THE BEATLES "Help!" movie to be released on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by john_frogg, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Kool news!

2. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Yes, now that would be sweet:D

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

As for what I said on "Let It Be", I know from a very good source that a finished remaster was shown to execs at Capitol last year, one of whom said it was excellent, and that it was "supposed to" come out at the end of 2007. This is what was said to me in late December. At that point, "Help!" was not finished, but it was "coming out too".

4. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Could someone clear up some confusion on the mono versions for me?

We had the 2 singles: "Ticket To Ride" (tagged as being from "Eight Arms To Hold You") & "Help!"

We had the mono & stereo albums: UK & US versions (sorry, not trying to diss the "ROW" - I'm just interested in these as they are my "universe")

We had the film with a mono soundtrack...music & dialog, etc.

What was used on the 45's vs the mono albums, etc.?

Thanks!

Dexter

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

"Help!" and "Another Girl" have unique mono mixes on the original film soundtrack.

This is the reason I'm hoping there's a mono option as well as the 5.1 on the new DVD.

6. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Was the unique mix of "Help!" used for the 45? ... in both the UK & the US?

Thanks!
    Dexter

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Was it the original 1970 theatrical cut of the film or did they create a new film from scratch out of all the footage?

8. Lord Hawthorne

It was an expanded version, he said.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

This will be a VERY WELCOME Edition to my DVD collection...I myself have NEVER seen the film (Let It Be),so I'll be getting this,for sure!! Michael Boyce

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

There's no way in hell they are releasing two DVDs for the holiday season.

11. Lord Hawthorne

Logical, but we're talking about Apple. Tomorrow never knows.

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I say, "Go for it"!:righton:

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes, but with Jeff Jones in charge now, we may well see a kind of floodgates opening, as far as Beatles product goes. I think he knows we were all dissatisfied with Neil Aspinall's snails pace of releases.

Evan

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I don't know why not. Now that high definition disks are getting more popular the Beatles need to get all their stuff out on low definition disks.

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm hoping that when/if they issue LIB on DVD, besides not cropping it (as I already mentioned in a previous post), I hope they include the original theatrical cut of the film. I would hope that new/outtake footage is either included seperately as bonus footge, or if they are "expanding" the original film with additional footage, they incorporate seamless branching so one can choose to watch either the original cut or the expanded cut on the same disc.

I fear that if they only provide a new, different, expanded cut, knowing how these things go, a few seconds or minutes of the original version will go missing somehow in the editing process.

I'm just worried that the LIB film is mired in so much wonky feelings and controversey that they will alter how the original film was to appease whoever is lukewarm about the film.

But at this point, I'd be happy to get something, anything out regarding LIB.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Going by past indications, I would agree with this. I would love for the new guy at Apple to open the floodgates as someone else put it. But even setting aside the strange nature of how Apple has worked in the past, it would be a bit odd to release the "Help" DVD at the end of October, and then do "Let It Be" less than two months later. Apple has in the past not done two "major" releases so close together, and other groups/companies usually don't emply that sort of marketing strategy either. They would be more likely to put both movies out on the same day. But I sure hope it does happen, and it certainly wouldn't be that strange.

17. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I sure hope we're going to see LIB this year, but if the info you heard about LIB is from last December, things could have changed since then. Something could have changed specifically regarding the LIB DVD, or perhaps they just chose to go ahead with "Help" ahead of LIB.

18. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

No. The regular mono mix was used for singles in USA and UK.

There are three versions of Help! - film mix, mono mix and stereo mix. Between them they use two different vocal tracks. Call them vocal A and vocal B!

The stereo mix uses vocal A throughout.

The film mix uses vocal B throughout.

The mono single mix uses vocal A for the intro then vocal B for the rest of the song.

This Beatles stuff is easy, isn't it?

19. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

20. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, that is indeed a pretty elaborate deluxe edition. For that price, I hope at least that the movie poster and lobby cards are full size. I would think it would be that as well as a hardcover book and full script reproduction that would lead to such an high price. I would imagine the box itself might be elaborate as well (I'm already trying to figure out if they are going to just fold the movie poster to get it into a box). The official website called it a "bespoke" box, and I had to look that up to figure out what that meant. I'm still not totally sure what that might mean, beyond that it means the box will be some of custom design.

Does anybody think a place like Best Buy will stock this in-store on release date? I'd like to get the deluxe set, but I'd like to get the DVD's on release date as well. I'm thinking Best Buy for instance will either not carry it, or carry very few copies in each store. I'd also have to wonder whether they would price it competitively with Amazon.

22. john_frogg

john_frogg I'm listening. Thread Starter

23. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

25. I wouldn't pay $ 25 for this movie. I saw it for the first time on the big screen and I felt it was the same thing as A hard day's night but in color.
    Just a lot of running around and no plot whatsoever.
    I guess I'll wait for Let it be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.