The best SHM-SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Indeed, the Bruckner is outstanding. I believe I only gave an honorable mention to the Bartok/Solti. I have that on now and think it might be the pick of the litter in terms of sonics.

2. MisterBritt

As I mentioned in another SHM-SACD thread, this afternoon I succumbed to the pressure of the 4+1 campaign's imminent deadline. I shall update my inventory, including items en route:

Classical:
    Liszt/Arrau -- en route
    Chopin/Pollini -- en route
    Beethoven/Szell -- en route
    Mussorgsky/Gergiev -- en route
    R. Strauss -- Eine Alpensinphonie/Thielemann -- en route
    Bruckner/Bohm
    Beethoven/Klieber
    Stravinsky/Salonen
    R. Strauss -- Also Sprach Zarathustra/Karajan
    Mozart/Bohm
    Berlioz/Davis
    Bartok/Solti

Rock
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -- en route
    Rolling Stones -- Beggars Banquet -- en route
    Rolling Stones -- Let It Bleed
    Rod Stewart -- Gasoline Alley
    Blind Faith -s/t
    Kiss -- Destroyer
    10CC -- The Original Soundtrack
    Dire Straits -- s/t
    Black Sabbath -- Paranoid
    The Who -- Who's Next
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    Steely Dan -- Aja
    Moody Blues -- EGBDF
    Wishbone Ash - Argus -- en route
    Traffic - John Barleycorn -- en route
    Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief -- en route

This should complete my Adventures in Hi-Fi until next year. :)

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Great .... but a "stinker" in your list. The Moddy Blues sounds bad. I sold my copy immediately.

4. Claus

Well.... Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra is one of my favorites. I heard so many versions, and no one comes close to Reiner's. One of the Top 10 Classical recordings IMO. Great performance.... and almost audiophile sound.

5. MisterBritt

I had never owned that before. I had it on just last night and was digging it. There might be better versions out there, but I'm not going to hunt them down. What I would really like is the Moody Blues "Nights in White Satin." I would eat that up.

6. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Is your inventory considered "the best", in the spirit of this thread?

7. MisterBritt

Well, the recently purchased ones that are still "en route" I obviously haven't heard yet. But let me put my mind to it and I'll put them -- if not in ranking order -- at least in some broad categories.

I have been contemplating that on many of these -- and I'm mostly thinking about the flat transfers -- the output is so good that much of the variation in opinions is more reflective of one's system and one's room, than the actual SHM-SACD product. That's not my final answer. But it is something I have been thinking about.

Extrapolation isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind. The excessive highs and weak lows we are reading about might be more the result of either one's system or room. Meaning, the weak link in listening satisfaction isn't the SHM-SACD, it's the reference playback equipment or the room.

For myself, for instance, I know the Beethoven/Klieber is driving me nuts. Do you or anyone else have that one? What do you think?

8. I have not read too many comments on Free's "Fire And Water" SHM-SACD. I really like the band and the album, and I was wondering if the SHM-SACD is really noticeably/significantly better than the early Island CD mastering (which can be found on early Japanese CD pressings and early Island CD pressings from the UK).

And how about Wishbone Ash's "Argus"?

I know there are some folks who pretty much like all of them, and that kind of recommendation doesn't really help me. I would love to hear some comments from people who are usually quite critical of these SHM-SACD's.

I did buy "Who's Next" by recommendation of Rick, and I would trust his hears with any other recommendations as well. There are quite a few other folks who's opinion on sound quality I value very much. Please come forward if you heard these two albums.

I also like Cream and Rod Stewart, but the existing audiophile CD releases (DCC and MFSL) are really quite good and I am happy with them. Even though SACD has a resolution advantage, I still believe that the mastering decisions and available tapes and playback equipment have much more influence on the end result than the format itself.

9. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

To me, Moody Blues, sounds not worser than the original sacd.

Still haven't received my copy of Fairport Convention ... Hope it didn't get lost.

Next order will be: Rod Stewart & Rolling Stones

In january I'll continue with Elton John & Gentle Giant.

10. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

+1 on the Free disc. real curious about that one. Also, what are you referring to when you say the previous Stewart on audiophile. There is no DCC or MFSL of Gasoline Alley.

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Is it way better than the SACD released a few years back?:cheers:

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is just my third SHM-SACD, but I love it. They nailed it. Outstanding. It sounds so natural. The music just flows effortlessly. Every instrument sounds right (love the cymbals in "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding"). I could listen to this disc all day.

The SHM-SACD kills the original SACD.

(If anyone requires more hyperbole, let me know and I'll be happy to oblige. I just love this SHM-SACD. :D)

13. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith...did you get a chance to compare the SHM SACD to the Mofi CD? i.e. Bass, high end, etc

14. KeithH

No, I have not yet. It's been awhile since I listened to the MFSL gold disc, but I don't recall it having this much air and depth.

15. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I think you remember pretty well. :righton:

16. Sorry, I mixed that up with "Every Picture Tells a Story".

Maybe I have to consider Gasoline Alley, if it is really good.

17. MisterBritt

Are you asking if it is really good? If you are asking, I would read up on it in other threads. There has been quite a bit written about that one. I give it a thumbs up, and I am not alone. Even so, I'm not sure I am in the majority.

18. Sander

Sander Senior Member

You are certainly not alone. I'm lovin' Gasoline Alley, IMO it's very crankable without any fatigue on the ears and the instrument clarity is great. :edthumbs:

19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Keith, I'm very happy to read your quick review, as I recently ordered the SHM-SACD of this one. I also pre-ordered the upcoming SHM-SACD Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key Of Life", even though I know that Audio Fidelity is also releasing that one next year, but, especially since we know for a fact that Stevie isn't loaning out his original master tapes, I'm willing to bet that the Japanese do it better than whatever A.F. ends up releasing. I can promise you that 2 or more years ago, you would have never heard me say that about A.F. and it hurts me to actually say it.

Chris C

20. KeithH

When I listened to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on my better stereo system yesterday (Sony SCD-777ES, NAD C 370/C 270, Totem Arro), I kept cranking it louder and louder and eventually detected some harshness. Perhaps that is inherent to the recording or is an issue with my system. I had the system plenty loud when I detected the harshness.

All in all, I am still very happy with this SHM-SACD. I could still play it loud with it sounding pleasant.

Not to get off-topic, but Audio Fidelity still does not show Songs in the Key of Life as an upcoming release. Here's hoping they do release it. Still, I have the SHM-SACD on preorder.

21. kaleidakol

kaleidakol Active Member

Favorite SHM

My favorite is the Who's Next

22. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

UNLESS= You want surround and not just stereo.:wave:

23. KeithH

True. Multichannel is not a priority for me.

Although I much prefer the SHM-SACD, I will still keep the original SACD. Then again, I keep everything. :D Seriously, I have the original SACD if I want to hear the multichannel track, plus I have the version with the bonus DVD.

24. Claus

Right... I like the Bonus Live on the Double SACD, but I will no more listen to the SACD. This one sounds really bad against the SHM.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The presentation of the Fairport Convention just sounds so natural and flows well. Everything sounds nearly perfect to my ears. Ms. Denny's voice is like a "beautiful flower" shining well though the instrumentation.

The SHM-SACD is very smooth sounding. The cymbals might not be "etched" well, but they don't sound bright and unnatural. The drums can sound a bit "boxy" at times, but I believe that is a function of the recording more than anything to do with it being an SHM-SACD.

Listening to the Fairport Convention (which I did for a second time just a little while ago) reminds nearly of what a good analog presentation sounds like. The SHM-SACD doesn't have a "digital" sound, but one that is very analog in nature.

I know you have this title on its way to you, so I look forward to see what you think (and don't be afraid to controvert my opinion).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.