The best SHM-SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Although these particular Gershwin recordings with Ozawa are magnificent and I treasure them for years on vinyl and CD, I have ordered this one for these special Russo works "Street music", and "Three short pieces" featuring the C Siegel Blues Band that I adore. If you do not know them, you are in for a treat!

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2717

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

100% agree. :righton:
    DG is notorious for the house sound, but these Ozawa's recordings are so exceptional thanks to the contribution of the producer, Thomas Mowrey.

3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Understandable. But is there anything that is inherrently superior about the format? Or is this simply just another opportunity to MAYBE get a superior mastering than previously existed, and at a much-inflated price?

4. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

Thanks to both of you ! I'll include the Gershwin/Ozawa in my next 4+1.

Best,

Robert

5. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Roger all this. Excellent post. Great information. I checked the Mobile Fidelity website and do not see any Gershwin.

http://www.mofi.com/store/pc/home.asp

Sounds like American in Paris is worth having. I may slip that in before the 30th (which would be the 31st in Japan).

6. Robert Lan

Here's my follow-up on the Beethoven/Kleiber.

I compared the 4th movement of Symphony No. 5 from the SACD and SHM-SACD last night, and to my surprise the SHM proved far superior in terms of soundstage depth. It's not so much that there's any difference in how much information is on the disc—it's the same. No, it's more as if the SHM sheds more light all the way to the back and corners of the stage, whereas the SACD tends to blur much of the ambience found at the very back. The immediate effect of this is a clear sense of getting a fuller picture of the music recorded in the hall—the Musikverein Groβer Saal—from the SHM than from the SACD. I went back and forth between the discs three times, and was amazed at the difference. The SHM is definitely doing a better job with that recording. I also enjoyed the complete lack of congestion, even when listening at higher-than-usual volume levels—which the SHM presentation invites. So to me, the SHM is a clear upgrade over the SACD. Hence, to those who already have the SACD and appreciate Kleiber's interpretation, I would now suggest you try the SHM, as I honestly hear a significant difference between the two. The sound is excellent.

Best,

Robert

7. Robert Lan

I just ordered this and a couple other January titles along with an earlier one from CDJapan, but didn't get the +1 link in the confirmation email. I emailed them asking whether my order would qualify for a 4+1.

The question whether titles not shown on the official 4+1 page would still qualify has been raised by a few other members. I'll post back when I get a reply from CDJapan.

Best,

Robert

8. Robert Lan

Here's the reply I received from CDJapan this morning:

So it's not working for any pre-order titles except the five already listed on the official 4+1 page.

Best,

Robert

9. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Did CD Japan still give you an option to order different titles?

Ack! Looks like no "My Generation."

10. Robert Lan

No, there was no such option. I asked them to cancel my order.

I'll have to look closely into what's on that official 4+1 page and decide if there's anything I really want.

Best,

Robert

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I fully agree. Listening to it right now. Perfect disc!

I was also amazed.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am still waiting for my 4+1 to ship. Cdjapan told me that Goodbye Yellow Brick road is not stock. WTF!?

13. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

When did you place your order? I placed mine on Dec. 23 and my status says "Not Yet Shipped," with a clarifier of "In Shipping Process."

See this thread here as well:

Dec.28 2010 -Jan. 3 2011: CDJapan.com still placing orders but on mini-vacation
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=237380

14. metalmunk84

metalmunk84 Forum Resident

Anybody had a chance to hear the SHM-SACD of "Come An' Get It" by Whitesnake?

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just finished listening to my copy today. I have no other version of this album to compare the SHM-SACD to so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The sonic presentation sounded pretty natural for a 1980's produced "heavy metal" album. I could turn up the volume fairly loud without any harshness or distortion. The music was mostly in the midrange... not really a deep low end, but enough, and the high end sounded pretty good - not bright at all. A nice disc for what it is... but I would like to hear others compare this disc to previous CD versions to see if it that good.

I was very pleased with what I heard... not the best SHM-SACD (sonically), but I am pleased with my purchase. That said, should this title really be mentioned in "the best of SHM-SACDs" thread? Probably not.. definitely not the best SHM-SACD in comparison to all the others I have.

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I also just finished listening to "Leige and Lief" by Fairport Convention. I might tend to rate this disc in a list of some of the better SHM-SACDs. This was mastered in Europe by Kevin Vanbergen at FX Copyroom... and all the SHM-SACDs he mastered all seem to be winners in my book, and the Fairport Convention is no exception.

Nice low end, natural and low. The mids are smooth as butter and the highs are just right.

Anyone else think the Fairport Convention disc is one of the better SHM-SACDs?

17. MisterBritt

How are the vocals?
    See also: drums and cymbals
    See also: guitars
    See also: bass

I'm very close on pulling the trigger on this one. I sold my Japan Mini LP, among others, when this SHM-SACD was announced, but I've been slow to replace all those sold items. More in response to your recent post on another thread (well, I'm twisting it a bit but I don't think counter-contextually), I think I have learned to live without a bunch of music I never really listened to anyway. So I would be interested in any further observations or specific details you might wish to share.

18. MisterBritt

To be clear, I carefully read your notes about the lows, mids and highs. I am just curious about whether the specific voices and instruments are etched well into the sound stage. Whether they are recorded and mixed appropriately, that sort of thing. So any thoughts along those lines would be appreciated. I probably didn't spend enough time with it when I had a copy. :)

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

It's definitely better as the Deluxe Edition.... of course not on the same high level like The Who, Cream or Caravan.

By the way... The Bruckner is outstanding.

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Has anyone had the opportunity to head the SHM-SACD Outlandos d'Amour by The Police? I missed out on the 2003 release and was wondering if it's worth it, even at these astronomical prices. Thanks!
    Ruben

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

MY advice - take the money, place it in a pile and burn it. Will give you more warmth and entertainment in the 10 seconds before is disappears then that horrible SACD mastering ever will.

Seriously, If you value your money get the low priced original CD, save $55 and still have the best sound on digital format.

22. MisterBritt

I keep trotting this one back out. They say crazy is doing the same thing time and again, and expecting different results. Boy, I don't know. The weird thing is, it does seem to sound more palatable to me the second or third listen in a row. On the one hand, maybe my amps are warming up; on the other hand, maybe my brain is filtering out the extraneous vibes. Maybe it's a combination of the two.

Moreover, I am quietly developing a theory that there is something endemic to " ... the hall—the Musikverein Groβer Saal ..." that doesn't jibe with my listening room. Some kind of clash between the natural harmonics of the concert hall, the way the mics were placed, that sort of thing -- and my particular listening room. That concert hall has a decay rate of about three seconds, from my memory of making a mental note last time I listened a couple of nights ago.

It did give me occasion to experiment further with my McIntosh MEN220 Room Correction System. I took it out of global, into the various focus positions, played with the voicing and loudness contours, disengaged it altogether. It changed the presentation six ways to Sunday -- but nothing I tried fixed the problem.

Meanwhile, I have ordered some Sound Anchor speaker stands, and have drawn a target around this Beethoven/Klieber SHM-SACD. I shall pull back the string on my bow and release another arrow at it when some of the resonance of my room has been conquered. Granted, we're talking nuance here. But I'm feeling what I believe to be exacerbated discordant vibrations now. This one is going into the "too hard" in-basket until the Sound Anchors arrive. Maybe they'll save the day. I needed them anyway.

23. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

No, tell me what you really think :D

Wow, no hedging there! I'm happy with the orig vinyl and the digipak, so I will seriously have to consider your comments. Thanks.

24. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Just don't want to see you bilked of $60 on an awful disc.

25. MisterBritt

BTW, in researching the matter, I came across this photo of the Musikverein Groβer Saal.
    http://www.constellationcenter.org/images1/intro/musikverein.jpg
    Does it look like it might have some ambiance? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.