The Beatles Remasters: Each album which is best the Mono or Stereo version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrakian

arrakian Forum Resident

Just ordered my Beatles collection today (Mono Box, a few stereo albums). I can't wait to see what all the hoop-lah is about; I've only ever known the '88 Cd versions.

2. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Definitely mono for the first two albums and RS. All the other albums have some tracks which sound better in mono and some which sound better in stereo. And the albums for which I am still undecided (this includes all except for PPM, WTB and RS) have some tracks which sound different in mono than in stereo that I definitely had to have both. And like many Americans, the 2009 mono box is the first time I got to hear unique mono mixes of most of the White Album, plus "Get Back" and "Don't Let Me Down". The unique mono mixes of "Only A Northern Song", "All Together Now", "Hey Bulldog", "It's All Too Much" and "Across The Universe" are heard in these CD remasters legitimately for the first time ever--anywhere.

3. markdavid

markdavid New Member

Hi , am new to the forum .
    I have just recently heard the Mono Sgt Peppers album , having heard how much better it sounds in mono, im miffed that the mono CD's are not available separately. The only song I prefer in stereo is Lovely rita which I prefer in stereo as the bass sounds more powerfull (which is not something I can say about the other songs in stereo). The stereo cd still sounds good but the panning makes some of the songs sound a bit diluted and almost echoey sounding.

4. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Having heard the stereo version my whole life till now I am still having trouble with the mono, the Beatles were always about grandeur to me, the mono of White makes it a lo-fi hot mess of a rock record. Digging it though.

The more I hear of Revolver in Mono I am slowing starting to lean towards it.

The only ones so far that I could go all one way or the other are For Sale in Stereo and Rubber Soul in Mono.

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Most stereo for my preference...

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best MONO/Stereo version.

Not much love for the MONO White, why ?

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Good question. I compared the two mixes last week and it wasn't even close. The mono mix is much better IMO.

8. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I still think people feel more comfortable with the HS reprise and feel cheated with it missing. I think there are more variances on this set than any other between Mono and Stereo and people are more comfortable with what they know. Me, I'm still digging on the Mono WA.

9. alexpop

The MOno's got so much going for it
    even without blisters :confused:

10. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

You don't have to convince me, but like I said, people tend to be more comfortable with what they know and this is one of those albums that's really well-known. I see the same resistance for MMT and in particular "Blue Jay Way". I've had the EP box for over 15 years, but can recall playing it for a friend and when he realized the backwards effects weren't on the Mono, his disappointment was apparent.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

12. alexpop

You can't compare the MONO 6tracker MMt
    to the majestic sprawling great white imo.

I thought there would be a few more members here
    who found the w double to have more playback balls
    than the ping-pong stereo version, appartently it's not the case,sigh.

13. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I was comparing how people can be thrown off by hearing an alternative version of something with which they're very familiar, not a double album to a double EP.

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Its probably a matter of youre use to. I guess for me the White album was in a way The Beatles getting back to simplicity, the basics. Much of it was each member off on their own. So to me it is opposite of Sgt Peppers MMT and certainly AR. I mean a good portion was written in India while the Beatles were introspective. So its a pretty individualistic and isolated album in many places. to me mono works to support this. maybe it sufficates the music for some and is too much. i can understand that.

I wouldnt call it lofi in mono because many tracks are simply stronger mixes in mono.

Having said all that I like me white vinyl UK stereo version also :)

seems the poll reflects mono for the beatles albums for the most part.

15. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

Stereo across the board.

16. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

May be a statistically flawed poll in that more the mono box is owned by a lot less people than the stereo versions.

17. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

General population, I'd concur. But, on this board I'd have to believe there's a good many who own the Mono or both.

18. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Explanatory Note:
    My vote for Help stereo is strictly 1965 stereo.
    The only disc I felt a bit underwhelmed by was the stereo A Hard Day's Night and would add although I voted for mono (UK) Rubber Soul I am very grateful for the inclusion of the 1965 stereo with it.

19. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Agree - a good many. But more will have stereo, less will have mono.

20. alexpop

Fair enough, but me no wanna bite an alternative option !
    Mono only for us then. :wave::D

21. WickedUncleWndr

WickedUncleWndr New Member

Rubber Soul in mono is the holy grail of the Beatles. George Martin was correct in remixing the stereo version in 1986. The '65 remix diffuses everything, vocals and instruments. It's presented in wide stereo, and it separates the power of the intended mix. Even though "If I Needed Someone" sounds dry, it has more heft than the stereo version.

22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that some of it is a lot stronger in Mono, the Lennon rockers especially. Its just a different experience to me. I will say as a Mono mix it holds together more as a record where the stereo has a all over the place kind of feel. Like someone said before it will likely become my go to version due to how different it sounds to what I am accustomed to.

I think like Peppers you really need both.

23. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Please Please Me: stereo
    With The Beatles: mono
    A Hard Day's Night: mono
    Beatles For Sale: stereo
    Help!: stereo
    Rubber Soul: mono
    Revolver: mono
    Sgt. Pepper: see below
    Magical Mystery Tour: stereo
    White Album: stereo

I voted for mono on Sgt. Pepper, but it was a tough choice. The only aspect about the mono mix that I definitely prefer is the speed of She's Leaving Home. The quicker version is hands-down better, IMHO. (Oh, I suppose I like the laughing at the end of the mono WYWY better too). But otherwise, the mono mix (like the stereo) fails to completely satisfy. The stereo is a weak mix, but I feel like this album really needs to be in stereo.

24. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

All Mono except BFS, MMT, and White Album. The White Album stereo has an extremely slight edge than the mono version.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I really like the Magical Mystery Tour mono. I'm glad that got some votes. I like the 65 stereo mix of Help and Revolver in mono was a lot better than I thought. Beatles For Sale in stereo is just wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.