The best SHM-SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteham

peteham Senior Member

My Who's Next arrived today. First impressions, at the risk of sounding hyperbolic, are, this is the absolute best of this, I've heard on disc. I have the Hoffman, the remix, and the deluxe edition. Hopefully, I'm done.

2. I received Traffic, "John Barleycorn Must Die" Saturday and determined by about 2 minutes in this ranks at the top, much like my impression popping in "Who's Next" and smiling broadly at first listen.

3. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I have a few of these SHM-SACDs and I don't think any include a lyric book or insert... I'm sure I moaned about this in an earlier thread on the packaging !!

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Oh well, they usually botched the lyrics when they included them anyway. So far, due to the big $$$'s on these SHM-SACD's, I only have "Who's Next", but I agree that the packaging really sucks! There is no booklet, the CD is hard to get out of the hard cardboard cover and there is barely any artwork on the disc itself, without getting a magnifying glass out. But and it's a damn big BUT, the sound is pretty remarkable, so all else is "almost" forgiven. It's really no contest to any past reissues of this title, this is THE one to own!

Chris C

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Interesting.

Do you have the Island A2-90058 WEA USA or equivalent mastering?

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I also have the SH mastering, Deluxe, Mofi (remix), MCA Ultimate. The SHM-SACD is the best pressing. Period!

7. Claus

My top 3

The Who
    10cc
    Traffic

8. "top" as per this thread.

9. Claus

I add Elton John's GYBR to my list... very good sound and even better as the Mofi IMO.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I just have a hard time with the price tag and is it really going to be that much better then what the best is already out.

11. Newport

Newport New Member

Shokhead,

I feel GYBR is one of the better SHM-SACD's, but not in same league as Who's Next or Wheels of Fire. It is no revelation over the MOFI in fact I feel it may fall a tiny bit short overall. If you like a nicer, smoother and overall better low end then stick with the MFSL if you have it. If you do not own it then it is a worthwhile pickup over the current remaster.But for me, once again, an "ancient" MFSL equals or exceeds new tech to my ears.

12. Claus

Agreed.... Cream and The Who are outstanding.

13. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I only own the Caravan and I find that it`s an improvement from the CD version: love it!

14. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Top Three:

10CC -- Original Soundtrack
    R. Strauss -- Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Dire Straits -- self titled

Runner up, which I need to spend more time with: Stravinsky -- Le Sacre du Printemps. Another favorite is Bruckner -- Symphony #4. And Eric Clapton -- 461 Ocean Boulevard. And ....

15. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Has anyone yet received Fairport Convention's 'Liege & Lief'?

I would be very interested in the Fairport Convention 'Liege & Lief' SHM-SACD?
    So far, I have only bought 'Who's Next' and I agree with the consensus that it sounds very good indeed.

Because of the price of these issues, I would like to hear what people think of the Fairport SACD before I 'murder' my overused Credit Card [again]!

16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have it. But will not be able to listen to it before wedensday, because it is not at the same adress that I am at now. :)

17. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

Is this your order of preference? Or is it simply a list of your inventory?

18. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I will be looking forward to your 'report' on how it sounds!

19. Chris C

Might I ask those of you that are praising the SHM-SACD of 10cc's, "The Original Soundtrack", have any of you compared the sound of the new SHM-SACD to the Japanese CD pressing on MERCURY, #33PD-351, before I spend another $50+ dollars on another version of it? (NOTE: This is the CD version that has both "The Original Soundtrack" and "Deceptive Bends", minus the song, "Feel The Benefit")

I ask because I love this album and I've already been through the original MERCURY LP's, the MERCURY Made In West Germany CD, The MOFI Gold Disc and The unofficially released Steve Hoffman DCC Gold Disc and I feel that the Japanese MERCURY #33PD-351, has THE best sonics for this release.

Chris C

20. Newport

Newport New Member

Hi Chris,

Did not know there was a DCC. Will use search and read up.

I do have the 33PD and the Mercury. While I think the SHM-SACD disc is good [not in league of Who's Next though], it is not best to me due to lack of mid-range and bass definition/focus. I can hear more deeply into the music on the Mercury and 33PD CD's :) :wave: I do not know how master tapes on this album sound and I care not as the only thing important to me is how I think the discs I own sound. So SHM-SACD places third on my list.

In the end it is your money and my recommendation is to take all SHM-SACD opinions, including my own, with a grain of salt.

21. Chris C

I appreciate your opinion Newport!

Chris C

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Who's Next is the Platinum standard for sound quality. Wheels Of Fire is also amazing but falls a small notch lower - why don't we say the Gold standard.

All the others I own are dwarfed by Who's Next and Wheel's. If every SHM-SACD sounded as good as those 2 then I'd agree with Mr. Espen but I do not. Not sure why all the love for Dire Straits s/t to me it sounds loud [Dynamically Compressed] and shrill in spots. Guess every one has different tastes.

Have not blind compared Wheel's with the DCC yet but I've a feeling the sound will be very different. It will remain my CD reference especially since I think CD gear will still be available long after SACD equipment stops production. Meaning I think CD's players will be around much longer. Although I hope I am wrong.

JeffR714 likes this.
  23. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I feel the same as you regarding the Dire Straits SHM-SACD. I'm not sure it is compressed, but I feel the sound is bright and not as "natural" sounding as the original Veritgo CD (or the new Warner's vinyl re-issue).

24. evad

evad Well-Known Member

You and I have similar listening tastes.

The Who is amazing. I have not heard the Wheels of Fire. Argus sounds excellent.

Dire Straits and 10cc are painful after extended listening. Too much top end!!

All the disclaimers apply including "in my opinion".

I am glad that some enjoy most/all of them but to me only a few are indeed worth the bucks.

25. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Has anyone heard Gentle Giant's Octopus yet? I didn't see any comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.