The Beach Boys original SMiLE released on CD and vinyl LP...(part 13)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star Thread Starter

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Don't gorts usually do this so the old one can be locked? Now there will be two open threads...part 12 and 13..should probably leave this job to the guys who are (not) paid to do it. :)

3. DrAftershave

Honestly, I'm not sure. The last thread is really getting up there. I'm sure somebody will either lock this or the other one. Gorts?

4. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

We'll go with this one...

Carry on, SMiLErs...:righton:

- Kevin

5. :)LOVE the winner of the contest for best video for "Heroes & Villains"!!!
    http://new.music.yahoo.com/beach-boys/videos/view/heroes-and-villains--223420574
    Totally Psychedelic/trippy & neo-"Yellow Submarine". Check it out!!!
    :angel:SOOOO grateful that Spotify has the full 5 CD set up for listening to...they also have the 2 CD version....as my 2 CD version is still on "backorder" at CDWOW (my first time ordering with them) & I'm' waiting on friends of mine, and nearby libraries to get the 5 CD Box Set version...:0

6. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

I was too busy constantly reading the thread to notice how large it had gotten! Back to checking my package tracking... :wave:

7. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I am in awe of this!! So, much goodness!! I will be listening the rest of the evening! Surf's Up (1967) made me break in to tears so, beautiful and yet, such hint of what was lost and what could have been....I immediately went to Teeter-Totter Love have always wondered what this sounded like and, I LOVE it! Such, a goofy fun song! Gonna learn it to cover it!! Well, Happy SMiLE day everyone!! To all of you who have waited longer than me (16 years) I hope this is all you have wished for! It is for me!!

8. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I just have to say, this is an amazing day.

Whoever thought this could/would happen and that Brian himself would be out handling most of the promotional activities.

The box looks incredible. The music is amazing.

I hope Brian is happy tonight. I know we are.

Thanks to all involved! :)

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I bought the 2 CD box today...thinking the big box was overkill. Have yet opend the 2 CD. Am I making a mistake by not getting the full monte?

10. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

11. DrAftershave

It's like crack, isn't it? :D ;)

12. DrAftershave

Probably not, unless you're an audio geek (an engineer like myself) or someone obsessed with making the perfect version from the scraps. There is some definitive material scattered throughout the big set, but as a casual/curious listener, the 2 Disc is probably all you need.

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

That being said, I do enjoy the Pet Sounds Sessions box...

14. DrAftershave

From the last thread:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...-album-smile/2011/11/01/gIQAQsVMdM_video.html

What makes me happy about all of this is that Brian himself is still alive to see it all finally come out. If he'll ever be uncomfortable with any of this seeing the legit light of day (doubt he'll publicly admit anything), he has to take some comfort that his work/ideas are being embraced by people/critics who waited so long to justify having it put out. Winning the race in long run has to be sweet.

15. DrAftershave

Well, then...you'll have to get the big box and just geek out. :D

16. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Really sad...went to Best Buy, closest store to where I work, nothing. After work went to FYE, nothing...they just got a box and sold it...no CDs, nothing. A small B&M store which specializes in vinyl...nothing...maybe Friday.

Dang, I'm reduced to downloading from Itunes. The shape of things to come...beware.

17. DrAftershave

Wow...the Best Buy In Burbank had about 20 copies each of the large and small box. I purposely ordered the large box through Amazon in case of running into shortage in a store, but I hedged my bet that I could easily pick up a small box, mainly so i can say that I physically picked one up on release day from an actual store.

18. CapitalQ

CapitalQ Forum Resident

Nonsense. Listen for free (legally) on Spotify until your stores have the box - or just order the box online. Don't spend any money on the iTunes version if you plan to still buy the CDs.

19. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

So, is it true that the double LP sold separately comes with custom inner sleeves, while the LPs included in the big box have cheap paper sleeves?

20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Listening to the vinyl now... adjectives fail me. This is beautiful!

21. I'll buy the two disc set tomorrow and the big box later!

22. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

My vinyl showed up yesterday, I have a date with my record player to listen to it tomorrow...

In the meantime I listened on Rhapsody (which has the whole box, btw), and man, is this release just awesome. I've heard various bootlegs, but nothing holds a candle to this.

23. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

We should all give a moment of silence or light a candle for Carl Wilson and Dennis Wilson on this glorious day. Those two supported the idea of the album more than any other members of the band and would be so stoked to see this reach the hands of the excited public like it is. We will always miss them and long live their smiles.

marmalade166 likes this.
  24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I had the pleasure of interviewing Van Dyke Parks a few years ago. I asked him if he ever thought Smile would be released (the 2004 version) He just said 'Not in my lifetime'. I'm so glad the real deal is out.

Did anyone spot the messages in the run out grooves of all 4 sides of the vinyl?

25. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I drove 70 miles one way and visited three stores and nobody had either the box or the 2 disc set. I've got the box on order, but I was going to buy the 2 disc set to have on release day. It seems the days of release day purchases are over in Southern Illinois...

In happier news, the estimated delivery day for my box is Friday!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.