The Beatles "Best Pressings" list

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fraser, Jun 27, 2003.

1. audio

audio New Member

Okay, if I am understanding correctly, the blue box is better than the original US lps? All this time I've been thrilled to have all the US lps in mint condition that I inherited from a 2nd cousin many years ago. Oh well. Forgive me if I'm retreading here but just for clarification, the best mono lps would be the black/yellow label originals or the black/silver label '70s pressings. The best stereo lps would be the originals, the MFSLs, or the blue box? How does the blue box compare with the MFSLs? Also, how do I know a Pro-Use Abbey Road when I see one??

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

so are the first three letters the stamper identifier or
    the first numbers the identifier or
    last number...seems like the last number is the pressing number...-1 1st, -2 second, etc... is that accurate???

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member

prix...I am no expert but, the general opinion is that the US Capitol pressings are fun to own for old times sake, but are pretty bad due to many circumstances.... The UK's are the only way to go for good sound except the original US UA AHDN....

Correct me if I am wrong guys...

4. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

That would be a very strong and emphatic YES! :D

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

YEX-456 is side one of something.

YEX-457 is side two of something.

YEX-458 is side one of something else, etc.

These are the "master numbers" of the LP. (YEX-458 contains all 7 songs on that side of the album).

So, YEX-486-6 means this is the 6th cutting made (and used) for this master number. The other side might look like this:

YEX-487-4, meaning that this side was only recut four times. Usually the sides don't match cuttings as it gets further on.

6. audio

audio New Member

And I assume correctly that the blue box is different mastering than the cds? Okay, so what about the blue box vs. the MFSL lps for stereo? Depends?

7. Steve Hoffman

Do a search. We've been going over this for the last year here!

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Steve,

Very helpful again...

I hope I am not sounding like a dummy, but can you clairify which numbers/letters denote the stamper info we should be looking for???

Is "master number" the same as the stamper identifier? Sorry, I think I am close to getting it....aren't I???

9. audio

audio New Member

I know Steve, but what can I say? A) it's slightly confusing to me. B) I'm lazy. I tried doing a search and it's just a hell of a lot faster to come out and ask.

10. rpd

rpd Senior Member

prix,

Many think the MFSL's are too bright....not close enough to the original intent...but Steve is right, much info availalbe on this on the board on this topic...

11. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Well I get it. Does this generally hold true for all record labels or just EMI?

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Ascot,

So can you tell me/us what to look for re the "stamper" Steve talks about???

13. Steve Hoffman

LOOK FOR THE DASH and then THE NUMBER.

Lowest number is earliest mastering.

NOW PEOPLE, IN GENERAL, THIS HOLDS TRUE FOR ALL LABELS. THE FIRST PRINTING IS FIRST, AND MARKED AS SUCH, ETC. BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER:

Most first cuttings of something stink!!!! IN THE CASE OF THE BEATLES, the first cutting is a vacuum tube cut, unless you are talking the last four albums. So the idea is to get the tube cuttings because they sound neat.

With another band and another label, the first cutting could sound good or bad. Go to HUMOREM's profile and read everything he has to say on the subject by clicking on "See all posts by this user"...

14. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Steve,

Were the vacuum cuttings exclusively -1 pressings? Or is there possibly a tube cut that has a -2?

15. Steve Hoffman

Beats me. Could be up to 6 for all I know. It depends on if the stampers were worn out early or not.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Just one example of this from my own collection:

With the Beatles Parlophone PCS 3045

Late 60's Y/B label pressing:
    YEX 110 (Side 1) -2 (2nd lacquer cut) 3 (3rd "mother" made from the -2 lacquer's "master" or "father") MP (36th stamper from this particular "mother")
    YEX 111 (Side 2) -2 (2nd lacquer cut) 2 (2nd mother) MP (36th stamper)

Early 80's "2 Box" B/S label pressing:
    YEX 110 (Side 1) -2 (2nd lacquer cut) 2 (2nd mother) GAP (136th stamper)
    YEX 111 (Side 2) -4 (4th lacquer cut) 2 (2nd mother) AT (39th stamper)

Now, you may have noticed that both side ones from each of these pressings originated from -2 (in this case) tube cut lacquers. The later pressing even comes from an earlier "mother" than my late 60's copy on side one. But the earlier copy's side one does sound better. Both sound fine and have "that sound" that makes these tube cuttings special. I don't remember all the nuances in what made the earlier pressed (Y/B label) copy side 1 sound better than the later (B/S label) copy, but I remember the 80's copy sounding a little duller and relatively less "open" in comparison on side 1. This is likely due to either the relatively higher stamper #, more years of use on the higher stamper from the early 80's copy's side one, or stamper #36 was just plain "better" than #136, or possibly some or all of these reasons! :) However, side 2 of my early 80's copy originated from a -4 lacquer. It sounds (to me) like a solid-state cutting and DOES NOT have "that sound". It's OK and I can enjoy listening to it, but it's not as "fleshed out" sounding as the tube cut side 2 from my late 60's copy, though it has its purpose. Again, I don't remember all the nuances off the top of my head to explain the differences between these two sides from each copy - I'd have to compare each of them again right after the other. I've done this before, but I'd have to listen again to be sure of everything. This all is besides the fact that I really need a German solid-state cutting STEREO copy of this album ;).

LitHum05 likes this.
  17. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Yes, different mastering. As for the MFSL LPs, I don't own any so I have no comparisons for you. But I will say that every album in my BC-13 box sounds better to me than any Beatles I have on CD (excluding some of the EP box). In some cases, ridiculously better.

Update: I'm going to correct myself here as it was very late when I wrote the above. The Abbey Road from this particular blue box sounds a bit too thin. I'm going to stick with the CD on this one until I can pick up an early UK pressing. Also, Help leaves a bit to be desired (more specifically, side 1)but at least it's the original mix. So I still prefer it over the CD. Other than that I'm very satisfied. Next on my list is a German MMT. I'm accepting donations. ;)

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

MMM,

Thanks...I am learning...so how can you tell that "MP" is the 36th stamper???

another example...I have what I thought was a very early mono y/b pressing of WTB, with the numbers XEX 447-5N. Can you tell me what I have using the same explanation that you used above???

19. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member

Actually, I think MP is the 46th stamper

From a past posting here's my understanding of how all this works with the Beatles Parlophone pressings:

For the 2-box EMI labels here's how to tell when they were pressed:

Late 70’s: "MADE IN GT BRITAIN"

Early 80’s: without the word "RENTING"

Late 80s: with the word "RENTING"

At the 6 o’clock position there's a matrix # with a -. -1 is first lacquer, -2 is second etc.

At 9 o’clock is the mother number 1,2,3 etc. and on the right is the stamper code which uses the letters G R A M O P H L T D as a code (Gramophone Ltd). G is 1 R is 2 etc. with D being 0.

G R A M A P H L T D
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

EXAMPLE: If you have a UK Beatle album that has
    YEX whatever # -1 the first lacquer
    1 at 9 o’clock first mother
    MHG at 3 o’clock stamper # 471 made from the mother

20. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member

So after writing this, I have some questions:

When a record is pressed, what is the difference between a lacquer and a mother? I guess I'm confused about the precessing process.

I guess we all want the first lacquer. But should we seek out the lowest number mother with the lowest stamper code?

Anybody know the significance of all this?

Chuck

21. Steve Hoffman

Very quickly. This is a lacquer. The music is cut on to it. By a process a copy is made from it in metal, that is called the MASTER. From that the MOTHER is made. From the MOTHER the STAMPER is made.

Attached Files:

GiantPanda9 likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Attached Files:

23. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Start out like I did, about a year and a half ago. I bought a Blue Box. Then after a lot of reading on this site I replaced a bunch of those Lp's with the other versions named in my original post. As far as the stereo versions go, I am pretty satisfied. I bought all of those LPs with out breaking my bank account. Mono is a more expensive proposition but by reading, and learning here, you can still build a nice collection with out killing your wallet.
    There are ton of Beatle experts on this site you can learn from! Search and Read!

24. Chuck

Chuck Senior Member

Thanks, pictures always help!

Chuck

25. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

As Steve says, the MFSL pressings are not so much inferior as 'different' to the UK stereo LPs, such as those you already own (which are also found in the blue box). The MFSL LPs are, generally, very good pressings IMO - even if the EQ was tampered with in places and they are not as 'accurate' as UK pressings.