The Chameleons Strange Times 2024 45rpm Abbey Road Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Mar 29, 2024.

1. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Damn. Will probably pick up anyway as it’s the only one of the original three album run that I don’t own on CD. But seems like a big missed opportunity. Can’t see this title getting another CD release anytime soon.

For those who’ve picked it up already, any comments on packaging? I assume it’s a jewel case like Script.

Edit: apologies all, I missed the description on the band web site that answers my question: “Double CD version of Strange Times, re-mastered by Guy Massey (who undertook the Script of the Bridge restoration). Presented in a slimline double CD jewel case with brand new artwork by Reg Smithies.”

patient_ot likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Slimline double CD jewel case. New art, but no lyrics or other extras.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    nedwho likes this.
  3. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Thanks for the extra info.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A few days ago someone put scans on Discogs if you want to take a look.

nedwho likes this.
  5. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

Given the DR values of the new edition, if i can give you an advice, i'd go for the original cd pressing, still cheaply available as UK, EU or Canada pressing (the US release misses 1 track):
    The Chameleons - Strange Times
    The Chameleons - Strange Times
    The Chameleons UK - Strange Times

nedwho likes this.
  6. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Huh. Well, I just logged in here to rave about the sound of the new CD remaster.

Surprised to read all the comments thus far. I think the new remaster sounds absolutely incredible, especially compared to the prior cd's that I own (original UK 2 cd, US single cd and Japan single cd - I doubt I'll ever play those again). The bass and low end extension has been given a new life (really had none before to begin with) with plenty of presence - John's bass drum is real and sounding mighty! And the detail in the high end is clearer and more evident. But, really it's the lower end that steals the show here - that has always been lacking.

I can't comment on the vinyl, as I unfortunately don't have a playback system anymore (I did buy a couple copies of the new remaster, too), but ST is probably one of the last albums I played a couple years ago before I packed it all up. The lyrics are nice to have, but there are a few errors that are surprising they slipped into the final product. Excited to play this a few more times over the coming weekend - easily the best this album has sounded by a long shot - I think they did a great job with the sound!
    [​IMG]

SimonCH and black sheriff like this.
  7. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Well, this thread just got quite a bit more interesting! :)

8. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

My new CD arrived today too, and sadly I have to tell you not to spend your cash on this. It's basically the old CD level shifted up a couple of db and then with the top shaved off. It sounds pretty much identical otherwise. It even has the wrong cut off between Seriocity and In Answer in exactly the same place as the old CD. Hard to believe that Guy Massey put his name to this, it's nothing like the Script remaster at all. I hope the vinyl turns out better for all of you that ordered it.

Square Hammer and bug2362 like this.
  9. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

The Peel remaster is a mixed bag - yes it's louder but I prefer the first and second sessions on the remaster - there's a little more bottom end in a good way. The third (1984) session sounds awful on the remaster. On the original disc it's beautifully bright (maybe a bit too much) and crisp but the treble on the remaster is totally crushed.

Square Hammer likes this.
  10. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Just played another few bits of the new ST - I think Jerry James is right, there is a bit more bottom end on the new one, and it does sound a little less tinny like it was recorded in an empty swimming pool, but I'm pretty sure this is lifted from the same source as the original CD though.

Maybe Blue Apple and Guy Massey didn't have the analogue tapes to work with, but it's still a shame they had to make it even louder.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Square Hammer likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Here are some quick EQ comparisons of two tracks. I have not checked any other tracks yet so I can't comment on those. Every track may be a little different in terms of what was done.

Green traces are the 2024 Remaster. White/gray traces are the old Geffen CD. Light green is where they overlap.

Soul in Isolation
    [​IMG]

Paradiso
    [​IMG]

black sheriff likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Listened to the new remaster of ST in full on EQ corrected headphones this morning. While not the worst remaster I've ever heard, at least for now I don't think it's much of an improvement on the old CD.

13. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Was the 2022 double vinyl they released an official release? Does anyone know more about it?

14. Jerry James

Unlike this new release, it was not endorsed by the band members. Nor was it a remaster.

jimhb and patient_ot like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Never heard of the label that released it.

16. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Moochin' had released some authorized live Chameleons Vox releases in the past, but the band was pretty angry that they released Strange Times 2x vinyl without band involvement.

jimhb and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Did Mooch just license from Geffen/Universal? Or did they do something else?

18. Jerry James

This is printed on the bottom on the back of the LP sleeve. It is *very* small and difficult to read unless you enlarge it like this...
    [​IMG]

jimhb and BeauZooka like this.
  19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Hi uh
    I wonder what their source was. I talked to Mark’s partner a couple years ago. She said she thought the original tapes were destroyed in the Universal Fire… but that Mark was trying his best to find the best possible source.

20. Jerry James

I seem to remember reading something about the source from a reliable... source (ha!) a while back that it was nothing special, but didn't commit it to memory since I knew I wouldn't be opening the vinyl I ordered (just wanted it for the collection at that/this point).

I last saw Mark in Chicago about 12 (??) years ago, and was bugging him about a possible Strange Times reissue, and he didn't mention anything about the original tapes one way or the other. I just purchased tickets to see them at the Seattle show in June, and as usual; I'll be full of questions for him....

21. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

It was recorded in England so I heard the masters were still safe. They probably sent a copy of the master to the US for record duplication back in ‘86. I think Mark mentioned this in one of the Chameleons Facebook groups.

jimhb likes this.
  22. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

I may be wrong but I think it was the other way around, the masters were in the US but there was a backup in London.

23. Distortions

Distortions Forum Resident

I just received the CD today. It sounds ok, perhaps a little bit better than my old US Geffen CD. I probably should have waited to read the reviews here before ordering, but I like the “new” cover art. I ended up ordering a T-shirt as well.

I wonder how the reissue LP sounds. I have an original US vinyl pressing, which sounds great imho.

SimonCH and BeauZooka like this.
  24. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Afraid to say the lps are unremarkable. It is not in the league of the script reissue and I prefer my us and uk originals. However the snaps in caution are in full effect. It’s odd it seeems they had a hold of overdubs but the basic tracks sound a bit muffled. Not sure if this has to do with what was on the tapes to work with. Anyway suggest people try for themselves and if there’s any band that deserve support it’s these guys.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. SimonCH

SimonCH Forum Resident

I agree. It is a bit too loud, BUT I am hearing significantly more detail - and I know this album very well from playing it so much over the years. I’m getting more ‘musicality’, for want of a better word, from it. And yes the bass is transformed. So for me: not perfect but still money well spent, it will be my go-to version now.

Jerry James likes this.