The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP...(dixième partie)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallasone

dallasone Active Member

For my part, I took that quote regarding Barnyard Suite, combined it with a quote from Van Dyke saying that the Elements was the only song that would have crossfades, or what have you. I combined them to come to the conclusion that the Barnyard Suite was in fact the Elements Suite under another name.

If you can accept that premise (and I quickly found it bordered on blasphemy) it seems that Barnyard (and I mean the acetate thingy) could be Earth!! That presents its own problem, in that the Frank Holmes illustration which refers to Vega-Tables as The Elements. I don't see how you can get around that, but it actually doesn't impact on my thesis as much as I thought it did, because I thought it said "Vega-Tables (Earth)" it actually says "My Vega-Tables The Elements".

EDIT: Just noticed looking at that picture, that looking out of the window, you see Water (the wave), Fire (the Sun), and Air (the birds are flying through something). There are also clouds.

Attached Files:

2. dallasone

dallasone Active Member

3. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

The "fault line" could be earth as well.

4. Fatheroftheman

Fatheroftheman New Member

Hey Guys, I'm FatherOfTheMan from The Smiley Smile Forums (which, were obviously hacked...)

I just wanted to re-ignite the "Surf's Up Part 2" theory, which I've been studying for a few years in my spare time...

Surf's Up Part 2 was originally named by Dom in LLVS, who described it as including "French Horns" and "Conversation" which we now know as "George Fell into his French Horn" However, in 1971 when Carl and Steve were working on Surf's Up, Carl said he remembered a "More advanced Vocal Part" for the "Wailing" ending. My theory is that either Brian recorded the "Child" section in '66-'67 OR Carl simply mistook "CIFOTM" as an ending for Surf's Up, which begs the question... Did Brian Originally Intend to Reprise "Child"?

So honestly, if Brian did, Flown in "CIFOTM" Vocals would make sense, No?

If anyone has any questions, i'd consider my self a "SMiLE Scholar", especially since i discovered the "H&V" and "GV" SMiLE Sessions Mp3's, so ask away.

5. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Couldn't "a choral piece following 'Surf's Up'" be the 'a children's song' portion finally recorded for the SU album? It's such an intrinsic part, hard to imagine it wasn't always intended there. And that would follow Vosse's thought: "Surf's Up" a kind of closer, "child" THE closer.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Aww, c'mon...the guy couldn't even remember the lyrics to Good Vibrations in the previous scene.

7. Daniel Plainview

Or it could be a "Prayer" reprise, such as on BWPS, just before GV.

8. Possible, but I've always felt - and this is just my reading of the various pieces of info about it - that the "children play" reprise of CFOTM was a much later afterthought, probably of Carl's. Part of this is simply that the "their song is love" couplet really does not sound like Van Dyke Parks. Frankly, as beautiful as the singing is, that lyric has always vaguely embarrassed me. Its feel is much more early seventies than late sixties - and I'd find it easier to believe it was the product of the same minds behind, say, "Student Demonstration Time" or "The Trader" than the guy who wrote "The All Golden".

Also, I'm pretty sure Vosse says it's a wordless piece, though I don't have the article hand.

Similarly, and not to dump on Dallasone or imply anything heretical in the suggestion, I think it's a reach to equate Barnyard (or indeed the "Barnyard Suite") with the Elements. There doesn't seem to be any direct evidence to support the notion - and indeed even the idea that there would have been crossfades in the "Barnyard Suite" seems to be primarily conjecture, especially as many of these recordings seem to have been done during Brian's "tape explosion" phase.

EDIT: Having reread the above, I realise I was making quite a stretch myself with the "tape explosion" stuff (though both the Cantina Mix and I'm in Great Shape have them, that probably reflects more their origin as Heroes recordings than anything specifically to do with a Barnyard suite). Basically, with the exception of "Cantina Fade" (quite probably at the end of a separate OMP track, leading into "I'm in Great Shape") and possible exception of "Barnyard", if the box reveals the fade to have been a definite part of the track, there is no reason the other sections couldn't have had direct edits into each other.

9. Hey Zodiac - yeah, I suggested a prayer reprise in my initial post about the Fusion article. Alternately, of course, Brian might just have changed his mind about the placing - or indeed said "intro" while meaning the opposite. The other alternative is that the other boys were intended to come in with harmonies over the "wailing" section at the end when the vocals were properly recorded.

10. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Brings to mind something mentioned in the last thread

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6987618&postcount=743

11. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'm an entertainment editor for a city-based monthly culture publication, but am friends with someone who worked as a researcher and segment producer on David Leaf's Beautiful Dreamer documentary about Brian Wilson and Smile. She's the one who hooked me up with Domenic and Darian. Basically, I'll be writing a story about my experience becoming a fan of Smile, my friend's experience working on the documentary and meeting Wilson, Parks, Darian, and include a few quotes from Domenic and Darian in this. I'll also interview some locals about what they love about Smile.

That will be one article, but I'm currently looking for other outlets, preferably a national publication of course, to run the FULL more extensive interview with Darian. I'll let you guys know what that magazine is when I know! Cheers.

12. olsen

olsen Senior Member

That makes the most sense to me. It's a wordless part, and a rather big ending to the album (I rather doubt Brian would end a Beach Boys album with his own solo wailing voice). It's as much a choral finish (I'd argue moreso) as a simple reprise of Prayer.

And who knows, maybe a reprise beginning with "a children's song" was always in the works, i.e. AGD's comment, and that's why Brian charged into the SU sessions, and Carl et al stepped up to the plate and wrote out a part.

Anyway it's an interesting theory.

13. Daniel Plainview

I think the best way to end the album is to give "Surf's Up" the "Bugged At My Old Man" slot and then end with some "Do a lot" chants like Wild Honey.

14. olsen

olsen Senior Member

That makes the most sense to me. It's a wordless part, and a rather big ending to the album (I doubt Brian would end a Beach Boys album with his own solo wailing voice). It's as much a choral finish (I'd argue more so) as a simple reprise of Prayer.

And who knows, maybe a reprise beginning with "a children's song" was always in mind (i.e. AGD's comment that something similar was attempted at the time) and that's why Brian charged into the SU sessions, and Carl et al stepped up to the plate and wrote out a part.

Anyway it's an interesting theory.

15. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Pretty funny.

16. olsen

olsen Senior Member

17. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

The biggest disappointment to me is that no further vocals for "Worms" turned up. That was the most pleasant surprise, for me, on BWPS: it's really a marvelous song, and the VDP words do a lot to cement the "Americana" theme of the album. It's also a buzzkill to go straight from the completely-realized H&V to a half-finished track, however beautifully creepy that half-finished track is.

Capitol Records, if you're reading this: I would pay for a download of Al Jardine overdubbing lead vocals onto the 1966 track, provided the new vocals were convincingly recorded.

18. Daniel Plainview

And using the correct melody.

19. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Speaking of "Great Shape"....is the 3rd of the three short instrumental 'eggs & grits' versions the 'best' take or was the master take (like OMP) cut out of the multitrack for a comp reel that is now lost?

20. Daniel Plainview

I THINK they said the next take was THE take but we haven't heard it. Don't know if it's lost or what the deal is.

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

That was quick! Thanks my man :righton:

22. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Fair point - this is the first mention of anything like this that I've ever heard. Color me highly dubious.

23. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

You're all, I feel, giving Vosse to much credence for accuracy: remember, in the Fusion interview, less than two years after the sessions, he thought that "Cabin Essence" was an entirely new recording, based on his mistaken belief that Brian's ear operation was successful and he could now hear in stereo. If it was a small error about a date, I could handle it, but that's a major, major mistake.

24. theniall

theniall Forum Resident

Am I the only one worried the smiley smile board is gone for good..

A world of information was on that site. Such a shame I only came across it very recently

25. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Two things worry me - one, was anything backed up... and two, SS has been very low on Chuckie's to-do list for a long time. may have to start from scratch again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.