THE BEATLES "Help!" movie to be released on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by john_frogg, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Still, it's a significant step up from most other teen movies, don't you think?

2. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

3. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Merged the two threads that were covering the same topic.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Cool. I'd posted a previous newsbit here a couple of months ago, courtesy of Steve Marinucci's Abbeyrd. Looking forward to get LOTS of DVDs this Christmas!

6. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I will definitely purchase this when it is released. For some reason I never got around to buying the now OOP version of this movie.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks for the great news. One of my favorite films growing up....

8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

".....my blood group is veddy unusual........." :)

Dan

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Correct.

Still, this is a welcome release. At least we'll have something worthy for this year.

:edthumbs:

10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

My favourite line is this film is when the "swammy" goes after one of the lads and the woman tells him "you got the wrong one" and he says "they all look the same"
    Brilliant!
    This film was always on television in the early 70's but never appeared on TV again for years (?!)
    Can't wait to see it again as I just watched the 8 volumes of Anthology and was hugely entertained and moved.
    I'm glad I was 5 in 1964!

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I've still got the MPI DVD, which I'll be keeping, but this'll be fun, too. Glad to see it actually coming back in to print.

"...has no one looked on the wash basin?" :biglaugh:

12. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Why even make it two-disc? They could've fit those bonus features and the movie on the same disc. It just looks like they're making it look like we are getting more than we are. A commentary would've been nice.

Either way, Help! on DVD is a good thing. I'm guessing that we'll never get Let It Be.

13. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Will own. Wish we were talking about 'A Hard Day's Night', but I'll take a restored 'Help' with a new 5.1 mix. :)

14. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

WOOHOO!!:goodie:

The film that made me a Beatles fan at age 9. Can't wait!

15. kensc1nj

kensc1nj Forum Resident

16. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Now for my usual music-based-movie-on-DVD quandary: do I import the NTSC version with proper speed audio but slightly lower-grade visuals or do I buy the locally released PAL version with a sharper, better colour picture but also a 4% speed-up effect on the audio?

17. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Good news. My kids will really enjoy watching this! :)

18. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

19. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

It's a fiendish thingy!

20. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

Sweet! I had been kicking myself for not buying the old DVD release when it was still in print. I finally get to see the movie again! Woo-hoo!

21. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I can only hope and pray to GOD on high that they had the good sense to talk to Victor Spinetti..unlike the A Hard Day's Night DVD.

22. Dragun

Dragun Forum Resident

All things being the same, the PAL version won't be that much better than the NTSC version. Its not like the difference between NTSC and HD.

I haven't seen this film in 10 years, but I remember loving it despite its problems. I hope it includes a restored mono mix. What aspect ratio should Help! be presented in?

23. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Aha - you bring up a good point there: HD. Should I wait until this is released on a high definition format? And maybe there'll be a collector's edition in two years' time with a bonus ring and a tin of red paint... :)

24. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Ok - a couple of years ago LET IT BE had a release date, and pre-orders were being taken at Amazon. Then one day - it was gone. And here we sit waiting for Let It Be. I will believe it when I actually see it on a shelf somewhere - which given the distribution of the Ringo CD may be quite a while.

25. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Well, I just checked Amazon and nothing about it yet. I was going to add it to my wish list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.