The Beach Boys original SMiLE released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Compelling to hear these little snippets. A beautiful voice singing in the background, half heard obscured by other voices is pretty appropriate for Smile.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Still no photos of the sandbox. When, Lord, when!??!

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Why didn't Brian finish SMiLE?
    He was admittedly attempting to make "a symphony to God." I would assert that at some point thereafter, it was no longer Brian's project. Being that the state of God's universe is not in one piece, having exploded eons ago -- is this perhaps SMiLE as it was meant to be heard?

:angel:

A sprawling mystery of tiny musical galaxies. Stories and episodes as endless in and of themselves as any fantasy of assembling it all. Yes, if you wish, there's those infinite combinations to play with...but you've done that -- I've done that. And I've failed as have you.

[​IMG]

I think SMiLE makes sense this way. I'm more than happy to give pause visiting a particular musical vignette. It moves me all the same and more so. To paraphrase a quote from Roger Waters: nothing is more important than that.

Whenever I tried to make more sense of the SMiLE universe, less sense of it was the result. What I did not expect to find with this set, was no longer the need to do so. I'm perfectly blown to bits by just how much there is to hear.

4. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Carol Kaye mentioned that she used Fuzz-Bass (which is overmodulated sound like a guitar by Hendrix) on some parts of SMiLE on a web site about her so that might be it. Ive heard it before on some of Herb Alperts SRO album and the bass player Pat Senetore was taught by Carol Kaye. Hope it helps, John M.:wave::):righton:

5. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Yeah..that's what I was thinking at first, and I can hear it on some of the other songs, but this is like the whole side 4 is cut hot. I'll have to put up a sample someplace.

It's really bad.

I thought it was my gear, but I put on another LP, "The Who By Numbers" Classic Records cut and that sounds fine.

6. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

No photos of the living-room gym either. I'm guessing no-one though they were a big deal, just Brian being... Brian.

7. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Four notes.

Even though he sings it when they are working on the first section, I like it sung over the "Wa halla loo lay
    Wa halla loo lah" part instead, as a counter melody:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ppj6mg

9. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

Hmmm, I said that 2 pages ago. It's very similar isn't it?

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

There's a UK box set of Beach Boys Capitol singles that came out in 1979 - presumably they are made from dubs and therefore probably not as good as the original US singles. Also, the sleeves are horrendous! I saw the UK set quite recently - seemed to be pressed from 'new' stampers rather than the original UK stampers.

The original US 45 must be one of the more plentiful 45s in existence. Also, you get "Let's Go Away For Awhile" on the flip side of the US single instead of "Wendy" which you find on the flip side of the UK 45 (and the reissue) :nyah:.

I would be surprised if there weren't US 45 re-issues for "Good Vibrations" although I doubt they'd have the original picture sleeve design - anyone know?

Nitpick #2580: there's a dropout 5 secs into "Holidays" - was that section (marimba + woodwind) taken from an original mono mix or was it mixed from the multitrack?

:)

11. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Some thoughts and observations:

-In Domenic Priore's essay he mentions that Carl was 19 years old during these recordings. Incredible to think these guys were still kids when all of this was going on eh? Their ages are something that tend to be forgotten a lot in the SMiLE story.

-The Beach Boys version of You're Welcome on disc 4 blows away the Brian-only B-side in every way for me! I've never been able to enjoy this song as much as on the complete BB take.

-In The SMiLE Sessions book, on the tape box for Vegetables (Fade) (cd 4, track 1) it says: String quarter notes (like heroes bridge + middle part of wonder). The chords played are indeed the heroes bridge. As everybody knows, on Smiley Smile this was also insterted in Wonderful. Seems kind of interesting that on April 12, 1967 Brian was already planning on inserting it in Wonderful. Strange that no one has discussed this before in this thread.

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I like. :cool::thumbsup:

14. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

me too! In Dutch, the word "Vakman" means craftsman. Well done!

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Listening to the sessions for "Our Prayer," I was struck just how DAMN GOOD those guys were. The parts Brian came up with are hard as hell to sing, and yet they pretty much nailed them on take after take after take, and yet Brian STILL busts their balls and makes them do it AGAIN - which they willing do.

I am humbled by the sheer level of excellence that they were striving for!

16. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

I credit Jon Hunt and Zodiac for getting the syncopation right. I just moved it one bar. But thanks!!!!!!

17. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I am trying to decide between the LP or the two CD version. I see they have different bonus cuts after "You're Welcome". I know the response is likely to be I need it all :). For those who do have it all, can you offer an opinion which bonus cuts are stronger?

18. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

2 CD version.

That's assuming you want some session material and more bonus tracks. It's a great little package that just about perfectly sums up the big set.

19. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I keep going back to the second disc. The two CD version does not disappoint. I've listened to the full box 4 times and have probably listened to the 2 CD box about 25 times (I got it the Thursday prior to release). I can't get enough of the 2 CD set. It's fine for someone that doesn't want the Full Monty.

20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I only have just the vinyl and 2 cd set. The vinyl sounds great and the stereo version of Wind Chimes is epic but the 2 cd set has so much more on it that it's a no contest. Trust me that you will appreciate to be able to play the CDs in the car or rip to a portable device to listen to and from work as it hard to stop listening to. If you love the set and want the vinyl package then get the vinyl next. If your a vinyl person it's done very well. You can tell yourself that at least your not getting the full box, that's what I did.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Played my double vinyl (from the boxed set) this morning. Well done! They're both quiet, clear, flat pressings.

22. themeforajackal

themeforajackal New Member

This is exactly what i thought when i heard the vocals.

23. bward

bward Senior Member

Can I just say as someone who is not a huge Beach Boys fan, but who respects and admires Brian Wilson, that this Smile set (2CD) is great?

I know next to nothing about what was released on earlier BB albums, what's been bootlegged, what's new, but I am really enjoying this.

I did buy Brian Wilson's Smile when it was released, but I like this better.

I doubt I'll be springing for the big Smile box, but that is one nice looking package of music.

I wish the 2CD set had more information about what I'm actually listening to-I'd rather have that than a button or poster. But that's a quibble. I can learn about Smile on line.

What kind of comment on modern music is it that Beach Boys Smile, a collection of material that mostly sat unreleased since 1966/67 might be the best album of 2011?

24. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Is it my imagination or does the "Smile Advertisement" hidden track on disk one end with a slightly different mix of the fadeout of 'Good Vibrations'? It also seems slightly longer than the fade of the original single...

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Brian Wilson's Smile ,Not sure I will Play that much now,as good as this it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.