The Beatles Remasters: Each album which is best the Mono or Stereo version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey New Member

Then you're bound to miss out on some of the most amazing recordings from the 30s through the 70s.

2. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

I've never heard most of the stuff in mono (apart from whatever was in mono on the 1987 CDs and the 1993 Red/Blue compilations). A lot of it is a revelation and I can definitely see why people prefer it. Songs like Paperback Writer, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, She's Leaving Home... In My Life, definitely much better in mono. I'm sure I'll find many more before I'm done.

By the way, does anyone here feel there are any album variants (whether in stereo or mono) that they could do without? I try to keep my collection as neat and clean as possible, and it doesn't sit that well with me, thinking that I might need the mono and stereo of every disc (not to mention the 1987 remixes for Help! and Rubber Soul).

3. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Nah, it's just that I have a choice with the Beatles. Hindemith Conducts Hindemith doesn't offer a choice, nor does Robert Johnson, so I deal with it knowing there is no stereo alternative.

I'll eventually make my way through the mono Beatles. But so far when I bring them all up in my Squeezebox I find myself preferring the stereo for almost everything.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm also thinking the age of the listener may be a factor in what people prefer.

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

At this time, the mono mixes of all albums from PPM through SPLHCB with the lone exeption of BFS are in the lead. (Previously, the stereo mixes of Help! and Revolver were in the lead.)

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I'm going to have to take another listen to "Magical Mystery Tour," because folks are going for the stereo version and not the mono.

7. Grant

The Past Masters is interesting. People seem to like the older mono stuff, but prefer the stereo from 1966 onward. I'm really the opposite. I like the stereo volume one, and the mono part two.

This seems to bear out with the preference for the stereo MMT in the poll. I strongly prefer the mono MMT because I thing the mono mixes are much better.

8. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Please Please Me (mono)
    With the Beatles (mono)
    Hard Day's Night (stereo)
    Beatles for Sale (mono)
    Help (original '65 stereo only, with mono coming a close 2nd)
    Rubber Soul (mono and original '65 stereo tie)
    Revolver (mono --although new remaster comes close)
    Sgt. Pepper (mono)
    Magical Mystery Tour (stereo)
    The Beatles (stereo)
    Past Masters 1 (mono)
    Past Masters 2 (stereo)

That's my first impressions. My 1st impression is that the mono box beats out the stereo remasters.

9. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

BIG thanks!

Thanks too this forums early reviews, way too go guys, I got "BFS" & "PM" 09-09-09.
    Looks like those two titles (along w/"MMT" & "TB") are still holding up as the best of the single (stereo) rekeases.

10. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Considering MMT as a whole, the mono definitely wins out because most of those singles on side 2 weren't even mixed for stereo until after the breakup... nothing to do with the Beatles at all. If we were considering the MMT UK EP only, then we might have a draw (though I'd probably still give the edge to mono).

11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

I'm glad folks are thinking this poll is insightful and helpful. I was hoping it would be.

12. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

I'm just a casual Beatles listener. I listened to Sgt. Pepper (original stereo CD) a couple years back and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it was hailed as such a great album. Good, sure, but in league with Pet Sounds or DSOTM? Not even close. Recently I had the opportunity to hear the new Mono remaster and understood what everyone was talking about. The production seemed fuller and smoother. The Beatles sounded more like polished musicians than just a very good garage band. More and more I'm starting see how much difference the mix makes. On the flip side, I prefer the White album in stereo.

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

yes this is extremely helpful, one of the most informative and useful polls I've seen here. Thanks Dr P :righton:

14. zenarus

zenarus Forum Resident

I'm still thrilled with the whole deal.
    The first 3 - Mono
    From Beatles For Sale on up- Stereo
    Past masters One- Mono
    Past Masters Two - Stereo
    I grew-up with all Mono until The White Album.
    That might make a difference..

15. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

The mono is certainly more listenable than the stereo. I've usually thought it had a great opening 3 songs, and a nice closing, but was usually bored in-between with a couple of exceptions. This must have been the first time I've ever enjoyed the entire album without wanting to skip a track or 2.

Absolutely.

16. dlm1129

dlm1129 Forum Resident

I ripped both box sets and did a song-by-song analysis last night (it was much easier than juggling the CDs in and out of players as I had originally been trying to do), and wound up with hybrid versions of each album. In other words, I found songs on every album that were better in mono and others that were better in stereo. It actually wound up being a fairly even split throughout with no album having less than 3 mono or 3 stereo preferences. (Well obviously until Abbey Road and Let It Be which were weighted quite strongly toward stereo!)

I'll post the breakdown later when I get a chance.

17. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I would be interested to see this, and that had to be one looong night... :)

18. JPwalker

JPwalker Forum Resident

seconded.

I was planning on doing this myself. I would love to see your selections.

19. Grant

After all the complaining we heard about the first four being in mono, the mono mixes for the first three sure seem to be winning out. One could draw the conclusion that the majority of people really don't like that hard-panning.

20. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

Just giving this a bump. Will vote myself eventually, when the time is right...

21. jawilshere

jawilshere Forum Resident

22. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

've voted now:)

23. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Ok I'll bite...

Why is "Beatles For Sale" the only pre-Magical Mystery Tour record where stereo beats the mono?

24. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

because it sounds so good, but the mono is also very good imho.;)

25. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

i did mono for all except white album.

i've seen a couple of people mention stereo effects on pepper that make them like that more....am i missing something after all these years??? i can't remember any panning from left to right, only just the regualr panning of groups of instruments like all the albums before it

the song magical mystery tour has the bus panning from left to right which is neat, but that mono version packs such a punch that i don't miss it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.