The Doors - Soft Parade - how to tell if your remaster is correct

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just checked my copies of Waiting For The Sun and The Soft Parade from the cube, and both are good. The HDCD indicator on the H/K CDR 30 lights up when playing both discs. The matrix codes for the two discs are identical to the ones I posted for my jewel-case copies, except that Waiting For The Sun has M1S2 instead of M1S3 and The Soft Parade has M1S1 instead of M1S2.

2. Mr. Tull, to this date Warner Canada has never released the HDCD remasters individually. They're still selling the late 1980s first remasters. You can only get the HDCD remasters in the cube box.

I purchased all Japan mini-LP sleeve CDs a few years ago from the old CDNOW. All the CDs I have are HDCD encoded including the soft parade. Just checked.

All the Japan mini-LP sleeve discs I have were manufactured in Germany. :confused: the soft parade clocks in on my computer at 33.54 and my Nakamichi CD player at 33.56.

CD label number - 7559-62550-2
    Made In Germany
    GEMA/IBEM LC00192

Back of the CD inner ring is stamped with IFPI L011 above the "W" Warner logo. To the right of the "W" logo is 755962550-2 06/00.

The CD contains the gatefold sleeve, original inner sleeve and a Japanese booklet.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

Keith, thanks for posting. Mine also say wea mg. OLYPHANT on both.

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:confused: Good morning!

innner ring: #940909J CD-75005 L381 MFG BY CINRAM :confused: 33:50 time in windows media player. silver disc with red circle-

Where is the indicator located in windows media player for HDCD?-tried HDCD discs by Neil Young & The Bee Gees- :help:

5. tootull

read this after my post-thanks!

6. HDCD logo appears on the bottom left in Windows Media Player.

Attached Files:

7. Here are screen shots of the CD jacket, Japan booklet and CD label. Not sure why a Japanese CD would be manufactured in Germany.

Attached Files:

8. KeithH

No problem.

9. tootull

Thank you!

Not a big deal, now that I know my Soft Parade disc is not HDCD I use the computer for music listening -like almost never eh! :D
    The default skin for my windows media player is msn white&blue-no HDCD indication from HDCD discs.

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Tootull,

Are you running XP?

11. tootull

Yes

12. I'm running Windows 2000, Windows Media Player Series 9. Wonder if Tootull's issue is the version of Windows Media Player on his system and not necessarily his OS.

13. tootull

My download-media player series 10

14. cdice

cdice New Member

Well now, I'm totally confused. I dropped in my "Soft Parade" (in the computer, I'm using Windows XP and Windows Media Player) and I see no HDCD indicator light. So I tried a couple of other HDCD's and still no indicator light on Windows Media Player. I checked the matrix number on the inner ring of "The Soft Parade" and mine is:
    X9901 2 62434-2.4 01 MS1
    It has the WEA mfg. Olyphant in the inner ring.
    The running time is 33:54

So, is this the right version or not, please? I haven't the old, 80's CD to compare it to. :(

15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Sometimes the windows media player wont pick up immediately that it is a HDCD, but by the second song you should see the indicator coming up. Otherwise, you got the wrong one. From what I am reading in this thread, the matrix number may not be the ultimate test.

16. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Did the old Soft Parade really come out in the '80s? I seem to remember it taking forever after I got a CD player.

17. KeithH

Yes. The original CD was released in 1988 along with the first remasters of The Doors, Strange Days, Waiting For The Sun, Morrison Hotel, and L.A. Woman. For some reason, The Soft Parade was the only Doors studio album that was not released as a West German or Japanese pressing between 1983 and 1985.

By the way, the original CD of The Soft Parade has a copyright date of 1975 on the inserts. Does anyone know why? The album came out in 1969.

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

My made in the USA (box set) HDCD copy of The Soft Parade has a red label like the "bad" version shown in Mike Perko's post above - I don't think that is a reliable way of detecting the correct version.

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

John,

Do your inner ring matrix codes match my "bad" version:

2 62434-2.4 02 M1S2 Z17848

20. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

My Brother has the bad "Soft Parade" and the matrix code is:

2 62434-2.4 02 M1S1 Z17848

21. tootull

If memory serves me correctly-The Soft Parade was re-released on vinyl in 1975.

22. KeithH

So it was out of print for some period of time?

23. tootull

To my memory, yes, because I never heard, or saw this on vinyl until the latter 70's, of course I was too young :whistle: in the sixties (yeah that's my excuse) to really get into the Doors, and the Soft Parade popped up in record stores in large quantities around 1975. I wonder if there are vinyl copies dated 1975?- to fill in this distant memory! :D

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My copy from the set with the mini LP jackets(and the red label)has a timing of 33:54. So, given the difference of a second or two, this must mean I have the "bad" master. :realmad:

WHY would such a screw-up occur?! :mad:

Evan

25. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Not necessarily. I have the correct remaster and it comes up as 33:54 in some players and 33:56 in others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.