The Beach Boys album-by-album thread - part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

He wasn't capable in '66 or '67 either, at least lyrically, as Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks would agree. Musically, though, for sure!

2. I like every one of these songs except for Al Jardine on the Garth Brooks tribute. I haven't heard that one. "Howdy from Maui: is funny! :D

3. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Okay, I've been following this thread from its very beginning in Part 1, and I gotta say that it's marvellous seeing the Boys get this treatment. Lots of wonderful tidbits of information that I hadn't seen before.

I hope it'll continue with discussions on the solo albums. At least Brian's and Denny's. :p

One question: Where is it possible to find the European version of Summer in Paradise? I have the US one, which is... well, so-so. :sigh: But I'd like to check out the European version, since most people I've heard prefer it to the US one.

4. Summer In Paradise UK is much rarer than the US version and quite expensive when you can find it. eBay is probably your best bet. The main reason to have it is the infinitely superior version of "Summer In Paradise" with Roger McGuinn. There are 4 other tracks that are somewhat different but not necessarily better or as good. Unless you're a fanatic or a collector it's probably not worth what you'll have to pay.

5. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

I bet you have it, don't you? :righton:

6. :righton:
    Of course, and the US version too! It's a Beach Boys Album (though some have disagreed with this) and therefore a necessity of life! :D

Summer In Paradise, while far from the Beach Boys best, is highly underrated.

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The live version of SIP from Wembley is pretty decent. Completely different pace.

8. Do you have a date for this concert? Is it available anywhere? :)

9. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Well, I'm both a collector and a fanatic, but unfortunately a poor one. :D

I'll take a look at eBay, though, just in case.

10. Found it! Wembley 29 June 1993. I have Summer In Paradise from this concert. It's an excellent performance. :) Wish I had the whole concert!

11. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I hate to add this, but...
    ...I scored the European Summer In Paradise on ebay last week for $9.99 (USD). It's on the way and I will report when I can give it some attention. I am definitely looking forward to it. It gets slagged here, but it's a 'new' Beach Boys album for me.
    Also, I was out of town this week, and I listened to Pacific Ocean Blue on the plane. Definitely hoping this gets Patrick's treatment as well.

12. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I am thinking this thread maybe done.....on to the solo albums....:)

13. Dang! You are one lucky bidder. The far more common US version usually goes for $50 or more. :)

POB is far and away the greatest official Beach Boys solo album!

14. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Wow. This is some good revelations as to what was going behind the scenes during the mid to late 1990s.

I saw Carl with the B. Boys in concert the year before he died.

I and others always thought the acrimony was caused by Mike Love.
    Here, it's stated Carl - the reported "peacemaker" - blocked the last possible LP of new material.

Carl, Brian's brother, when he walked out of the recording, ended the first possibility for a new BB LP.

So Carl killed any plan. That's hard to imagine.

Then - recalling what happened with Smile - Brian refused to participate with the B. Boys again.

Mike probably didn't care to record again together, but it's sure interesting to see how mixed up and full of fighting with each other this group was about in the 80s and 90s.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I can't believe what a horrible year 1978 must have been for the Wilson brothers. Divorce, drug problems, and The Beach Boys imploding must have been terrible for them. And I remember 1978 being such a fun year!

16. I didn't realise it was Brian Wilson himself who turned down the opportunity for The Beach Boys to work with Sean O'Hagen: that pairing could have produced something special.

17. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

The Wilson/Paley sessions started spring 1992 and lasted about two years, on and off.

The Baywatch Nights session for "Dancin' the Night Away" was March 3rd 1995 (as reported in Billboard), which makes the following comments (referring to the fall 1995 sessions) impossible.

September 8th 1996.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.