The Beach Boys original SMiLE released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

No WAY! That store's a real sausage factory! ;)

Now I gotta take a better look at mine. looks like you got a rarity!

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I know the Oak has been lobbying hard for a new Al vocal on Worms, adding the lost lyrics and this newly hinted at vocal melody from Disc 3. I guess I'd be curious to hear their take on this material now, but only as a stand alone project. For this set, I think it's best that they stuck with the old tapes, even if they lacked vocals.

3. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve

Personally, No.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Very cool. Is that yours?

5. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

George Takei, and he wants his back NOW.

6. Jeff_64

Jeff_64 New Member

Oh my!

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

what ?

8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

A resounding mono NO!! :sigh:

9. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Well, I have finally received the boxset and have listened to the vinyl singles and disk 1 on CD. I had to stop and eat and comment that the sound quality is so amazing relative to the bootlegs we've been listening to for years, that from the first note of Our Prayer, I was just blown away. I think the way the album is sequenced is great and it finally feels like a pretty complete whole. Yes, it would be cool if there were more lyrics on some tracks, but given what we have, Mark and Alan did a fantastic job.

I am now convinced that the album, even if it would have been a 12-track single LP, had it been released in January 1967, would today be regarded as the best pop/rock album of the 1960s, and quite possibly ever. It's just a staggering accomplishment, and in some ways, it's really no wonder that it overwhelmed Brian.

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and thoughts in this long and winding thread. I hope the world comes to know SMiLE now, and I hope that tracks like Surf's Up, Cabin Essence, and H&V will receive some radio play.

10. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Look at the shopkeepers....

11. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Yes. Purchased earlier this week from a kind soul that wanted a correct set.
    A slip up at the factory and they duplicated the entire left side except the background which is one solid piece. I wonder if there's an all female SMiLE shop?
    Haha! "Balloon knot!"

12. Congrats, most likely an instant rarity.

13. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Indeed I have. It is like when they take computer animation,and reconstruct what the Colosseum looked like when new. I don't want them to do construction work on the real Colosseum, but I do like seeing what it looked like. I don't want them to get rid of the historically preserved Worms, but I would love an alternate version, and to review...here is why:

1. All the track is missing are the lead vocals
    2. We have vintage 1966/67 lyrics
    3. We have an exciting just discovered vintage melody
    4. Al is the one Beach Boy who sounds amazingly like his 1960's self, and did sing leads on Beach Boys songs

I would like them to "finish" it, and offer it as an itunes exclusive or something similar. It would be an interesting curiosity.

14. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

I also heard that Sesame Street comparison immediately.
    Funny I never heard it in the song before these Sessions.
    Weirdly enough, I used to have, I guess you'd call them freakout parties back in college, and besides SMiLE, I would also play TV theme songs, and the first track was ... Sesame Street.
    Of course, that tv show came out in '69, so originality is all there, as usual.

15. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Absolutely amazing, the most beautiful piece of music i have had the pleasure to enjoy.
    Thank you Beach Boys.

16. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

The Oak's four step plan is starting to sound like Mike Love describing how he wrote 'excitations'....

:laugh: Just kidding, man, I love your diligence! I am that way on MANY issues with this album as I'm sure multiple others are here, too.

17. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I would normally be agin' this kind of thing, but man, Mick Jagger's vocals on that Exile stuff are so convincing that IF you could get Al to do it SUBTLY, I think I'd be in favor. You're right that the melody is "exciting." It's magnificent, and much better than the BWPS one.

It'll never happen, of course.

18. audiomac

audiomac Forum Resident

3. We have an exciting just discovered vintage melody

Where's this new melody?

19. Tilt Araiza

Tilt Araiza Forum Resident

The problem with the differing melody is that the verse backing track lasts 8 bars and the way Brian sings that melodic fragment in the DYLW indicates he could get through the line "Once upon the Sandwich Islands the social structure steamed upon Hawaii" in 4 bars. Cutting that melody in half and stopping at "islands" wouldn't sound right either (someone who actually understands music would be able to explain this, but the note "islands" ends on just wants to go to another note immediately, it's not a...I dunno...cadence or whatever). So you could gallop through both verses worth of lyrics in the space of one verse with that melody.

20. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

European-pressed LP's

Did anyone here buy the EU box or 2-LP set? After my fiasco with returning two sets to Amazon and the poor quality product coming out of Rainbo, I'd like to know where the European LP's were pressed, and who cut the lacquers. I've heard the EU LP's have stamped matrices, but no pressing plant or mastering scribe information.

21. Tilt Araiza

Tilt Araiza Forum Resident

Disc 3, Track 1 at 3m18s.

22. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

First off, this clip was the first thing to actually make me cry, I think, since the release. I really wish I had gone.
    Secondly, the guy at 1:45 looks like the man on the album cover!

23. I ordered mine trough amazon.us but am pretty sure it was delivered through amazon.uk since I didn't have any hassle with duty. When I opened the outer amazon box, the inner protective box said Made in Mexico.

Is there a difference as you inspect the LPs? Let me know and I'll check.

24. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

I'm so glad that the most recent recording on the box is from 1971. TSS, BWPS and purple chick should be enough versions of this thing IMO.

25. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora SeƱor Member

Confirmed for 2 LP set delivered by jpc.de, stamped matrices, very (make that VERY) good, quiet pressings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.