The big comparison of Iron Maiden CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oldschool, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

Thank you.

Fortunately, I do have equivalent CD versions; for example:

• a 1988 first US Capitol debut (CDP 7 91415 2)
    • a 1991 (circa) first Australasian EMI Piece of Mind (7 46363 2)
    • a 1986 (circa) third European (West German) EMI Powerslave (CDP 7 46045 2)
    • a 1993 (circa) first European (Dutch) EMI Somewhere in Time (CDP 7463412).
    And I am reassured by:

Rukiki, Gus Tomato and JediJoker like this.
  2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Dude, They remastered The Final Frontier in 2015 and that album only came out in 2010

JediJoker likes this.
  3. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

Correction: My first European (Dutch) EMI Somewhere in Time (CDP 7463412) was probably released around 1991 rather than 1993, as on reflexion I'm pretty sure my Dad bought it for me that year, when I was 15.

Gus Tomato likes this.
  4. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Sounds like you know your Maiden!
    If you have heard them, where would the EMI 1995 2cd reissues rank in your opinion against the best masterings for the ‘golden years’ of the band?

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't know how many official live recordings are in the 'vault,' but it might be cool to have them start a live archive like Fugazi did with official downloads available (professionally recorded or otherwise) for fans to hear the shows they saw.

Dare I say they could put together an 'official live bootleg' version of the SIT tour from fan recordings, we all know what's out there.

6. Calvinist

Calvinist Forum Resident

I have three of the EMI 1995 double-CD reissues: Powerslave, No Prayer and Fear of the Dark.

I gather some of this forum find them inferior to the original EMI CDs.

However, I think they sound no less good; and No Prayer and Fear give you B-sides beyond the First 10 Years set (which incidentally sounds better to me than any other CD version of Maiden).

I also have the Castle 1995 double-CD, which has the 5-track version of Maiden Japan.

All that said, to my ears, almost any vinyl pressing trumps the best CD from Piece of Mind to Seventh Son inclusive.

Bananas&blow and Gus Tomato like this.
  7. Gus Tomato

They’re pretty much clones of the early UK CDs is what I always believed.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

No prayer for the listener.

9. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Has anyone bothered to compare the 2015 versions against the original cd's of the post-reunion albums (Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier)?

Are they better? worse? the difference is so subtle that it's not worth bothering?

:confused::help:

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Someone uploaded most of them to the DR database, all the 2019 issues here are the 2015 remasters. If they're different, they aren't any better dynamically, at least. Album list - Dynamic Range DB

JediJoker and Rukiki like this.
  11. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

Thank you! I just looked at the DRs and it looks bad.

Seems to me that with the 2015 remasters of those albums you're buying the same dog with a different collar :whistle:

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Still touting the '95 Castle double CD sets. It's the best sounding 1980 S/T & 1981 Killers, out there...

Especially the bonus songs on CD 2 :righton:

Gus Tomato likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

yeah I have no idea what the point of those reissues were

Rukiki likes this.
  14. Gus Tomato

I can remember a Bruce interview where he said Maiden signed a massive deal back in the late 90’s (he wasn’t in the band at the time) for the rights to their CDs sales to, I think he said, a Japanese company, and that deal had an expiration date. So I’m guessing those 2015’s are the end of that deal, everything ‘in-house’ again so-to-speak.

Bingo Bongo, IONLYlisten and Rukiki like this.