The Color TV Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Nov 13, 2011.

1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Our family got a colour TV for Christmas in 1968. Growing up in northern Saskatchewan in the Canadian Prairies we got one channel - CBC.

The programs that were broadcast on the national feed were in colour. As an 8-year old I was thrilled to watch the Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Hour and Wonderful World of Disney in colour.

However, all local programming (out of CKBI-TV in Prince Albert) was in black and white. This included the after-school kids' shows like Rocky & Bullwinkle & Underdog reruns as well as the news, talent shows, local talk shows and all the rest of the home-made looking fodder common to Canada in the late 60's.

So, half the time our colour TV was in black & white.

2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I would love to have this admiral TV from 1963:

64FALCON likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

In 1970, I won an RCA Color "portable" from a radio station. The called the contest the "Color Code", and you had to identify a scrambled song. I used my tape recorder to record that week's clue and then played it backwards, identifying it as "Promises, Promises" by Dionne Warwick.

It was a thrill going to the radio station to pick up my color TV. It looked a good bit like this YouTube video version.

That TV served well for a few years until I got bit by the "Trinitron" bug and had to have one of those. By that time, I was working and making enough money to splurge on such an item.

64FALCON likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

1963. My mother won it on a TV game show called "Window Shopping." It may well have been an Admiral like this.

ky658 likes this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

64FALCON likes this.
  6. FredV

FredV Senior Member

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I loved the transition from B&W to COLOR! TV It was so exciting...the colors seemed to burst out of the TV...it was all intentional to pop the colors on TV filming sets and the costumes...

anorak2 likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member