The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

"Onzième partie" would do the trick ('part one' translates into 'première partie', and so forth).

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I see your point, I'll just have to focus on all the good stuff. Great to see some Louisiana people digging Smile here :cheers:

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It is still possible that Brian's mix of "Child" will be the culmination of one of those "sessions" tracks -- most of the time on the Pet Sounds box, the session bits were followed by a complete backing "master." And before you say it, they haven't promised that ALL of discs 2-5 will be in stereo, just "whenever possible."

Same thing goes for "Fire" -- we may get Brian's mix in there somewhere. They haven't specifically said we're NOT getting those mixes...

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I hope that you're right, but according to Mr. Schneider, this is not the case with Child.

5. Sean Murdock

Oh, right -- I forgot he said that. Oh well, I gave it a shot! I'm sure the liner notes will explain their omission, or at least discuss Brian's mixes.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Is it possible that Brian's original mono mixes weren't included because they wanted sonic consistency with the new mono mixes being made for the "SMiLE" on disc 1? Maybe Mark and Alan tried replicating Brian's mixes in a less-muddy fashion. Either way, Brian signed off on them so this is what he wants us to hear. I'd think a Mark & Alan mono "Wonderful" next to a Brian mono "Child" would sound obviously different. Not to mention that the tracks are altered with fly-in's, edits, and so forth, anyway.

18 days to go (US)

7. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Wow, been away from the SMiLE fray lately..but just saw this pic from the last thread.

So that's what they meant by 3D cover! :righton: I was thinking something holographic or something like that...but that's frickin' sweat! I was seriously thinking on cancelling my pre-order....but that's classy :agree:

[​IMG]

:cool:

(Tee-hee, does Brian Wilson have a coffee stain on his shirt!)

8. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Likewise! :cheers:

I think a lot of fans assumed that a central focus of the Smile box was going to be, "What might have been? What was the state of Smile back when Brian abandoned it?". It turns out that this doesn't seem to be a concern of the box at all. It's more like, "Here it is, NOW, and here's how he recorded it".

Chris

9. Chris M

I don't think that is the case considering the disc one Child is said to be from an acetate. In that case you have 2011 Mark & Alan mixes next to a 1966 Brian mix from a 45 year old acetate. Note that I'm not lamenting the '66 mono Child not being on Disc One necessarily...I just think it is an over-sight not to have it anywhere on the set.

BTW, isn't the Disc One Wonderful the 1966 mono mix with a small bit of yodeling flown in?

10. Sean Murdock

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that given the incredible attention to detail that we KNOW went into this set, if those vintage mixes aren't on there, there's a good reason. As an aside -- these were all ROUGH mixes, right? I mean, it's not like there's a tape box marked "Child - FINAL MIX" that they've ignored?

(Don't get me wrong -- I love rough mixes too, and "historical" mixes in general. It rankled me when tracks on the Beatles Anthology were remixed when we knew rough mixes existed. But again, until we know for sure, I'm going to believe that either (a) they ARE on there somewhere, or (b) there's a good reason for them NOT being on there.)

11. Chris M

I believe Fire is indeed a finished mix. Others will know more though. Of course, Child is nowhere near a "final mix" since the verse vocals were not recorded/lost BUT it's the only vintage mix we have. At least until next month.

12. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I had no idea that there were any "finished" mixes, per se. IIRC correctly, all the Child mixes, apart from having missing vocals, have clunky edits, stray bits of talkback mic mixed in. IMO none of the mixes I have seem like they are final, but then again many of them are from bad tape copies or choked with excessive NoNoise.

Does anyone know for a fact which mixes of Smile tracks were considered final?
    (not trying to bust on you Chris)

Dan

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I agree on all counts which is why I found it more than mildly amusing. How a guy (The Zodiac) can know that much about SMiLE and throw all those zany jokes in on top of it is a pleasure for me to read on a daily basis.

Have you ever read The Zodiac's blog? It has to be one of the funniest things on the net. He cracks me up weekly.

I've been listening to this SMiLE material in various forms since the 70s but am no way as deep into it as others here. I wish I was but I have to use what little brain space I have for The Beatles. Even there I haven't been able to keep up over the years.

I'll just be happy when we can quit all the speculation and discuss what has actually been released.

14. Chris M

I think there is only one vintage 1966 Child mix, Brian's 3:00 inst mono mix/edit with the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/middle 8/chorus order I've been going on about. It's on Archeology in poor quality, IIRC it surfaced years after the SOT stuff so it's less common than the vocal versions you describe. Sounds far more cohesive that versions with the clunky edits you describe.

The 'finished' mix I was talking about is Fire with the crackling f/x.

15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I suspect we'll never get an answer to this, but it seems to me that track might be a prime candidate for one of the mysterious tracks that Brian nixed from the set. After all, Brian's complicated feelings about the song have long been central to the SMiLE legend.

I'm disappointed too that we don't seem to be getting the vintage "Fire," but Sean is right that it's way too early to get too worked up about it.

16. Sean Murdock

Yes, but was it really "finished" or just provisional? I don't think ANY tracks for the SMiLE album were ever put on the shelf marked "DONE."

17. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I don't think it's a stain. It's just the way the light is hitting the shirt or the way the shirt pattern photographs. If you look at the bottom of the shirt near the Smile box, you can see the same thing there.

18. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Which leads on to another question: Did Brian ever intend to record the ahh vocals for Fire, as per Fall Breaks?

I remember reading somehwere that Darian played Fire for him and he started singing the Fall Breaks vocals. Whether this means they were planned for Fire all along, or that Brian was just getting them mixed up in his head, I was never sure.

19. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

Thanks for the updated list!

20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

My all-time favorite post on the entire thread...

21. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Bloody Brian Wilson apologists :D

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If I could fit a hat on my giant head I'd tip it in your general direction. Thanks.

Forget Brian's dinner stain, how about them fingernails?

23. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Nope. What you get are the sessions with nothing edited together at the end.
    Correct.

24. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Sweat? Gross!

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I just checked out Zodiac's blog and read about the Brian Wilson meeting. Most excellent. Not being a Smile expert I bought the vinyl release of Brian Wilson presents Smile and gave it a spin yesterday. What do the Smile affectionados think of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.