The Beach Boys original SMiLE to be released on CD and vinyl LP...(dixième partie)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Heh. We seem to have had very different reactions to this quote. I found it oddly charming.

2. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

You seem to have a very odd definition of "charming". ;)

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Well, he has a odd sort of quality that makes these kind of comments seem far less cruel than they would from most anyone else. One of my favorite Brian stories (which may be apocryphal, but I choose to believe) has some unnamed famous musician presenting Brian an LP cover to sign. Brian autographs it and adds the message "Thanks for all the great music" but before handing it back, he reconsiders, crosses out "great" and replaces it with "good."

4. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Passive-aggressive to a fault.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm no insider, but it sure looks like BW doesn't want to do any of this.

Just like he always hasn't wanted to do any of this.

Can't help but think he's being pushed/dragged/cajoled into the Anniversary.

Maybe even The Wife is nudging him along.

6. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I don't think he's WANTED to do ANYTHING since about 1976-ish. Maybe even before that.

That doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing is GOOD for him.

7. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

The story is entirely true, and unfortunate recipient was Don Henly. :D

8. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

"Good"? He was still being generous. ;)

9. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

No one is more deserving than Don.

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm am delighted to learn this! Also glad to learn the recipient (seems perfect, somehow. You need someone that smug to really make it work).

11. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

This quote from Rolling Stain makes them sound like they were in a grizzly car accident.

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I don't think so. He's very blunt these days and he probably looks at working with them as undesirable overall. He's in a better place now with more cooperative people/musicians around him. He's probably not looking forward into all the business that goes into working with Mike, Uncle Jesse, and a new band.

13. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Will the tour merchandise include Uncle Jesse mullet wigs for kids? That's the ONLY way I'm going.

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I agree with you. Brian seems to favor his "comfort zones". He's been working with most of his current band for quite a long time now. I think he'd be somewhat lost playing with musicians he's not familiar with and setlists he's not accustomed to. Allowing Jeff on stage with Brian might help some.

Uncle Jesse. Please, no.

15. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Hey everybody, :wave:

Which version of "Barnyard" was tracked on October 20, 1966?, the fade to the Cantina version of H&V, or the acetate version with the boys making animal sounds.

I have a SMiLE sessions breakdown from an old issue of Endless Summer Quarterly (ESQ) and it says that the fade to the Cantina version of H&V is what was tracked that day.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Animal noises. The other one was tracked the same day as Old Master Painter/Sunshine as it was meant for that song originally.

17. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

As for tape box documentation, we have to wait for the liner notes to see if anything is mentioned along those lines. But the Humble Harv demo makes clear, at least to me, that after the two verses, and then a "flugelhorn" - the horn figure just before the chorus in the single mix, you know what I'm referring to - comes I'm in Great Shape. He doesn't stop playing but goes directly into it from the verses on the demo, and he's showing Harv how the song goes. He would have said "here's another section" if he wasn't sure it was going to follow the verses.

For Barnyard he DOES say "here's another section" so it's placement is uncertain - but the acetate and presumably the tape (which we'll hear on the box) fades and therefor it would appear to be the fade for the song, at least before Barnshine replaced it. And it's the last part of the song he sings on the demo. But he does say "we're still working" so that's not definite. It would appear Brian planned something else for inbetween Shape and Barnyard, or else why wouldn't Brian have just continued the song or said "and then it goes" or something along those lines. We have a report that "sunny down snuff" was attempted in December, but Mike objected to the lyrics (perhaps right after the "crow cries" debacle) so it was put on hold until the Smiley sessions to finish the song. I would guess Brian was looking at verses/Great Shape/a capella section/Barnyard and was still working on other sections, like my children were raised/sunny down snuff to fit into the song. Other sections that might have fit in here are Do a Lot (a BB insider reported a tape box labeled Great Shape with two versions of Do a Lot in it - this could be what was recorded at the mysterious Oct 17 vocal session for Great Shape that precedes the tracking both for Heroes and Great Shape itself (Oct 20 and 27th respectively).

I'll be interested in "Swedish frog" and where that fits in - because of Paul Williams account of the session it's always been assumed that was done in December right before Christmas, so it might have been a section (and then come out as part of Great Shape) but if "Animals" is Swedish frog, then the box set lists it as late February as Brian was trying to finish "Part Two."

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Thanks again for all the info, lou. Looking forward to hearing the longer (complete?) HH demo on the box.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Hmm.. At first you wrote, "Brian makes it quite clear where great shape and Barnyard would go in the early Heroes mix." Then Sean responded. Now everything you wrote above seems to suggest it is far from clear on WHERE these parts would go. You even said: "For Barnyard he DOES say "here's another section" so it's placement is uncertain."

20. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

I'm most reliably informed that the 2/15/67 "H&V Part 3 (Animals)" session is indeed the fabled "Swedish Frog".

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

So was Paul wrong or was he describing "something else"?

22. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Since there's a lot of 'presumin' going on about Barnyard. Here's my 2 centavos.

I take Brian at his word that there was to be a Barnyard suite. The second SMiLE debacle was still fresh in their minds, I'm sure. In Priess they each have more to say about the project than all their other statements from over the years put together.

We know from Peter Reum that Brian continued to obsess over SMiLE. Was Barnyard a 70's construct? It looks like the new box is going to answer that.

People also seem eager to dismiss Brian's '90's Barnyard Billy fragment that he sings in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. But he does it so spontaneously, and his pained demeanor does not say to me that it was a rehearsed moment. He plucked that bit out of the air, and if enterprising souls take that bit and fly it in over some of the Barnyard bits, they will find that it's actually not off by much, pitchwise. I've done it, but it was years ago and I can't remember which bit -- but I think it was Barnshine, and it sounds like an outro he's singing to me. But hey, I'm just presumin'. :)

Lastly, about butt-end edits. Yes, that was Brian's methodology on GV. But, he was flying stuff onto eight track on that song. If that experimental process had continued to the albums completion, who's to say he wouldn't have discovered the overlapping fade technique? We'll never know... I'm just presumin'. :)

23. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Has to have been describing something else, unless February 1967 came before Christmas 1966 back them. :righton:

24. Jon Busey-Hunt

Given that "Barnyard" itself has a fade, where else would it go in the song but the fade?

25. Jon Busey-Hunt

...meaning there are YET MORE animal noise sessions lost to the annals of history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.