The Bose 901: A trilogy in three parts...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have heard the 901 over a dozen different times. And in 9 or so different systems. When they are placed correctly in a good room, they're decent sounding. They need to be at ear level with around 3" or 4" feet of space around them and paired with really good amplifiers and sources. They are one of the toughest systems about room placement short of electrostatic speakers.

2. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I don't think any combination of equipment can reproduce the live event. We're only talking about varying degrees of authenticity. Obviously stereo reproduction is seeking to create an illusion. Choose your illusion... i.e. whatever is most pleasing to you, or whichever is best able to "fool" you for a moment into thinking you're in a live venue. Of course, most pop music does not even pretend to have an intention to reproduce a live experience -- in which case you need a different standard.

I am generally concerned with three things. 1.The ability of the system to extract detail, to separate the voices and instruments into individually audible entities. 2. The ability of the system to present that detail in a pleasing manner (nice instrumental timbre plus freedom from booms, shrieks, hash, and other annoyances that defocus the elements within the soundstage or stand out apart from it). 3. The ability of the system to reproduce dynamic contrasts, especially microdynamics.

What I listen to these days isn't top notch in any of these categories. Nevertheless, these would be my goals, if I were to start making improvements. I'm not that picky about "imaging" as such. However, the reproduction of detail and image specificity tend to go hand in hand.

I agree that your statement does represent Bose's premise for the 901s. The question is whether their answer to the problem actually solves it. :)

3. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

Jeff,

Saw you last night, but I couldn't say Hi because everyone was chatting with you about this review. I couldn't get a second in to say Hi. Sorry.

4. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry, you didn't push your way in, I would have loved to get out of that discussion! :) Next time.

5. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

It's funny you'd mention the open-back mid and vented tube concept: I had a pair of speakers from Radio Shack from back in the 80's that used that exact design. They were a 3-way with an open-back mid driver. A 4-5" tube ran from the back of the mid and exited out the rear of the speaker. They were cheap speakers, but they did have a nice natural, open midrange quality.

Von Schweikert has used rear-firing tweeters, too.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think you mean JBL instead of JVC. JBL is huge in the live sound business. In fact, JBL is what I see being used for playback on movie & TV sets most often, in music video or commercial situations.

I have heard Bose speakers in some nightclubs and outdoor concerts, and thought they sounded awful. But then, I've also heard some pretty large line-array systems sound awful just through funky EQ. The Greek Theater in LA just about roasted my ears, the last time I was there; I swear, they were pumped up about 15dB at 4K or something, just shrieky and nasty beyond belief. The Hollywood Bowl sounds a thousand times better. Neither use Bose -- I think they're both JBL or QSC.

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Correct.:righton:

8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Okay, Jeff, it's Friday evening, we're waaaaaaaaaaaitinnnnnnnnnnng......

9. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Long day, It's going to be morning...

You'll all have to hang on for 12 more hours!

:)

10. Sure they are. I see them all the time, about as much as JBL. They are mainstays in the small clubs and sidewalk cafes around here.

11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Perhaps, but nowhere else.

12. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

Really looking forward for the review!

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

This is the Bose model popular at cafes, small clubs, etc. The L1...maybe some don't realize it's even Bose.

[​IMG]

14. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

Is that a bass module I see?

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

9:04 a.m.: Beautiful day in my neck of the woods. Gotta get outside and enjoy, right? Nah, Bose 901 part 2 is out today. I guess I can't make fun of the Apple groupies in their tents anymore!

16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

That's so cool that they come with a toaster. Bose is so forward-thinking! ;)

17. Coytee

Coytee New Member

Didn't they patent the toaster? :D

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Your first post in six years; man you are on a streak. :righton:

19. Attached Files:

20. No, these things are everywhere in live sound. The Bose 802's are one time were the rage in PA's and now instead of being a hot product, they are a mainstay. If you haven't seen them out and about, I don't know what to say.

21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Yes I agree with you, they are in a lot of places, but mostly very small venues or clubs.

They are not "true" sound reinforcement for big crowds or large venues.

Although Bose does make a wide variety of sound reinforcement products that im sure many in the forum are totally unfamiliar with. Most seem to be of the small to moderate size venue types.

See this:

http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/web/large_medium_format_sr/page.html

22. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

23. Yeah, I am not talking about stadium sound applications, I am talking about the kinds of venues you'd go out and about to see local musicians playing live. You know, the mainstay of live music! I guess St. Louis is pretty lucky that is has a vibrant music scene including a lot of club venues and outdoor performances and that's the size and type of performance I am talking about.

24. Not sure what you mean? Like I live in an alien world or something?

25. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

No, but they patented the hole that the toast come up out of. They filed suit against Proctor Silex for using the same hole shape, and the judge awarded Bose 8 million dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.