The Complete Doors Studio Albums at HDTracks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bferr1, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

You think SACDs are going to outlast computers?

And there is this wacky thing I do called "backing up my purchases" to make sure the data lasts forever.

For me, it's way easier to store music on a hardrive than it is for me to buy SACDs, add an SACD player to the mix, and find somewhere to store them once I have them.

2. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Computers are outdated the moment you bring them home and hard drives die. I want a physical item for my money.

3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Your computer may become outdated, but the files won't. After all, isn't a CD, DVD-A, or SACD simply a platform for storing 1s and 0s? If one is getting the same 1s and 0s from HDTracks along with downloaded album art, is this any different at all from buying a CD/DVD/SACD?

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

True, but storing lossless music files on a hard drive won't be outdated. The files stay pure regardless of computer changes and upgrades. Most folks backup important files (music, video, pix) onto another drive (USB drives are practically non-destructable) for safekeeping. What happens when your dog, or child takes hold of that prized SACD disc and turns it into a frisbee? ***** outta luck is where you'd be. Personally, I back up all my CDs (and most of my LPs too). Too much time and money invested in them not to. Ron

5. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Too each his own...I see the plus and minuses in either case. For me though it's much more practical to use computers/files. I'm an IT guy, have more than one computer and back stuff up on a regular schedule. Not everyone may have that luxury and I understand that. Some are just downright computer-phobic and I can understand that as well.

One thing that steers me away from SACDs is my inability to back them up. I don't have an early model PS3 and they go for unreasonable rates used, so there is no method for most to back up a SACD purchase AT ALL. I've experienced hundreds of reasons not to rely on physical media such as CDs and DVDs but with SACD there is no "ripping" unless you have a very specific setup.

6. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

at home for lunch listening to L.A. Woman. First impressions, not all that great. Lacks warmth. However, this set was still a good opportunity to grab all the albums and have them in one place and one consistent format so it's at least serving that purpose.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Is it the remix?

8. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Not a Doors expert. How can I tell? I only have the DCC of this album which is why I listened to it first. The DCC sounds better but it's the only DCC I own.

9. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I have to go back to work and don't have any more time to compare until tonight. However a real fast comparison of the song "L.a. Woman" between the DCC and the HDTracks *seems* to me to be the same mix (same relative levels between instruments...same panning). I will need more info and more time tonight to answer that question specifically.

10. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Seriously, digital is the way to go. Once you get setup, you'll never go back. Actually, you've already gone digital with a SACD...but it's just locked down, not easy to back-up and totally dependent on having a SACD player.

If my hard-drive crashes, I'll just restore my music from my back up. But when you scratch or lose your SACD, God-forbid, you're left high and dry.

I actually want both physical and digital formats. Since your "physical" SACD format is just a delivery mechanism of a digital format that you can't easily "back up" -- I want the digital file more. That way I can burn DVD-Audios, create back ups, whatever, as needed -- and, I stream them from my laptop with a click of a button!

A PC with Foobar is the greatest thing to happen to music since the invention of recording, as far as I'm concerned.

11. BalleKlorin

BalleKlorin Forum Resident

avp2029 and Mr Wensleydale like this.
  12. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I can also confirm now from listening and referring to the "Doors Remix" thread that these are the original mixes. I'm also happy to report after listening to the S/T and Morrison Hotel that these aren't nearly as bad as my first impression with L.A. Woman. Both these titles sound really good.

13. mark7

mark7 Guest

:D :laugh: :agree:

14. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Good to know these are the original mixes but are they the original mastering?

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

No, that would be an original LP.

lbangs likes this.
  16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Are the iTunes downloads MP3s or hi-rez?

17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Being an HDTracks fan, here's a story to give one pause, including me. I've been rather lazy backing up by purchases by about four months. Late this afternoon, it appeared as if my computer died. Scary indeed. Used my iPhone, discovered that removing the battery, reinstalling it, and rebooting might do the trick. It did; needless to say, all HDTracks have now been backed up.

18. mark7

mark7 Guest

I heard the S/T from this set and it sounded wonderful.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Neither. AAC.

Both Other Voices and Full Circle are now available from HDTracks at $17.98 each.

20. KeithH

Thanks. I saw another thread last night (started by you?) announcing the separate albums available for download from HDTracks.

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Not I. I did pick these up and they sound good. I don't have a good needle drop of these and my own copies are in storage, so i can't compare but I am happy with them.

22. KeithH

Thanks. I have an old bootleg two-fer on CD that sounds good, but I am eager to hear the hi-rez downloads. As a disc guy, I'll burn the downloads to DVDs.

23. RockGarden

RockGarden Forum Resident

FYI, use "Bluenote15" to save an extra 15% on your purchase.

24. KeithH

Thanks for the tip!

Keith

25. RockGarden

RockGarden Forum Resident

You bet! Just wanted to pass on a little extra savings that stumbled across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.