The Bose 901: A trilogy in three parts...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I was referring to the goal of hi-end audio in our homes and not amplification of a live event. With that said, I wonder how many here are going to celebrate the fidelity of PA's?

2. I'm just saying that your specific criticism of Bose is misplaced by virtue of Boae being ubiquitous in the live performance world. If the goal is fidelity to the original recording, and the original performance was played through Bose PA's, then you are stuck with the sound coming out of those PA's. "High fidelity" does not always mean good sound, it means true to the original performance.

In that way, I'm not a "high fidelity" kind of guy--I want pleasing sound, and if my system can make a crappy recording sound good, that's all the better for me.

3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

True to the original recording, not true to the original performance. That said I agree that "high fidelity' does not always equal good sound.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

So the 901's sounded good and tasted good as well? ;) :)

5. Last year, I was over to my daughter's friend's parents' house for dinner and there was a pair of Bose 901's shoved into the corners of the living room (behind couches and side tables, as speakers are wont to be in most people's houses). They looked to be older models--probably dating from the 80's. They obviously had not been bought post-2000. The stereo was not turned on. The last time I heard a pair of Bose 901's was around 1990 and frankly, I don't remember anything about their sound. I always thought the pedestals were cool in an Eero Saarinen kind of way.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

How many original recordings are made by capturing the output of PA speakers? Bottom line here is that Bose (with the 901s, etc) does not strive to faithfully reconstruct a recording in our own listening space. They confuse the masses into believing that inflated sound all over the living room is the way to go (using room reflections). Frankly, this marketing tactic will work because the chance that the average person will stumble across an experience with a true hi-end system is slim to none. I'm hopeful that this situation will improve over time.

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

me too. It appears doomed to be a niche market. I'm just hoping even that survives the next decade.

-Bill

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They prefer it that way. The stands are all that I have left from rebuilding several pairs over the years. A huge PITA that is too. Sometime I make make something from them. Maybe some art/game tables for my daughter. Too short and too wide for much else.
    -Bill

9. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

.....and many of us are all too familiar with crappy recordings. :( And these existed long before the loudness/overcompression war began. Many audiophiles seemingly only listen to well-recorded music (even if they don't enjoy th emusic itself!), so have no idea what us low-standard ;) audio hobbyists that love music have to deal with.
    This is why I think until around the late 80s, many speaker manufacturers included certain coatings, crossover elements and other methods to intentionally soften the sonic uglies contained in those crummy recordings, despite the sacrifice in overall accuracy. Not to mention the fact that many people are blessed with better-than-average hearing and listening to bright/grainy/overcompressed music - very common with rock and pop recordings - not very enjoyable and a speaker that reduces the audibility of those artifacts is a blessing, not a curse. This is why I believe those Andrew Jones-designed Pioneers are so popular: while still providing a good dose of detail, their overall sonic personality is one of smoothness & warmth, something really difficult to find at their price point these days.

10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Bose speakers are in no way "ubiquitous" in pro audio / PA world. The only time I ever see them is in specific situations like coffee shop acoustic events and such. Even then, they would hugely outclassed by models from JVC, Mackie, even Behringer betters Bose's modest live sound support options.

11. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

...but look at all the sound waves you get for the money! ;)

Attached Files:

12. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

You're all getting a little off track again...

13. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Straighten them out Jeff... publish part II :righton:

14. Yep! Bring on part two! Must keep the lions at bay!

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

A-a-a-and that Free Bag of Sugar you all have been waiting for

More Meat!

16. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

I think Bose' premise with the 901 is that two unidirectional (above 300Hz) speakers in a typical living room can not reproduce the experience of a live musical event, regardless of the quality of the recording.

17. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

I wanna see specs never published before :)

18. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Better yet: with modern photo equipment, some smoke and a bunch of lasers... show us all the individual reflected wave paths!

19. 926am

926am Senior Member

Whoa now! Somebody may get hurt.....:eek:

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

part two will go up on sat...

21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Agreed. I don't recall ever seeing Bose in a PA situation. I mostly notice JBL.

Doug

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Time to take these 901s to the woodshed!!!?? Curious to find if they are setting a new standard in fidelity.

23. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

24. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Which is probably why there are other companies who offer speakers that emit sound from more than just one direction (though not in the same manner as the 901s) e.g. Magnepan, Quad, Definitive Technology, Martin-Logan, and "open backed" speakers that use conventional drivers mounted on a flat baffle like the Jamo R909 and all those DIY designs like this one (67 pages so far!). Not to mention all those other speakers over the years - and right now - that are equipped with a tweeter mounted on the back of an otherwise conventional speaker system to add "air" to what is emitted by the front-facing drivers. The Genesis G7.1c Signature is an example of this along with the Linkwitz Lab "Orion", an open-backed hybrid system (some speakers, I think one sold right now but cannot remember the manufacturer, also used a midrange driver mounted in a large tube that was open at the back of the enclosure, so the output from the rear of that driver's cone could supplement what was produced at the front).

25. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

A local tavern had a pair or two of 901's driven by a crown DC 150 and a marantz reciever as a phono stage. The 901's were good for cutting through the din of the crowd noise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.