The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper - Why was Harrison only allowed One song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All:wave:

Something I was wondering while listen to Sgt. Pepper yesterday, why did George Harrison only get one song when Paul had seven, John also only had four, was it how long it took to record 'Within You Without You', so there was no more time to finish 'Only A Northern Song' - has answers ever been given ?

2. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

Did George Martin not say 'Only A Northern Song' did not get on Pepper because it was considered not up to scratch?

Chris

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was an evil plot!

No, not really. He offered up nothing as good as Here Comes the Sun. Not Guilty was pure rubbish imo. And hell they gave him the Inner Light b-side which was worth a lot of coin. He was very glad to get single b-sides which meant that if The Beatles had a number one song with his tune on the flip, b-side, he got to ride the gravy ($$$$$) train with them.

He knew when to keep his trap shut alright!

4. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Would have been a better album with one more George Song IMO. A little less cute. :)

5. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Pretty good amount of real estate though. And MAN what a song!

6. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

George Harrison had only offered the group two new songs during the making of the Sgt. Pepper album. They were "Only A Northern Song" and "Within You Without You."

Producer George Martin has decided to exclude "Only A Northern Song" from the album because it was inappropriate to the album's concept or vibe as the song is about Harrison's personal denunciation of the Beatles' music publishing business.
    He has no other choice but to include only one Harrison song which is "Within You Without You".

7. Maidenpriest

:rolleyes: You talk as if Harrison was not part of the Beatles!!

8. Maidenpriest

Thanks for that, but the words to 'Northern Song' would fit the Sgt. Pepper concept IMO, ie 'The Band are not quite right etc' maybe it was too negative!!

9. AudiophilePhil

You are right. It was too negative.

10. Maidenpriest

Didn't George write the songs 'Isn't It A Pity' and 'Art Of Dying' in 1966, i wonder if those songs were offered to Sir George, and whether they were rejected ?

11. AudiophilePhil

Wrong! He wrote those songs during the Beatles' (white album) session in 1968.

12. citadel

citadel New Member

He had the longest song in the album, though. And masterfully scored by George Martin too.
    She's Leaving Home, Within You Withou you and A Day In The Life form the trio of big epic tunes in Sgt Pepper.
    It's a pity they didn't record "It's All Too Much" until quite later. That would have fit nicely in Pepper!

WestAussie85 likes this.
  13. citadel

citadel New Member

I'm afraid that maidenpriest is right.

14. AudiophilePhil

It would have been four big epic tunes with the inclusion of "Strawberry Fields Forever" which times at a little under 5 minutes.

15. AudiophilePhil

Where did you get your info?

16. Maidenpriest

And thank God 'Strawberry Fields Forever' & 'Penny Lane' were not included, that single is far too good for Pepper IMO!

17. Maidenpriest

I am sure I read it in 'I Me Mine' years ago!

18. citadel

citadel New Member

I think that George himself explained when and how wrote those songs in his book "I Me Mine".
    I remember too that George played Isn't It A Pity during the Let It Be sessions and explained to John that he had written it three years earlier. John dismissively replied that he didn't remember the song.

19. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

Only A Northern Song is a horrible song, I'm glad they left it off the album.

20. AudiophilePhil

If George Harrison already completed "Isn't It A Pity" and "the Art of Dying" in 1967, why he did not present them to the band?
    My theory is that he had the ideas about writing those songs but he did not have enough time to complete them during the Pepper sessions.
    How can he compete with the songwriting of Lennon-McCartney in 1967?
    George Harrison was a team person. He did not think about his ego. He wanted the Beatles to have another great album.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Here's a writeup I found about "Only A Northern Song" in The Beatle's Bible:

http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/only-a-northern-song/

22. AudiophilePhil

I disagree!
    "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were originally written and were intended to be included for the Pepper album.

I understand that you are not used to hearing them with the other Pepper songs.

What if they were included in the final Pepper album, I am sure you would think otherwise.

23. Maidenpriest

He managed it in 1966!

24. AudiophilePhil

As I've said, if he had completed those songs before or during the Pepper sessions, he would have had the confidence to present them to the group.
    You even wrote that John Lennon cannot remember those songs in 1966 or 67.

25. AudiophilePhil

Nice talking with you guys. It's time for me to sleep. It's already 3:29 am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.