The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour German Hörzu - You were right!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by axeugene, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

So the 1977 German Apple 072 has more bass than the 1971 German Horzu but both sound good?

2. telliott

telliott Senior Member

How many countries issued the album in 1967 besides the US, and probably Canada?

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

No - there is just one later cutting, the one with the narrower dead waxes. That's the 'bass heavy' one. I'm not a big fan of it - its mastered with EQ added to the low end is all. Many German pressings are similarly EQ'd.

John Bliss likes this.
  4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The German Apple Revolver comes to mind here.

5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

A great sounding LP with terrible artwork!

6. Captain Kundalini

Captain Kundalini Forum Resident

today I got myself a copy of German Apple 072 in near mint condition with both matrix # in the deadwax ... sounds much better than the new Remastered vinyl I got just yesterday

7. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

It's always interesting on places like this to read, how people praise the albums with the "Hörzu" label. And as others here already wrote, there is no audible difference to the "regular" german pressings. "Hörzu" is not a "trademark of quality", it's just a radio/tv magazine, that used to promote certain famous albums for a limited time on their magazine. The record companies were interested in this promotion, cause "Hörzu" once had a very high number of readers. And in return the albums were signed with the "Hörzu" logo.

Man at C&A, nail75 and Yosi like this.
  8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Does the Horzu have the remixed SFF and Rich Man?

9. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Good find. One of my all time favorite albums.

10. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

You know the sound is always subjectable around a place like this, which is a good thing. You don't have always agree with the sound of a pressing if you feel that it isn't that great or good and that's also why this is a cool place to be at here.:cheers:

However I too like the Horzu as well as the German Apple pressing. I guess the best way for me to explain it is that it's like it puts a smile on my face Chershire CAT style when I listen to it.

Now that's fun and it might be cool to the collector to want to seek out a copy of it to check it out as well as the fun of owning one. :nauga:

John Bliss likes this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Can the same be said for all Beatles Horzu German pressings? I have my eye on a copy of Revolver and wondering if its worth it or hold out for the mono vinyl releases next year?

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Three years later - the 2 box Parlophone that I was referreing to in the above post was a Swedish pressing that used German parts.

13. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I once bought a copy of Revolver on a blue Horzu label and didn't think it sounded good. I think it was stereo.

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks for that, you saved me $50, I'll stick with my mono box when I want my fix. Our local record shop always has used Beatles, most are canadian pressings, 2 nd press, some Australian presses as well. Maybe one day I'll try one.

15. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Yes, I used to have a Who Hörzu album that was terrible: fake stereo & all sorts of problems.
    German Beatles is a minefield, as lots of us have written here over the years. You have to research your matrices or you can end up with some diabolical pressings which are packaged the same as great ones & have the same catalogue numbers/label designs. Then to add to it there's like two Peppers I had that even had the same matrix numbers but with an extra tiny bit etched on one, that one sounds great but its disastrous "twin" is definitely a different pressing/mastering.

16. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

IMO:UK and German Beatles pressings from the 70's usually worth about $25. They were made by millions and imported into US and Canada in huge quantities. THEY NOT RARE!!! Whoever trying to charge you more is ripping you off.

Just my opinion.

17. JeffR714

JeffR714 Well-Known Member

The HorZu German MMT was a must for my collection I already had the DESS HorZu but there's nothing like the real thing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I would not agree, usually the german EMI pressings are very reliable in terms of printing quality. The ones I bought from other countries - except from Japan of course - can't really compete. I also have some british pressings including an original mono Revolver, it sounds so poor...

BTW, here is a link for collectors who want have Beatles albums only sold in Germany, the most popular is/was "Worlds best", that was exclusivly distributed by some "Buchclubs" (Book-selling clubs), that were popular in the 60s. If you wanted to buy from a "club", you had to be a member and buy books and records for a certain amount of money per year. Otherwise you were excluded again. The attraction of those clubs was the cheaper price compared to the regular shops. Many famous bands had those "Buchclub releases"

http://www.beatlesvinyl.com/germany/gclub.html

john lennonist likes this.
  19. 926am

926am Senior Member

DESS?? (Doc Ebbett??)

20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That's where they first appeared!

21. BlueSpeedway

I'm a big, big fan of good German vinyl, Beatles & others, but for me in England it's quite cheap to write off & dump the bad ones I've had, but for the many US & non-European people here it's only fair to say it's a bit of a minefield as they're risking much high amounts of money on eBay etc for European records. There's an Odeon Revolver which is completely awful, several of us with different systems agreed on it here, and my NM German Abbey Road is also poor sound even though it's from the same era as the popular Hörzu MMT & the big, clear & bassy Revolver which although an acquired taste, is essential for a Revolver fan to hear. Plus the Pepper example I gave above also from that era; identical matrices but different sound.

22. BlueSpeedway

Just a warning to people in the UK there seems to be a new batch of fakes of these around, probably made by the same people who made the fake Die Beatles LPs which were all over London a few years ago. The fake MMT is green or black vinyl, the green obviously is a fake, the black harder to spot unless you check the matrix, as the cover's quite realistic, more so than the blurred fake Die Beatles sleeve.

Be especially careful in Camden Town. All the independent shops who dealt in real stuff have gone bust, leaving mainly bastard shops/market traders with fake Floyd/Beatles/Can/Joy Division/Bowie etc amongst their wares.

23. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Is the A-1 B-1, which I have, reputed to be any worse sounding than the A-1 B-3?

24. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

It's ok, got my answer, fake stereo, wrong version to have.

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I got this same pressing from Canada last year. It really is the business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.