The Concert Sinatra on Reprise from 1963 (including discussion of remixed Concord CD release)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

Frank is very up front but hearing the nuances of the arragements in this mastering is fascinataing. It was always there but I'm just hearing it now. The beginning of "Lost In The Stars" even sounds different.

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks for all the Reviews , bummer to read this is not what everyone hoped it would be .
    We all wish they would just revamp the full catalog done right ....... Sadly it seems this may never happen ...

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

DJ Wilbur pointed this out to me over the phone earlier.

Look at the song titles:

Attached Files:

4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

YIKES!!!!!!:eek::confused:

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

well "Soliloquy" is so hard to spell...and since some call me "Bill"...

another "Bill" song to add to my collection...:winkgrin:

McLover likes this.
  6. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Any other reports on the sonics?

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Initial thougts after previewing on big sound system are:

1.) Yes! You definitely hear more instruments...and more from the instruments than ever before.

2.) While Mr. S is up front and center, he sounds detached from the recording session. It's as if he were hermetically sealed in another room and singing. There is little-to-no reverb to make it sound as if he is there with that orchestra in those huge sound studios at MGM.

I shall give it a thorough exam tonight or tomorrow night.

McLover likes this.
  8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Not trying a comprehensive opinion here, just some impressions. Not going to settle on a personal opinion yet either. It is interesting to hear. More "modern" sensibilities in the mix. Sounds more 1980. Placements favor the center, seem shy of the extreme sides of the stereo soundstage, there isn't quite the sense of scale and in terms of EQ it is a bit "toppy" (forwards, trebly) with comparatively limited "bloom" in the mids. The big one for me is as Paul points out, that Frank sounds detached. He sounds as if he could as well be in an isolation booth. On the other hand, it is also obvious some generations of tape etc have been peeled away, working from a cleaner, higher fidelity source. Some are going to prefer this. The isolated sense of Frank's voice is making it difficult for me.

McLover likes this.
  9. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Unfortunately, I totally agree. I listened to it on headphones, and my main system. On both, Frank's voice sounds very harsh, upfront, and to me, very isolated. On the previous two versions, Frank's voice sounded very natural and perfectly blended with the orchestra. I hate to say it, but the two previous versions sounded slightly muted, but very natural and pleasing. This new release sounds, well for lack of a better term, much too digital. If I could, I'd send it back to Amazon.

AJH

10. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Always been a huge Sinatra fan, but I never warmed up to this album.

11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Uh-oh, we're bordering on ugly now!

12. MLutthans

.....and the string sections sounds harsh as heck. Strings should not sound piercing.

McLover likes this.
  13. apileocole

Well... I appreciate that Frank Jr., Nancy and the folks at FSE and Concord Records are making the efforts and showing Frank's recordings attention and are being involved with the intention of optimising presentation of these classics of American music.

But yet again I can't say it's succeeding as intended. Even though I have never exactly liked the old relatively murky stereo mix, I'm afraid I have to say that, going between them, I'm finding that old mix more effective. Quirks, obvious edits and all that, the old mix still seems more cohesive and this new mix sounds more artificially re-constructed. That's not getting into iffy details like the specifics of EQ, the sync etc; the new mix brings a new list of quirks. The new mix sensibilities (and possibly equipment) at work here really aren't doing the music favors.

McLover likes this.
  14. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Give the original Mono mix a try.

15. MLutthans

Agreed (and I've said so here many times, as have other members), but boy, what a mixed bag they've produced thus far. I can't really say with a straight face that I'm happy with any of them. Two discs are acceptable in my opinion, Ring-a-Ding Ding, Sinatra/Basie, and even on those, the vocal sound is off the mark (IMO).

I am no fan of the original mix, either. (Some tracks are better than others. "My Heart Stood Still" is notably poor to my ears.) I remember when the MFSL LP release was announced, some people were hoping for better sound and I was saying something like, well....here's that post from 2010:

and a follow up:

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Check out the sustained "AM I" at the end of "Bewitched," as compared to the version in the Reprise Years box (which is the same as the EOTC?). The new version doesn't sound right; the old version, drenched in reverb, at least still sounds human...

17. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I agree with you here too, except I was listening to the Sinatra/Basie re-mix a few days ago, and then I played the ETOC Basie CD and really lowered my opinion of the Sinatra/Basie re-mix- (IMHO) the vocal seemed slightly dull, and the band didn't have the same intensity as the EOTC remaster.

I really hated Frank's voice on the re-mixed September of My Years for the same reasons as I do on the new Concert Sinatra, but the vocal here seems even more harsh and up front (and Frank was NOT using the AKG/Sennheiser/mystery microphone he used on SOMY- he was reportedly using one of the MGM/Church microphones on The Concert Sinatra). I just don't understand why they went for such an unnatural up front placement and tonality. I guess I have to say I am just downright disappointed in this release because, for some reason, I was expecting so much more. I won't make this mistake again.

AJH

18. MLutthans

Hmmm.....well, I'm no fan of the Sinatra/Basie remix either, but I think it is (as I said) "acceptable." I don't have the EOTC version; sounds like it's worth seeking out -- thanks!

Yep, I just couldn't get into that one, either. I wish I could figure out what "they" are doing to Frank's vocal channel, because whatever it is, it's wrong sounding, sterile, unmusical, whatever you want to call it....wrong.

Matt

19. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Sad. :shake:

20. apileocole

In the original mix, the strings in Bewitched as he sings "lost my heart / but what of it? / she is cold I agree / she can laugh," etc, are picked up by multiple mics arranged/mixed so as to spread them (violins left, violas right ? iirc) fairly broadly across the stereo soundstage behind Frank. In the re-mix, one hears a more strident sounding but less delineated string section crowd both center left and center right of Frank, revealing that they're on multiple tracks and that those tracks are somewhat out of sync with each other... :sigh:

21. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

It seems from what I'm reading is that real experts were brought in for the delicate job of getting the sound off of the original mag tape, but none brought in to actually remaster it.

22. MLutthans

MAJOR DISCLAIMER: I have not listened carefully to that track (Bewitched) yet, but it sounds from your description like what I'm hearing on track 3, "Lost in the Stars," and on that track (3), I'm pretty sure of what I'm hearing.

What I hear on LOST IN THE STARS:

•The only sections of that song that are legitimate remixes from the 35mm mag tracks are the opening and closing instrumental sections. On these sections, the woodwinds are clearly, squarely centered in the mix.
    •For the intervening section (the vast majority of the song), it sounds to me like two distinct sources are running, and an attempt was made to sync them, but the attempt didn't quite work, causing a distinct "ghosting" in the orchestral parts, almost like two orchestras trying to play together at once. (It's subtle, but it's there!)
    •My guess? Only some of the mag tracks could be restored, and they tried to cobble together an odd combination of tracks from the 3-track tapes and the 7-track mag, but perfect sync was not achieved.
    •To further complicate things, I think that the vocal as a whole (on LOST IN THE STARS) came from the 3-track. Why? I still say that it *sounds like* there were some overdubs on this track (look back a few pages in this thread for details), and those overdubs would not have been done on the mag film. I suspect that the need to preserve those overdubs coupled with (I'm speculating based on what I hear) some damaged/unusable instrumental mag tracks, really wreak havoc on the imaging in the new mix. Specifically, where the instrumental imaging is concerned, the flutes seem to be both "here" (left channel on the three track) and "there" (center panning from the mag film) but in reality are just a phasey mess.

McLover likes this.
  23. MLutthans

There are about 2 seconds more intro right before Frank enters on the new version of OLD MAN RIVER. Either it's an alternate take, or a missed edit.

zoltantamas likes this.
  24. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Is Larry Walsh responsible for the remix here?

The vocal presentation has been so bad on virtually all of these Concord releases (dull, muffled, isolated, unnatural, etc.) that its hard to believe that they're done by the same man who did such a nice job on many of the late-80s capitol CDs:

WRU?, Jolly Xmas, Come Fly, Come Dance, Come Swing, OTL, NOC, Swingin Session.

The vocals are pretty uniformly well-presented on those titles.

What a shame that they're wasting time and resources on these remixes instead of, say, releasing Deluxe editions of the original Reprise albums that include the mono and stereo versions (through Sinatra-Ellington).

25. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Yes, Larry Walsh and Frank Sinatra, Jr.

AJH