The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royce

Royce Senior Member

:biglaugh:

It appears the SMiLE shop proprieters did double duty as magicians assistants in their spare time as their bottom halves stay in place while their top halves are moving!

2. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I don't even know my own name!

3. theniall

theniall Forum Resident

So the ball is rolling :)

4. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

I LOVED your site back in the day!! Thanks for your work. :edthumbs: :cheers:

Yeah, it is really, really cool! It just needs the door to open. :)

5. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

Life just gets better. Cancelled my amazon.com order. Found out I've got a $45 Best Buy reward zone certificate.

6. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

This has very possibly been done already, but I figured it might be nice to have a little conversation about it seeing as we're very close to Smile. What was the song/moment that turned you into a Beach Boys fan? I remember very clearly when my brother had bought the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey CD and the Good Vibrations box set, and we were in a cottage over Christmas with our father. My brother would play Smiley Smile REALLY loud in the morning while we were still asleep. Heroes and Villains, specifically the Boys and Girls section turned me in a few days, combined with With Me Tonight and Wonderful. Absolutely gorgeous. The next year we went on much the same trip and he had the Pet Sounds box with him. After that, I took on the love of the band and Brian Wilson and he went on to other things. It's worked out very well. :D

7. Leo K

Leo K Forum Resident

8. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Great pictures Todd. Hoping we'll get him talking about some of the other Smile tracks soon.

9. Leo K

Leo K Forum Resident

Yeah, I love these screenshots (from the video on Brian's site), which someone posted on the Smiley Smile board.

Great, inspiring stuff!

10. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Dig the pictures.

Just over two weeks to go. It's really happening.

-----------------------

This post in printed form was stolen by Todd Van Buskirk and reprinted without permission.

11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I was in the 5th grade (10) and at a friend of my brothers house. His room was trashed and there were a few 45s on the floor. I found The Beatles Do You Want To Know A Secret on a yellow VJ label and The Beach Boys Help Me Rhonda on the yellow/orange Capitol swirl label. They were pretty scratched up and I asked if I could have them. He told me sure he didn't want them. I knew The Beatles because I had about 6 of their albums. I played The Beach Boys and loved Help Me Rhonda but it was the B side that put me where I am today. Kiss Me Baby has turned into one of my all time favorites. I still make many homemade comps and I always use it and Hushabye to show off their vocal prowess. That's my story.

:cheers:

12. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

13. Leo K

Leo K Forum Resident

Ah ha! The title for my next novel. :shh:

14. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I was a casual fan until, for some reason, this particular Live Aid performance sparked my interest and appreciation of the band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCm_-zvj00

...I can't explain why, it's nice and all, but nothing all that special. I guess after seeing "An American Band" I wrote Brian off as a burnout...but seeing him here made me want to know and hear more. Plus, I love when Mike puts his hand on Brian's shoulder, it's a rare moment of sincere affection.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Why haven't I seen these before? :confused:

16. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

There are all kinds of things that help measure the passage of time. When you've been waiting as long as some of have for SMiLE, anything that can be helpful in moving that time long is a good thing.

All that leads to this...
    I went to the market today, one of the things on my list was milk, as a pulled a carton out of the cooler the first thing I noticed was the expiration date...11-1-11.
    That's right, there's every chance I could be sitting, listening to SMiLE, having a bowl of cereal with the milk I bought tonight!

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Hopefully when SMiLE shows up that particular carton of milk will be long gone. :D

18. Aegir

Aegir Forum Resident

That's the sell-by date. The expiration date is correlated to when you open the milk and expose it to the air, and there's no way for the manufacturer to tell when that is.

19. Wee Helper

Wee Helper New Member

I've missed that doorbell sound all these years!

:goodie:

The Smile Shop lives on!

20. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

My first BB record was the "Surfer Girl" 45, so I would have been about 13.

My first specific BB memory is riding out to the desert in Mr. Hiler's truck (Boy Scout camping trip); one of the guys had one of them there "transistor-radios", and when "I Get Around" came on we hooted and clapped and sang with it. Of course I already had the 45, but I still remember how much we loved that song. Interesting how some moments get hardwired into your memory.

21. KN65

KN65 Well-Known Member

The BBs were just another oldies act to me as I was growing up during the 70s, hearing songs like GV, Help Me Rhonda, etc. on the radio. It was all just in the background for me, until the medley came out. I remember whenever it played on the radio, my sister and I would sing along, and I guess that's where I really started to take notice.

22. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I know I'm going to miss those "what if SMiLE had been released?" days, the anticipation, the false alarms, the expectation...

23. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Just wait - the bitching that will erupt when folk actually hear the box (as opposed to thinking they know what's on it) will make the past seven and a half months seem like a mime convention in a Trappist monastery.

24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

*cracks knuckles*

Let's rock.

25. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

How about when this is all over we move our attention to the infamous unreleased (and unfinished) Jerry Lewis film "The Day The Clown Cried"....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.