The Doors s/t stereo mix. What were they thinking?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

It is a powerful mix, ( even if it's not much fun with headphones).

But what makes it so hard to replicate, Steve?

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

The mix was not made [most were not in that era] for good headphone listening. It was mixed to be heard on speakers...

Bob- :)

3. Another Side

I know that, of course, Bob. And the mix has a lot going for it: The bass is very direct and clear, the vocals are front and center, the drums are well recorded and placed. The DCC sounds great. But the choices that were made at the recording stage necessitated the placement of both solo instruments on the same channel. That is what I find fault with. :)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Give a listen to the 1970's Quad remix version of LIGHT MY FIRE sometime. Hear how it just lays there? Now listen to the original 1966 stereo mix. Ah, now that's PUNCH. Listen to just the left channel during the guitar and organ solos. Notice how the echo sends on the drums are overloading? They did that to add more impact to the drums. (On the talkback Paul R. kept telling John D. to play harder)..

The stereo mix had a Fairchild stereo compressor going through the Sunset Sound echo chamber with even more overload on the drum echo going through proprietary EQ full of vacuum tubes.

Can't get that sound again for a million bucks unless you rebuilt Sunset Sound circa 1966.

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

How does the Quad mix fold down? I assume the keyboard and guitar are still in the same channel?

6. Chris M

The first album outtake of Moonlight Drive (remix from the 4 track) on the 1997 Doors box sounds nice.

7. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Props go to Paul Rothchild for the mix, eh? He rode those effects like an artist. It's a shame that it can't be made clearer how crucial those moves are.

8. Steve Hoffman

Yes, it is clear from the outtakes that he knew exactly what he wanted the record to sound like. And if he couldn't get exactly what he wanted from the band he would get it from the recording equipment.

An underrated genius.

9. Chris M

Slightly OT but I would love, love, LOVE to hear the original 1966 Sunset Sound mix of Indian Summer (the version on Morrison Hotel was a first LP outtake)

10. Another Side

Thanks, Steve.

BTW, that is definitely one advantage to the odd placement of the instruments. You can hear Densmore's drums very clearly and with a lot of impact.

11. Steve Hoffman

Once again, it's not an odd placement for a stereo record circa 1966.

12. Another Side

Fair enough, no one in 1967 thought that in 2005 someone would be listening to this album on their iPod. But I think you know what I mean. :)

13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Let's judge the quad mix as heard in quad, lest we judge the stereo mix as heard in mono. In quad, it's a lot better than it is on a stereo system.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I love the strong, loud drums on this album.

15. Another Side

I don't think Densmore gets the credit he deserves. His drumming style is quite unusual for a rock drummer, and while it seems to fit the Doors perfectly, he didn't seem to be drumming only to futher the sound of the band as a whole. He still had room to be an expressive drummer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It really does have a certain "atmosphere" to it that makes that album all the more unique and special. I always thought it sounded great...

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Rock drummer? They preferred jazz and classical to rock music. But, they also had their eye on the bottom line, which meant being commercial. Jim Morrison didn't even like rock music.

18. Chris M

:confused: I have no idea what your going on about. Jim Morrison didn't like rock music :confused: Do you just make this stuff up?

Shawn likes this.
  19. Another Side

Well that's sort of what I meant. He was in a rock band, but his sensibilities lay elsewhere.

20. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Does the 70s remix play at correct speed or is it slowed down like the 66 mix?

21. monkboughtlunch

Steve do any of the alternate takes from the first LP survive with a "scratch vocal"?

22. Chris M

The Quad LMF mix does play at the correct speed (not slowed down)

23. monkboughtlunch

Anyone know if alternate takes from Doors s/t contain scratch vocals? If so, I guess they could release alternates if tapes have survived and the performance is worthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.