The Concert Sinatra on Reprise from 1963 (including discussion of remixed Concord CD release)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^Hmmm.....I hear it as a splice, plain as day. Here's the instrumental part of that clip, left channel first, right channel second, full stereo third. The splice is at the sixth 6-note arpeggio.

Do-be-wa-pa-do-be
    Do-be-wa-pa-do-be
    Do-be-wa-pa-do-be
    Do-be-wa-pa-do-be
    Do-be-wa-pa-do-be
    (CUT - flute/clarinet sound faint now) Do-be-wa-pa-do-be

On the left channel (the first part of the clip), the flute and clarinet virtually disappear in terms of volume, and instantly so. If it was caused by on-the-fly knob twiddling, it was via a switch or button, not a pot or fader (IMO). On the right channel, there's a rumble audible on the recording that is lessened after the assumed splice.

I've been crazy before, so....have a listen:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1241923196/Clip1InSpades.wav

Matt

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, I didn't mean to say there was or wasn't an edit, just that I don't hear the image shift after the flute solo drops out. It seems that way at first because something so prominent off to the side goes away, but everything else seems to stay put.

There could be an edit, and if it's a bit abrupt, wouldn't the difficulty in editing 35mm influence the edit not being perfect?

3. MLutthans

I hear the image shift after the 5th 6-note pattern, at which time the flute is still playing for two more 6-note patterns. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to say?? I'm slow.)

My guess is that they edited at the 3-track tape stage, not on the mag, since they had 3 different mag films running in sync -- what a pain! One edit, but three splices to accommodate that one edit! Much easier to to mix both pieces down to 3-track, then edit the 3-track tape. (Technically, I guess the instrumental passage would involve splicing only two of the three mag films, but you get the point.)

The upcoming CD could shed a lot of light on all this stuff.

McLover likes this.
  4. wave

wave Forum Resident

5. MLutthans

Hmmmm....I can't get them to play.

6. wave

wave Forum Resident

About half of them play for me, Matt. I'd love to hear your first impressions, so keep trying!

7. MLutthans

I got Bewitched to play, but the low-rate mp3 is so swishy swashy that it's really hard to judge. Same with I Have Dreamed, which I got to play. Guess I'll wait for the real CD to hit my player.

Matt

8. MLutthans

By the way, amazon.uk has a link to "buy this album now on mp3" on the 2012 edition's page, but that link takes you to 2009 files, so....avoid if you are trying to buy the 2012 edition.

Matt

9. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I just played a few samples and if this is the real thing (which I would bet my bottom dollar on that it is NOT) we are all in for a big dissappointment. As Matt says, let's wait for the actual CD and decide.

10. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

yeah never judge anything by an internet stream is my policy now...

very intrigued to hear this one...

11. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How is THIS for a disclaimer?

After hearing this new album I can tell you it is very different and you will either like it or you won't.

posted on the Family Forum by Nancy herself!!!!!:eek:

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Oh god...

13. MLutthans

Nancy also points out that something from the new release will be played on her Sirius show this weekend.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OK...all you Sirius listeners...all seven of you...:eek:

Tune in on Sunday and report back here with your reviews.:wave:

zoltantamas likes this.
  15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Because it's that great or because few are going to be able to listen to it? :) Thanks for relating the comment. The suspense builds... :D

A good policy.

16. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I really love the mono mix on the album, but I’m going in with an open mind with this CD.

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

When does that "air"? I may have to go sit in the car to hear it...

18. MLutthans

From here:
    Glad to see that professional, accurate journalism is not dead. :shake:

19. Ere

Ere Senior Member

If they went back to those three-track mags didn't they in fact by-pass the "original masters" and create a new one?

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You'll have to sit for a long time; it's a three-hour show. Better to listen online. (You can get a free 30-day Internet trial. Requires giving Sirius a credit card number, but you can cancel before the month is up to avoid being billed.)

The Nancy For Frank show runs Sunday (5–8 pm), with repeats on Tuesday (3–6 pm) and Thursday (9 pm–midnight). Those times are Eastern; adjust accordingly for other time zones.

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes, although it's been hinted, in advance of the CD release next week, that they didn't/couldn't utilize the original multitrack mags entirely. (There were three mag reels with 6 instrumental tracks plus Sinatra's vocal.)

22. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Sirius is still a compressed audio listen...I think its 128k? i'm not sure, I used to subscribe but my ipod sounded better...

best not to judge this cd based on what she plays on her show...it certainly wont be "hi res"....

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The online stream has less compression than the satellite radio feed. They seem to dole out bandwidth differently for different stations, and the Sinatra channel sounds better than 128K to me online. But yeah, it won't be CD quality. That still shouldn't prevent hearing what's different about the new mix.

24. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Is that still the same? I thought I read it is the 2012 remastered version available to preorder.

I don't normally go for downloads for Frank material, I wondered if the bonus tracks would be available without purchasing the complete album... for now.

I can't see it on iTunes.

25. MLutthans

I expect the 2012 Amazon link to switch to the new versions on Tuesday. If the version does not include the bonus tracks, it's still the 2009 mastering.

Matt