The Dead Weather new album 'Sea of Cowards'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ottoman79, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Condescending is not strong enough. The man is literally insulting our intelligence, telling us we are wrong about the clipping!

If he really thinks the Icky Thump CD sounds great, his ears must have been properly ruined by all those loud concerts he's played...

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

But guys!!!

We're not in the studio with them looking at their moniters!!! Our programs are WRONG!

Seriously, I was listening to this album in the car today...I can't figure out if all the static and distortion are on there intentionally or if it's bad mastering...either way, it sounds like crap. :cussing:

He said "give us a call". I may just do that. Phone: 615.891.4393

3. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Jack's in a) denial or b) a liar or c) both.

I choose B.

I wrote Bob Ludwig a letter asking him if any of what Jack said was true.

5. surfingelectrode

Well, if anything, this disproves that whole 'Jack White is an audiophile' thing.

I'm actually kind of curious to know just how loud Vlado Meller's original master was, since it was apparently louder.

Please post Bob's response, if you get one!

6. bobbyg1983

bobbyg1983 Forum Resident

7. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

I honestly don't see why people can't just release dynamic, "quiet" CDs and vinyl that come with a free mp3 download of the same album but with today's standard of dynamic range compression, for use on portable DAPs.

As far as I know, no-one does this and I'd love to see it.

8. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

That would seem to be a near perfect compromise.

9. surfingelectrode

I'd like that.

I just hate how good Elephant, Icky Thump, and Consolers of the Lonely sound compared to everything else that Jack has done. It's a shame that those are the only three that sound sound great instead of just good or bad.

I have Side A of Consolers on and it's pretty amazing sounding. Kevin Gray did a great job on this one.

10. surfingelectrode

11. carsoni4

carsoni4 New Member

I'd say I've listened to this album close to 20 times now -- and man, this puppy is a grower. Album of the year (so far) for me.

Has anyone physically obtained a vinyl copy yet? I can't find anywhere that has it in stock.

12. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

My local got it in later in the day on Tuesday. I've listened a couple of times, but High Violet has been getting the majority of my time.

13. 2gruv

2gruv Forum Resident

It seems like Jacks post has been deleted from the Vaults blog, at least hidden for me (I am a platinum member, so I should be able to find it). hm

14. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I'm going to buy Jack a shift key.

15. WizardGlik

WizardGlik New Member

Naughty Gort!

;)

16. joe1515

joe1515 New Member

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but can someone explain what clipping means?

Thanks,

Joe

17. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

WELCOME!

I'm sure the more knowledgeable here can offer a better description, but here goes ...

Digital clipping is the result of the digital overamplification of a sine wave. As a result, the peak of that sine wave is truncated, or "clipped," at a maximum allowed value that can be represented digitally. The wave resulting from the clipping is not a full sine wave. This results in the (sometimes gross) distortion of the signal.

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

surfingelectrode posted a link to a blog post that responds to Jack White's post... scroll down a bit and the author has circled the parts where clipping occurs. it's a good representation of what is lost when clipping occurs.

http://adventuresinmastering.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/a-response-to-jack-white/#more-5

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

20. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

the part about it would cost so much to have it done analog is a laugh. Jack White pinching pennies because a lathe cost sooo much.

And his desire to have his song sound loud on the radio or an ipod is so conventional thinking. Maybe think outside the box and when people complain it does not sound loud enuf like the new nickelback tell em to turn it up!

If people say hey I turned it all the way up and it aint loud enuf, tell em buy some real speakers for your ipod or better yet try buying a real amplifier and speakers if you want to hear it well.

of course the solution is to have a ****** mix for ipods and radio and a audiophile mix for cd and vinyl but poor Jack is close to bankruptcy so he cannot do that can he.

Poor Jack has apparently decided to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Hope twenty years from now he won't be consider as relevant as Steven Tyler is today

21. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

you're welcome, although I can't take credit, surfingelectrode was all over this one.

it's funny that Jack White asks for "evidence" of clipping and then this guy posts screen shots.

22. beauford1313

beauford1313 The Busta Rhymes of the Ukraine

Do we know who the author of this blog is? Just curious.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the vinyl sounds better imo - far better, a lot smoother

24. carsoni4

carsoni4 New Member

Deuce, can I ask where you grabbed your vinyl? I've been looking all over town trying to pick it up this weekend!

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

it's available at Sunrise downtown, Sonic Boom and Play De Record (across from Sunrise), I'm sure Rotate This on Queen Street would have it also.

best price was $20.99 at Play de Record (where I bought it) - highest at Sonic Boom $31.99 - Sunrise was $24.99 I think, they will price match

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.