The best SHM-SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Keith, the Rollins is absolutely breathtaking. You will be pleased.

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

This is a tough one...I have been hunting for the DCC of the Rollins but I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about the SHM-SACD...are they from the same source?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Only the DCC is from the "Do not use for master" original. It took a month just to unearth the various parts. Everything else out there would be duped from the LP cutting master, two gens. down.

Get with the program, guys. Stop buying blind, especially at these prices. Don't want to spoil your fun but geez, a little treble boost and some of you wax rhapsodic... I try and hold my tongue but the cost of these things is insane, yikes. STICKY FINGERS maybe a good value to you, but these Jazz titles, doubtful all are worth it.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It sounds really good Steve but I will get the DCC soon and have a shootout.

5. korowa

korowa Active Member

6. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I haven't bitten for any of the jazz titles yet at this price even in Japan and with so many DCC's/MFSL's already in hand for many of them, but I do have Waltz for Debby on pre-order.

7. Steve Hoffman

Waltz For Debby Boone. That's another one. There are like three reels all marked master. None of them are the real deal. Who know what the file clerk entered on the computer for that title at Iron Mountain going in and who knows what the 20 year old warehouse attendant pulled going out for duping?

If it's from Fantasy and it's jazz and mastered in the past five years and costs over 10 bucks, IMO save the money. Over and out.

8. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Fair point, well made!

The only reason I picked Waltz from Fantasy was that it will (I believe) be based on this Paul Stubblebine transfer as mentioned in this thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=249217&highlight=bill+evans+waltz+for+debby

Still a fair bit of dosh I guess if it is really such a crapshoot with Fantasy.

9. Steve Hoffman

Paul knows what he's doing, he's capable of flinging something back that doesn't look or sound right..

10. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I will keep the preorder in I think.
    The XRCD wasn't right for this title I remember you saying, so maybe we'll get lucky this time.

11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I'm the one that have tried talking LeeS into these jazz SHM-SACDs. :D

Wen I am listening to titles as "Art Pepper meets...", "Way Out West", "Explorations", Jimmy Smith "The Cat", Coltrane "Ballads", I have really the feeling of listening into the source. And all of these titles I mentioned are from Japan tapes, like the title LeeS mentioned.

Textures, truth of timbre, dynamics, instruments are fleshed out, stunning ambience, the sound is clean and clear. This is heard in an absolute context, when comparing how instruments in Direct To Disc records from Us and Noway sounds, how instruments in Living Stereo records sound, how these minimalistic Proprius records sound...and how instruments IRL sounds.

When it's sounds so right, how could it then be wrong?

The cost is a bit heavy. But if it this it had to cost for this program going on with these numers of titles being released + SHM + High quality paper/cover, then I take it.
    I read on this forum that people here actualy wants the paper quality in the booklet of those old DCC discs in todays audiophile CD/SACDs. Why not give people what they wants? Cost to much?

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, please don't hold your tongue on this matter. This is excellent info. Along those lines, any thoughts on the tapes that might have been used for the Sonny Rollins Way Out West SHM-SACD? Might they have used the right ones there?

13. KeithH

I also like the My Favorite Things SHM-SACD, but I haven't compared it to my old U.S. CD yet.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have no idea how these jazz titles sound, but I would mention that all of them are either from "Japan analogue tapes" or are previous DSD masterings. I do not see any jazz titles that feature 2010/2011 DSD masterings from overseas (US/UK) tapes. So far, these have only shown up with a few pop titles (Sticky Fingers being one of them).

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I think these SHM SACD's are overpriced based on what I've heard and given that there are very good alternatives for many of the titles.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

:agree:

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

And $ is weak against ¥ these days.

18. KeithH

Agreed. I have been buying them selectively. The best price I've found is $57 shipped via the Amazon Marketplace.

And you don't get a CD layer.

19. Steve Hoffman

When they write: "Japan Analogue Tapes", what that means is they are analog dupes from another (unknown) source. Could be they are master dupes, could be they are dubs of dubs of dubs. Who knows, really? Point is, unless you are an avid collector with and endless supply of money and need to buy everything out there, skip over the titles that were issued from stuff we KNOW is hit or miss, even in the US versions.

I don't want to spoil anyone's collecting fun and if you are enjoying the music on your SHM-SACD's, good. I've even used dubs of dubs as well for a few things in my vast remasterings and I made them sound good. But if there is a 6 dollar OJC or JVC or MoFi Silver CD or 10 dollar OJC LP out there that we know was mastered from the original tapes, why not enjoy those and save up for something really special in the SHM SACD line?

Regarding Sonny Rollins, I have NO idea what they could have used. The problem with being all the way in Japan is that they license something and hopefully get a good source. Guess the only way to know is to actually spend the money. But, like I said, if it's from the old Fantasy catalog and mastered in the past five years (after the IRON MOUNTAIN vaulting), I would pass..

What seems weird to me is that you guys don't own the AP (Analogue Productions) 45 RPM versions of these Fantasy/Prestige/Riverside/Contemporary albums that Kevin and I did. They cost $50.00 each and were cut live from the true stereo or mono master mixes. That's not good enough for ya?

That being said, the Japanese distributor sent me about 15 of these things and some I like and some I can't stand the sound of. As you know I'm not fond of the traditional JPN style of mastering (detail at the expense of midband) but I must take credit for suggesting to these guys that they start getting a valid source before they pay their advance, heh. I also suggested that ask for a Xerox of the tape box that is being duped for them. Seems to have worked.

Remember, a dupe is only as good as the transfer. Was the correct source tape pulled? Was it the original mix or a dupe or safety or the old LP cutting dupe? What tape machine was the source tape played back on? Was the machine aligned correctly? What was the second machine used for the dupe? What type of tape? Was noise reduction used in making the dupe or was it a true 1:1? Was the signal routed through a recording or mastering console or was one machine plugged into the other? What speed was the dupe made, etc.? These things can make or break a duplicate..

Kkfan likes this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Do you personally own any SHM-SACDs?

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I agree that one should be careful not buying all releases in this Japan SACD series. Read reviews based on people you trust and be selective.

But it's how it in the end of the line it sounds, that counts; the sound out of my speakers in my living room. If a copy tape transfered to DSD and released as a SHM-SACD sounds more real and "you are there" or "they are here playing in my living room", than a CD transfer from 1992 shoot from the original tape, then I choose the first option.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

totally agreed!

I don't understand why Uni Japan choses dubs from "unknown" sources or like "Sticky Fingers"... the used the original tape and made a 1:1 dub on a vintage playback at FX Copyroom in London. That's weird.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

you can't have it both ways...you either want the sound of the original or you want some unknown Japanese Mastering dude playing with the EQ, adding compression etc. I vote for the former.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think you make a very good point Steve. However, I have almost a dozen of these SHM-SACDs and I think there is value for three reasons:

1. The sound quality is or among the best digital copies I have for many of these titles. I'm only buying the ones I hear are good from very reliable sources here on the board or elsewhere in the audio community.

2. I think these will quickly become collector's items. These are very limited in run and the quality packaging and I believe a fairly good attempt to create definitive editions. I suspect these will go up in value dramatically as we are seeing on some of the first releases.

3. More pop and rock SACD releases. I just want to support more rock releases on SACD if points #1 and #2 are valid, this really nice attempt to get some big name titles like Love Over Gold, Pentangle, etc. on SACD.

As for Saxophone Colossus, I would like the DCC but it seems to hard to get and then sells for the same as the SHM-SACD.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The problem here is that you are judging from others' experience with no first hand experience. Find the most acclaimed title, buy it and try it. Also, from my reading here many are as excited about the sound quality as Espen and I are. Clearly at $60 a pop, I am trying to cherry pick the best titles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.