The big comparison of Iron Maiden CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldschool, Mar 19, 2009.

1. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

Roland, this is awesome. Maiden has a lot of "b-sides" from different sources and I was thinking that it would be great to have a favorite versions of individual songs sort of thing (at least trough around '96, '98). Thanks!

This is sort of a sub-topic of the thread. Did you take into consideration compilations like Best Of The Beast? BOTB may not have a different mastering than the Castles and/or EMI's. By the way, I consider BOTB to be Maiden's ultimate best-of collection (the 2-CD or the 4-vinyl version).

2. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

This could make for another one of your useful threads, Roland... :thumbsup:

3. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I agree with you, and it's so great because it doesn't only contain singles/concert staples...

You can't have a Best-Of-Maiden worthy of that name without stuff like Where Eagles Dare or The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, can you?

4. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss Thread Starter

Somewhat I seem to prefer the 1CD version of BOTB :eek:

5. O.k., I fooled around with CoolEditPro a little bit to see whether I can EQ the "Piece of Mind" CD to match (sort of) the two tracks which can be found on "The First Ten Years - Vol. V" EP.

Here's what I came up with. I have to burn a CD-R with that adjustment to see whether I like the result any better than the original mastering.

Attached Files:

• EQ.gif
      EQ.gif
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
    • EQ2.jpg
      EQ2.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
  6. With regards to song selection or mastering?

7. No, I have never heard "Best of the Beast". Isn't it a relatively new release? I would have expected it to have the remastered version of the songs, or at least some kind of modern mastering (compression etc.) applied. Is this not the case?

Any wav-forms from any tracks from that compilation?

8. Maybe someday, but this thread isn't so bad after all and has a lot of useful information.

9. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I recently bought an adequate copy of the U.S. vinyl just for listening (have wanted it for 20+ years) and even on my little system it blows away the U.S. Cap CD, it's not even funny.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. The Rush Fan

Best Of The Beast is from 1996 (two years before the first batch of remasters) and is out of print. BOTB still came out on the Castle label and EMI in the UK of course. HERE'S what Wikipedia has to say about it.

I suspect it has the same mastering as the Castle and EMI releases from a year before. I'll pick a song or two from the albums discussed so far and run EAC peak levels or waveforms including BOTB. I am fortunate to have all versions of this release! :)

11. oldschool

I seem to prefer the focus of the 1CD version, the 2CD one has more tracks, but I find myself often browsing through it and not listening from start to finish.

Also, at one point I had the Castle 2CD Limited Edition of BOTB. It has a thick cardboard box and a huge booklet, really nicely done, tons of info inside. The CDs are inserted in paper pocket inside the booklet, very prone to scratching.
    The mastering was badl. The tracks had very audible noise (haven't heard any noise on any other version) and were maximized. Not excessively, but still maximized. I don't know if the original EMI UK 2CD edition also has these issues. The 1CD sounds great.

12. O.k., I did burn a CD-R with the respective EQ setting. Sure sounds much better than the original mastering in my opinion. Still, it's not quite as good as "The First Ten Years" version.

By the way, the EQ difference between the original EMI CD and the FTY version is not identical for "Flight of Icarus" and for "The Trooper". I went with the EQ adjustment to match "Flight of Icarus" best as possible, but the resulting version of "The Trooper" on the re-EQ'd CD-R sounds noticeably different to the version which can be found on "The First Ten Years", but not bad.

I like this re-EQ'd version much better, and maybe I should invest in a good EQ for my stereo. It seems like you can help some CD's quite a bit that way.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. oldschool

Here's the final Piece of Mind

Attached Files:

Dave likes this.
  14. oldschool

Continuing with POWERSLAVE. I only have the 2CD Castle.

Duration is 51'00", will update in the next table.

Attached Files:

15. The Rush Fan

Here are the EAC peak levels from my US Capitol copy. Looks the same as the Castle.
    CAPITOL CDP 7 46045 2
    (DIDX 247)
    Manufactured for Capitol Records, Inc. Made in USA
    Matrix: CDP-4605 SRC-01

Aces High.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

2 Minutes to Midnight.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

Losfer Words (Big 'Orra).wav
    Peak level 87.7 %

Flash of the Blade.wav
    Peak level 100.0 %

The Duellists.wav
    Peak level 99.5 %

Back in the Village.wav
    Peak level 98.4 %

Powerslave.wav
    Peak level 96.4 %

Rime of the Ancient Mariner.wav
    Peak level 93.1 %

16. The Rush Fan

I ran EAC peak levels for disc 2 of both the Castle and the EMI version and they are both the same. I made some waveforms from the song Hallowed Be Thy Name off the Castle 2-CD BOTB, the EMI 2-CD BOTB and just for kicks, the 1998 Raw Power remaster off TNOTB. I have the 1-CD version of BOTB on Castle, but I haven't done an EAC for it (yet).

Hallowed Be Thy Name from BOTB 2-CD, Castle. EAC peak level 90.1%
    [​IMG]

Hallowed Be Thy Name from BOTB 2-CD, EMI. EAC peak level 90.1%
    [​IMG]
    A little bit louder perhaps?

Hallowed Be Thy Name from TNOTB, 1998 Raw Power remaster. EAC peak level 98.8%
    [​IMG]
    Forget about it!

In the credits for the 1 and 2-CD versions of BOTB it says: "Re-mastered by Simon Heyworth and Murray Harris at Chop Em Out". The NOTB 1998 remaster states: "Remastered by Simon Heyworth at Chop 'Em Out". The EAC peak levels for the song are different from the ones listed in post #87

Different mastering for Best Of The Beast?

--

Oldschool, I haven't had a comprehensive listening session yet, but when I do, I'll look for the noise you mention. Actually, the 2-CD version is quite listenable to my ears. Is the difference you hear between the 2-CD and the 1-CD versions very big?

17. oldschool

IIRC, the 1CD sounded better to me.

I don't have any of them now to do a new comparison, though. I probably have a CD-R of the original BOTB somewhere. If I find it, we can also do a comparison for BOTB ;)

18. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Best Of The Beast, as roland pointed out above, credits Simon Heyworth and Murray Harris for remastering, whereas the '98 remasters only credit Simon Heyworth... I wonder if the name Murray Harris is just a way of saying Steve and Davey were involved?

On a curious note, the '98 remasters up to Powerlsave all credit Simon Heyworth... the rest have no remastering credit, even though on the back insert it says "digitally remastered"...

19. I want to post POWERSLAVE EAC peaks but EAC isn't recognizing my CD drives anymore. Wierd, I installed IE8, maybe that has something to do with it.

20. Here's the wav-form of "Hallowed Be Thy Name" from the original EMI CD for comparison.

Attached Files:

21. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Moving on to Powerslave, here's my EMI 2CD:

IRON MAIDEN / Powerslave

EMI 7243 8 35872 2 3
    UK: CDEM 1574
    MATRIX: EMI UDEN 8360412 @ 2 / 2-1-2-NL
    Marketed And Distributed By EMI
    Made In Holland

Total time: 0:50:58.30

Pista 1

Nombre de Archivo 01. Track01.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 100.0 %
    Test CRC 0256A921
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [A6F0EC20], AccurateRip devuelto [96CD3054]
    Copia OK

Pista 2

Nombre de Archivo 02. Track02.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 99.9 %
    Test CRC C61A7F2B
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [5DE982E0], AccurateRip devuelto [4AF536F1]
    Copia OK

Pista 3

Nombre de Archivo 03. Track03.wav

Nivel Pico 93.6 %
    Calidad de Pista 100.0 %
    Test CRC A4AEE567
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 5) [5A1AC18A], AccurateRip devuelto [D893530A]
    Copia OK

Pista 4

Nombre de Archivo 04. Track04.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 99.9 %
    Test CRC 864D40D1
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [B0C03ACF], AccurateRip devuelto [E1516BD3]
    Copia OK

Pista 5

Nombre de Archivo 05. Track05.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 99.9 %
    Test CRC 2C5781A5
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [5F5C39EA], AccurateRip devuelto [67C99E32]
    Copia OK

Pista 6

Nombre de Archivo 06. Track06.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 100.0 %
    Test CRC D5F92755
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [E0FB2DB5], AccurateRip devuelto [ACDE5871]
    Copia OK

Pista 7

Nombre de Archivo 07. Track07.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 99.9 %
    Test CRC 1C223DD1
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [532B3CB6], AccurateRip devuelto [3CCCE9B8]
    Copia OK

Pista 8

Nombre de Archivo 08. Track08.wav

Nivel Pico 97.7 %
    Calidad de Pista 99.9 %
    Test CRC 99F6E034
    No se puede verificar como preciso (confianza 6) [061FC42D], AccurateRip devuelto [14958597]
    Copia OK

No se verificará ninguna pista como precisa
    Puede que tengas una edición diferente a la(s) de la base de datos

Sin Errores

Final del Informe

22. oldschool

Would you also check for the total play time?

Attached Files:

23. Bosco82

Bosco82 Forum Resident

The total play time of the Capitol is 50:58.
    The Matrix For The Capitol is CDP-46045 SRC-01.

24. You should check under "EAC" => "EAC Options" => "Interface" => if "Native Win32 interface" is selected. It sometimes switches to "external ASPI interface" for whatever reason.

25. oldschool

Yeah, they should fix that bug.