The Beach Boys original SMiLE released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

Yeah, but even allowing for your theory that the DYLW lyrics were supposed to go over Holidays, unlike DYLW there's no specific "Hawaiian" section of Holidays for Al to be referring to. The song is one continuous section until the outro, and neither strike me as tropical. Whereas DYLW has sections that are explicitly tropical and was never tracked under any other name. Al was just confused.

2. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

The million units thing was in reference to how many albums Capitol was going to sell in January, total.

3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I thought you announced your resignation from this thread a few pages ago..;)

4. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I mentioned this a few pages back. It's kind of funny, there's no way I can listen to it and not sing the KISS song; wouldn't have been an issue back in '67.

5. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Well, send it over to me if you don't want it. I gladly paid $125 for the box, another $25 for a portable version won't break me.

6. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

I agree ... I heard it and instantly started singing it!

7. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Anyone else see Van Dyke with the chamber orchestra last night? not to threadcrap but it's as close as Kiss...

8. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

Good plan, or he can throw it up on the classifieds. I think they let you do that after 75,000 posts or so.

markshan likes this.
  9. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Yah, I remember that from the discussions, but it still seems like its intended to be a one step away pun. Dig would be at the tip of the tongue of most of these hip fellows. Hell of a clever title, for various reasons.

10. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Ah that makes more sense.

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

This similarity has always been audible, even on the single mix. Just listen to the backing vocals during the chorus.

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Been listening to this release on CD and LP for a couple of days now. Fantastic.

I'm sure Michael Fremer will be doing a full and in-depth review soon..

http://www.musicangle.com/

13. Hi JayDeeEss - isn't there a bit of a mellow, tropical vibe to the outro? Otherwise, yep, the Al memory point is probably irrelevant to the case I'm making, or actually contradictory!

What's really interesting me is if anyone else apart from Dvakman can hear "Waving Indians behind..." in that Holidays rehearsal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.