELLENT! Or I would not put my name on it. I have actually made LPS from masters on another project that did not sound half as good as these dead records do. I hope you will enjoy them.

SIDE SPLITS. Yes this is going to be another challenge for sure. With vol 2 you notice that it is a 3 sided record???? WHY ??? I decided to not make a side 4 because I could keep the JAM going on side 3. Where ever possible I will also keep the jam and do our very best with track listings and side splits. It will be a challenge YES. BUT I DO NOT THINK that its a reason NOT to do these.

I love vinyl. I think it is the perfect way to listen to The Dead.

I welcome your comments. (crap...ha ha).

Thank you for your time guys I hope this addresses some concerns.

Best,
    Karl

24. glide

glide Forum Resident

I'm really jazzed for the 60's era releases from the series. I wonder how quickly they are going to churn these out.

25. attym

attym Forum Resident

Will need some source info... direct from CD won't work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.