The Concert Sinatra on Reprise from 1963 (including discussion of remixed Concord CD release)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I hear Nancy couldn't do the tunes on her show today due to some technical stuff. However, Sid Mark is allegedly playing tracks from the new CD on his show this weekend.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well....poop.

Sid Marks is on at 4 locally, but on AM (mono), and the station's stream is also mono. I checked a couple of other streaming stations, but the quality is pretty low-fi, so I'm punting until Tuesday, I guess.

EDIT: Double poop! I try to always support my local brick & mortar stores whenever possible, and my plan has been to drive about 40 miles south to a store that I'm sure will have this in stock on Tuesday morning, and now the forecast is for 3 to 6 inches of snow Monday night into Tuesday morning, so the trip may be on hold. Oh, well.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

New liner note by Frank Sinatra Jr.

About Concert Sinatra (2012 Edition)

When this record album was recorded in 1963, multi-track master tape recorders for recording studios were not yet a reality. In order to facilitate the sound mixing advantage of many channels of stereo, Concert Sinatra was recorded on a motion picture scoring stage with the use of multiple synchronized recording machines that employed 35mm magnetic film. This master recording has not been engaged in any re-release of Concert Sinatra since the original sound mix was prepared nearly 50 years ago.

Fortunately, producer Charles Pignone was able to locate the original “Magnestripe” in film cans where it had been stored for nearly five decades. The restoration of the magnetic film in order to return to the multi-channel master format was a prodigious undertaking. The degradation of the source material was considerable, but, with the aid of a magnificent engineering and musical staff, along with the unimaginably micro-accurate computer assists that modern digital science has to offer, we have been able to prepare a completely new sound mix for the 2012 release.

If you have had this magnificent album in the past, and compare the orchestral content of previous releases to the new rendering, you will undoubtedly notice the amount of music, originally recorded on the master film that was never present before. Listening to other parts of Nelson Riddle's classic orchestrations, never before heard on record, was indeed an experience for me. I had been present at the original recording sessions in February of 1963. In later years, I also conducted the orchestra for many of the arrangements that appear in Concert Sinatra when he would perform them in his concerts on the stage.

I would therefore like to acknowledge the inestimable service and talents of music technician, Terry Woodson, who directed our remix, measure by measure, from Nelson Riddle's original orchestra scores. I would also like to acknowledge forensic sound restoration engineer, Carl Dito, for his tireless efforts in “house cleaning” the original source materials; and chief remix engineer Larry Walsh at BluWave Audio, who has been known for many years as the man who can pull rabbits out of hats in the recording studio.

Without their tireless dedication to the production, this new Concert Sinatra would not have been possible.

Frank Sinatra Jr., November 2011

D.B. likes this.
  4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

oh this is out as of today?

5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yep, today.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Nice words from Jr. But how the album sounds will be the proof in the pudding.

7. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Wouldn't this album be a magnificent candidate for a 5.1 surround mix?

steveinphilly and zoltantamas like this.
  8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Just oredered this wonderful FS album! Bought it from Amazon US, so I guess I have to wait fore a week or two, but I think it's worth it!

Easily one of my favourite Repriese albums by Sinatra! "Watertown", "A Man Alone" & "September Of My Years" beats it, but it's very good!

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't know how long it takes to get to Sweden, but my Amazon US pre-order arrived this morning.

10. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

As soon as I have it, I'll report back. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a record from Amazon US and it was shipped from Amazon Germany instead...As soon as get my package I'll post my thoughts about the release! In the meantime I enjoy my 2009 remaster of this disc.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There is a MAJOR reduction in tape hiss, compared to the previous (1987 and 1999) CD releases. You could hear a pin drop in the background of the quieter vocal passages without much instrumentation. Sinatra is much more up front, with less reverb on his voice.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob,

This thread could get ugly and I'd like to avoid that, if possible. Before it goes any further, can you recognize digital noise reduction techniques?

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The 2009 remaster by Universal Music is really the 1999 Reprise ("Entertainer of the Century") remaster.

McLover likes this.
  14. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Thank you Bob, I didn't know that! I hope this new 2012 remaster tops the one I have! I've never liked the sound of the 2009 CD.

15. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I hope it doesn't take an ugly turn, Steve.

I've tried to tread lightly with my own impressions of the sonics, as I'm no expert in that area, but I couldn't resist commenting on the tape hiss. I've only been listening for a short time, and I'm comparing the three different CD versions through headphones...

The new issue is remarkably noise-free compared to the earlier releases. I don't think it's been N/R'd; I'd like to think it's the 35mm mag sources that make the difference here. :)

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Is this the usual voice-up-front and the orchestra pushed way back (ala' "My Way" and "Strangers in the Night" reissues?) I'd surely hope not with that huge orchestra.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i've ordered one so should/could have it as early as tomorrow...i wonder if 35mm film would have tape hiss at all...I don't know enough about that medium myself...curious to hear a remix on this one...

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

No, it's not like that at all. On the original stereo mix, Frank seems more pushed back, almost overwhelmed by the huge orchestra. This new mix brings him more to the fore while still doing justice to the instrumentals. I can hear a number of little flourishes here and there that were almost completely washed out before.

I think that's what Frank Jr. is talkiing about, when he states, "you will undoubtedly notice the amount of music, originally recorded on the master film that was never present before." I can hear it for sure, and I've only studied 1½ tracks carefully so far.

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

By the way, for the curious: She is a fool again this time around. ;)

zoltantamas and MLutthans like this.
  20. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Now THAT is a cut showing some definite compression. (The one where "He's a fool" I mean.)

21. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I quite fancy this now. I always play the album I have extremely loud, I can't imagine how " Ol Man River" must be sounding on this new release, fabulous I bet.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Amazing that you should mention that, Tina, because I'm listening to it right now! I think I'm on my tenth repetition of the track. No matter how it's mixed, it's a fantastic piece of music. But when Sinatra hits the low note on "lands in jail," this remix actually gives me goosebumps. There's something about it that makes it seem more personal than previous versions. I can hear the "quiver" in his voice as if he's standing in front of me.

23. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

The line " Jaaaaaiiiiiillllll " ALWAYS gives me shivers Bob, every time I hear it, I wait for it with anticipation, gawd knows what I'd be like on this new remastered version then LOL!

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Taking Steve's lead to not turn the thread ugly, I will just say that I am disappointed.

zoltantamas and McLover like this.
  25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It seems this remaster/remix series is quite the mixed bag. I'm officially holding off on this purchase for now. But what do you guys think? Should I get it, or should I just make do with the MoFi LP and the CD included in the Sinatra Years box?