The Concert Sinatra on Reprise from 1963 (including discussion of remixed Concord CD release)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. AL01

AL01 Eh?

My apologies; I used the wrong terminology.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I know! Semantics suck sometimes. Sorry if I came off a little prickly. :kilroy:

MarkusGermany and AL01 like this.
  3. johnnytheg

johnnytheg Forum Resident

I may have an original LP copy of this somewhere, but are the vocals this mid rangy on the original mix as well?

4. johnnytheg

johnnytheg Forum Resident

Never mind, I just read your original LP rundown on the sonics on page 2 of this thread which answered my above question.

MLutthans likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This to me sounds even worse than a box. How about in a can. I call this disc the Prince Albert remix. Old cliche, "Do You Have Prince Albert in a Can?", "Please Let Him Out"

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WAYYYYYY back in this thread, I referred to the sound of Mr. S's vocals as sounding as if he was singing in the phone booth across Santa Monica Blvd. from the Goldwyn Studios. A phone booth @MLutthans said he was certainly familiar with.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That phone booth must be legendary. That new remix does have elements of phone booth in terms of tonality.

MLutthans and AL01 like this.
  8. AJH

AJH Senior Member

You guys realize that the Concord CD of The Concert Sinatra was released something like nine years ago, and I still can't believe how shocked I was when I first listened to it. I don't think my ears have ever recovered from that listening experience.

9. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Well, it will forever be present as the default method for streaming the album...

... So we'll have to get 'used' to it.

10. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Certainly not me. This would be another reason why I don't stream my music. I'll listen to the version I want to listen to- in this case, the Lee Herschberg mastered EOTC CD.

11. AL01

AL01 Eh?

Oh yes, I just wanted to thank you for your recommendation of getting a (first) UK Pye pressing of this wonderful LP.

I enjoy mine a lot!

McLover likes this.
  12. zoltantamas

zoltantamas Forum Resident

My preferred version is the vinyl rip of the MFSL issue - for me the best one out there.

13. AL01

AL01 Eh?

I bought the MFSL issue and it does sound better than the first UK Pye pressing, but it is by no means a night and day difference.

How does the original CD stack up to the rest of the stereo versions of this album?

14. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Hi all, looking for some advice. I picked up a NM mono and stereo pressing of The Concert Sinatra from 1965. Is there a consensus best sounding pressing of this album.

15. MLutthans

I prefer stereo vs. mono in this one. -- but it has to be a goodie, in terms of mastering.

I still would like to know how the mono wound up with a different edit vs. the stereo.

16. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

I miss the gatefold. I have an early pressing that is vg+ but I couldn’t ignore how pristine this vinyl is.

17. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

What do you mean different edit?

18. MLutthans

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I could have mastered the last one with Cerebral Palsy, and 2 pints of DoppleBock, after 40 Botox injections, some using 2" needles in my hip muscles, calves, and hamstrings. Mine would have sounded better too. By knowing what not to do. That says something. Get the original first mastering CD, sounds honest, and unfutzed with.