The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 11)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

:magoo::magoo:

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

3. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Sean, I have referenced your chart many times. Greatly appreciated!

4. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Brian said in one of the interviews in these threads that this is the sequence he wants you to hear. To paraphrase, he said something like the order of the songs is the journey he wants to take you on when he was asked if it matters what order people listen to the songs on their ipods.

5. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

For god's sake it's called SMiLE!

6. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

The food here is awful and such small portions!

7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I laughed so hard I cried when I saw this. :laugh:

Definitely post of the day! Thanks I really needed that. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Stop laughing at me. I ain't like them other people.

I think Alan Boyd said they found a rough mix of the complete song with Barnshine intact made in '68. Not necessarily a Brian Wilson mix, per se, but sorta vintage....I guess....

9. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Holy cow is this box gonna look great!!!!

Attached Files:

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I would never laugh at you. I just find it comical that we stress on something we have no control over. Box will be here soon. Looking forward to everyone's comments, especially yours. :)

11. theniall

theniall Forum Resident

Where is that from

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's a rotated and de-skewed crop of the twitpic of Brian signing the deluxe box.

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Not sure what's funny. The Zodiac is one of the few bona fide Smile scholars here. The guy is a veritable Smile E.F. Hutton along with like Jon Hunt, Lou, Bellagio and Andreas. All of which know a helluva lot more about this stuff than I do.

15. Chris M

I get the impression you guys don't realize the significance of Brian's mixes. Brian (like his idol Phil Spector) was a master at blending two different sounds/instruments to create a new, third sound. He worked incredibly hard at this. Even though his Child mix was obviously not a final mix it will still have a little of that Good Vibrations era Brian/Chuck fairy dust sprinkled on it. Being that there are only half a dozen surviving mixes from 9 months of Smile sessions is inexplicable there isn't a place for them on a 5 CD box.

Forget about Child, the lack of Brian's Fire mono mix, a track which unlike Child, was finished/nearly finished is indefensible. On top of Brian's talent for blending sounds he was the master of the fade. All of this is out the window in a remix which is why the 12 minutes or whatever of '66 mixes should have a place on the box.

Of course, with so few vintage mixes it is necessary to remix/mix for the 1st time, obviously I'm fine with that since there is no alternative.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If they were reconstructing a lost Jane Austen novel would they include a hardback, two paperbacks a USB stick and a bonnet?

No wonder rock music is seen as a low' art. :laugh:

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:laugh: Your metaphors are growing increasingly strained. So what, now you're complaining because they're including vinyl as well as CD's, or is this just more free floating displeasure? Many people enjoy both formats. Though I don't have a record player, I rather like the idea of having this legendary release in that format. This isn't the Aqualung set, where they felt compelled to repeat the same content in four different formats. And there are no marbles or scarves that I'm aware of.

It's obvious that you're determined to kvetch about every minute aspect of this set before it even hits and it's getting tiresome. At least the Zodiac gets some good laughs in there. . .

18. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

With only 2 weeks to go before the release, it wouldn't surprise me if we get another couple of tracks streaming on the Facebook page this week.

19. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I can empathize with your position on this - ideally Brian's original mixes should all be included. However I think Bikemore probably hit the nail on the head. I can imagine them really struggling to work out what to include and what to ditch, and it wouldn't surprise me if Brian was asked about his original Child mix and he just said 'junk it' on the basis that it sounds incomplete compared to the disc 1 new mix. If Brian had to listen to Smile, I bet he'd go for the disc 1 approximation every time. I just don't think he places the same value on the historically correct stuff that we do. That's not to say leaving those mixes off the set was the right thing to do and I bet the decision wasn't taken lightly - Just that there were always going to be some disappointments with this release. Personally I can live with those decisions.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

They can feature whatever versions they feel are most appropriate for the approximation piece, but on a set of this size and scope, a document of the Smile Sessions, it seems wrong to exclude Brian's few original mixes from the period. I mean, if they can make room for Teeter-Totter Love, Psycodelic Sounds and all the rest, I think they can carve out twelve minutes to present actual examples of how Brian would have assembled those tracks. I can't speculate as to what Brian might have vetoed, but the big box was designed for hard core fans and we care about these things.

21. Chris M

I could be way off but I can't imagine the subject of the Child mono mix came up with Brian. If so I doubt he would care considering he (presumably) was fine with 10 minutes of Child "session highlights". I just don't see how 3 hours of Brian coaching the musicians and loads of false starts is green lighted but something like 3 of the half-dozen surviving vintage mixes are "junked".

I mean no finished mono mix of Fire but we get the (already released on Hawthorne) "Hal Blaine Vegetables Promo Session" and "Three Blind Mice"? I'll get over it but hopefully a friend will have some of hash joints left for me :D

22. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

This is a pet peeve of mine - even leaving aside the obvious fact of Brian's own gift for musical blends on tape, there is little excuse for not attempting to honour the artist's original intent (or at least the steps they that managed to make so far, if they didn't manage to complete the journey). You only have to compare some of Jimi Hendrix's authentic mixes (made with Eddie Kramer) of his 1970 material with those that were compiled posthumously, to hear the difference that the artist/producer's own input makes.

23. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

Looks like I'm going to have to catch this again.

... shouldn't this be: 'Partie Onze', and not 'Part 11'? ;)

24. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Your point is well stated, but perhaps the Brian of today just doesn't place such a high value on these "vintage" early mixes which may still sound "incomplete" to him. He / the band certainly didn't feel the need to release them in the intervening 45 years. Basically, the box's thesis is that the album was recorded in 1966/1967 and mostly "assembled" in 2004. Maybe Brian (or Mark and Alan) felt that including the early mixes resulted in redundancy in the box and less room for session variations (which hopefully contain all the raw material you would need, albeit not in mono). It would be a good question for Mark on icon fetch once the box comes out.

25. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Wow, part 11?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.