The Concert Sinatra on Reprise from 1963 (including discussion of remixed Concord CD release)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thomh, Jan 28, 2003.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I think I'll stick to my pristine mono first pressing.

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  2. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

3. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Did the original CD use the half inch three track tape, or will this be the first time the CD be sourced from this tape?

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe the "original" CD (1987) used the 2-track stereo mix from back in the day.

The "Entertainer of the Century" reissue CD (1999) was a new remix from the 3-track tapes. So to answer the question: No, this will not be the first time.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven't bought any of these Concord releases yet because I have the Reprise 20 CD box. This may make me bite as I love this album.

6. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

There is a rumor that Concord will issue this on LP. They recently did a vinyl edition of Ray Charles' "Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music".

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There is also an unofficial report that there will be a "super high material alternate version" [SHM]. I don't know if this means just a version for the Japanese market (like almost all SHM-CD releases), and/or a different mastering.

8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

This is a must buy. I already own the remaster of this title, but the older Concord releases have been so good, that there's no doubt in my mind that this will be equal :). I hope "Cycles" gets this treatment aswell!

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not a mixup with the current Mobile Fidelity issue?

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sorry for posting unconfirmed information. I now believe that report may be based on the current Amazon.com product description, in which case it is totally false. Amazon is showing the description of the Universal Music Japan CD issue from two years ago.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It begins to look like this new CD release will in fact be remixed from the original 35mm mags. From a just-published interview with Frank Jr.:

Frank Sinatra, Jr. Reveals His Father's Grounded Side, Pays Tribute With 'Best of the Best' - Spinner

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Well, here's hoping...again....

Matt

13. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

:righton:

Thanks for pointing that out, Bob.

14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

15. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I wish they would get hip to it and issue both mono and stereo mixes for the Sinatra catalogue. That would be something new.

16. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks Bob (and Frank, Jr.!) for the interesting update. This release is sounding more exciting now.

If I understand the situation well enough, assembling and mixing in the digital domain may be facilitating a sync and mix that would be darn near if not impossible to do otherwise or to have done some years ago. Of course the actual quality of sound we're going to get on the final release remains to be heard...

17. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Yes my interest is growing if indeed this has be done from the mag tapes, though I'll wait for reviews here before buying.

18. rangerjohn

If Walsh (whom I presume is remixing this) treats the vocals like he did on RDD! and Sinatra-Basie (muted, muffled) then this will be a disappointment.

The bands sound great on those releases but the vocals are off. I don't know why he doesn't model these new mixes on his 80s Capitol mixes--the voice generally sounded great on those. What's the point of presenting the vocals with less reverb if you're going to make them sound more remote?

19. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Thanks for the link to the interview with Frank Jr., Bob.

20. MLutthans

I'm very eager for the CD release, and I really hope they get this one right.

Are there any known vocal overdubs on this album? There's something fishy on "Lost in the Stars." (I'm listening tonight on a scowling Frank original stereo LP, if that matters.) Parts of it sound all United/Putnamy/knob-twiddly, not Goldwyn/soundstagy/yummy (by comparison).

(Maybe this has already been discussed somewhere???? Sorry if I'm re-hashing.)

Matt

Edit: Here's a rundown of what I'm hearing, and I'm using LP timings, so they may be off a bit from the CD.

0:37 -- right in the middle of those atmospheric flute/clarinet arpeggios, there's a splice that totally shifts the stereo image, abruptly. This is all before FS enters.

Frank comes in, and that Church mic shown on the cover sounds fabulous -- so much better than the sound over at United.

1:13 to 2:48 -- "Then the Lord God hunted...." through to "and the word He'd say." I could swear that's "The United Sound" on the vocal all of a sudden: boxy, two-dimensional, somewhat tinny, odd high end, blech.

2:48 to 2:58 -- "And we're lost out here in the stars, little stars" - Goldwyn's Church mic again. Gorgeous.

2:58 to 3:33 -- Back to the box.

3:33 to 4:04 -- Goldwyn again.

Sounds overdubby to me! At bare minimum, these are edits from different takes, but that vocal tone smells like teen Putnam, IMO.

??????????????????????????

(My Heart Stood Still is no vocal-track picnic, either.)

steveinphilly and McLover like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Matt
    I pulled out my mono "Scowling Frank" this morning. I don't hear what you hear on "Lost In The Stars". But I am listening at a lower volume so I won't wake everyone in the house.

This album is becoming one of my favorites. I really enjoy the Mofi. I am looking forward to this remixed cd!

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I hear it, Matt (on the suitcase). But I don't know if it's a matter of editing between (an unknown number of) different takes that were perhaps mic'd or mixed a bit differently or later overdubbing.

Maybe the mono is different.

For what it's worth (nothin'!) I think I'd tend to prefer to hear Frank doing just one take through in most cases and not dice the flow for "better" bits here and there. Maybe we'll be hearing a partially different performance this time...

MLutthans likes this.
  23. rangerjohn

Great analysis, as always, Matt. I hope that most of the other tracks are free of intercuts. I've never noticed any, but wasn't looking for them.

I look forward to full-scale comparisons on your site when the Concord CD comes out. Do you have a mono LP for comparative purposes? Many folks around here, in addition to aoxomoxoa, have mentioned that they prefer the mono version.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I really enjoyed the MFSL reissue LP of this title.

25. MLutthans

I only recently picked up original mono and stereo LPs (I bought the CD when it came out in the 80s), and I can see why aoxomoxoa likes the mono, which strikes me as being quite nice. (The stereo LP is good, too.)

Matt