The art of cleaning a record. What do you use, special techniques, etc.?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I've got a Disco Antistat.

It certainly makes my vinyl sparkle... and static free.

I'd concur with Dale. It gets rid of the grime and removes the odd tick and pop.

2. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Here's my answer as posted on Soundstage, along with the thoughts of a few others.

www.goodsound.com/howto/2007_04_15.htm

3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I have to say it is without a doubt the best "affordable" record cleaning system out there. It really does come close to VPI/Nitty Gritty performance for a lot less money. It does a thorough job of cleaning records.

I didn't post my cleaning schedule--I clean all records, new or used, as soon as I get them. But that's it for cleaning. From then on it's just take care of any dust that may alight on the record before play with a soft brush...

Dale

4. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

In due time. Haven't had a chance to even mix cleaning solution yet. :laugh: I keep forgetting to buy some distilled water. It's tough, during work I remember all these things I need to do and can't do them. Then when I have time to do things I can't remember anything I need to do. :confused: :laugh:

5. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Which model did you get and why? A Loricraft is on my short list. Just need to pull the triger.

6. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Anyone know if the Disco Antistat is available from any online retailer in the US?

7. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Q: Which model did you get?
    A: PRC3

Q: Why?
    A: To clean records silly

I just checked their website. Looks like they keep raising the price on these buggers. Up to $2235 now. :eek:

I played around with it a couple times using the crappy spray they provide. It's cool to watch it suck the fluid of the vinyl. Pretty fast too. Not obnoxiously loud either. I was planning on doing a nice video review including before and after sounds from the vinyl and posting on YouTube. That might be a little ambitious though. :laugh:

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The loudness of the 16.5 is my biggest concern.

9. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

not to divert anyone's attn, but how often is it really necessary to change the fluid in a vpi 17 . . . i've noted here that some say not so often, while the manual says every 12 sides, which seems REAL often.

it doesn't recycle does it?

thanks,
    doug

10. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

This is similar to a thread posted not too long ago, but I'll reiterate as this works very well for me, and maybe it also can for some sad soul with very dirty records and no place else to go! :(
    A good blast of cool water from the tap (well water) for several revolutions. I hand wash with a solution of Dawn dish washing detergent, 91% alcohol and water with a natural bristle brush which I cut at a taper. The brush is cut short enough so the bristle is fairly stiff. I'm not afraid to give it a good scrubbing (only with the groove, of course), as I figure it can't be any worse than the care the vinyl originally received. Then I rinse, and rinse, and rinse again with a robust stream of water. I definitely get most of the gunk off, because I rarely get a build-up on my needle. I've got the system down good enough that I can wash and rinse without getting the label wet. I shake the drops off vigorously and then lay the record on a clean no lint cotton towel. I lay another like towel on top and pat down without rubbing. I then lift the record and blow dry with a hair dryer set on cool. I replace the inner sleeve with a new rice paper sleeve, and I also put a new sleeve on the cover at that time. The difference is simply amazing. I wash only once, and use an audioquest anti static brush prior to each play. That's it - a lot of work, but I only do it once and the benefits outweigh the time spent.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

It does not recycle.

What I refer to as the "reservoir" in a VPI 17 is the container holding fresh fluid that supplies the brush/sprayer wand that applies fluid to the surface of the record. There is also a separate "waste container" into which the fluid (and crud) that has been vacuumed from the record surface is deposited automatically. I have never carefully counted, but I would guess that I have to fill the reservoir after about 20 records (not sides). Obviously, this is highly dependent on how heavily you wet the surface of the record. The waste container has to be emptied even less often. I do it about half the times that I refill the reservoir. A lot of the fluid actually vaporizes during the vacuuming stage, so substantially less fluid makes it into the waste container than is originally poured into the reservoir.

12. The 16.5 and your 50ยข earplugs are both worth every cent in this case.
    I wear earplugs every time I settle in to clean records
    (batches of 5 or more usually, I rarely do just one)

I almost bought a VPI myself before I read the KAB website's salespitch,
    but it is wholly manual - including that you must own a home-vacuum cleaner.

13. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

I followed the vinyl anachronist's advice on this forum and bought a Nitty Gritty Record Master, from Circle Sky. I use the Disc Doctor fluid and brush. I've always wanted one, and I feel like it frees me to buy used vinyl and not worry about dirt and fouling up my needle. I'm not to the level of cleaning new records, yet.

I just bought the blue box and the Apple label records looked fine but played noisy; so far, the Nitty Gritty has cleaned the noise out of the grooves.

14. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

thanks, much!

doug

15. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

:rolleyes: I meant why the Loricraft compared to other models like the Hannl, Clearaudio Matrix or the VPI ones.

16. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I have a VPI 16.5 cleaning machine, RRL cleaning liquid, Disc Doctor & VPI brushes which I use to clean all records when I first get them home. After that, I never clean again (unless the first cleaning was unsuccessful). If a record looks unscratched but still plays badly I'll sometimes try Goo Gone as a last resort. It has changed several albums from VG- to VG+ or better.

Mark

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Hurry up already! ;)

If I had a Loricraft I'd be opening that puppy as soon as I got home. :)

18. terra1

terra1 New Member

True ... LPs that have seen past days of being exposed to smoking, cheetos, and beer and left unsleeved.

Your post may have been the one I saw. I remember the Dawn reference. I can't afford many products out there today.
    I was searching for record cleaning threads when I noticed not only scratchy surface noise but little dust balls around the stylus.

The ones I would usually use this technique for are old albums I want to record and archive on tape. Otherwise I would just do a wipe for other normal records with my Discwasher. If it's severely warped or scratched I would use older used stylus.

I tried it with just Joy and water. And it worked fine. As I spread the soap mixture with my fingers, I could feel the little lint balls under my finger tips and other debris. And even some embedded debris could be scratched off with my finger. I have an old LP wire rack I let it dry on. I slip it in with a folded paper towel (smooth side touching the LP).

19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, I even clean records I buy new/sealed. It goes beyond just removing "dirt" to my ears...

This is what I usually do with cleaning lately. I hope all this detail doesn't turn you off to getting a vacuum - you may not want or need to go through all this BS, and it'd probably all go relatively fast with an automatic vacuum :

I first use Disc Doctor, diluted to a 2/3 solution - 1/3 distilled water mix. Brush, vacuum off. Then distilled water - brush, vacuum off. Then Nitty Gritty Pure 2 - brush, vacuum off. Then distilled water - brush, vacuum off. Then a solution of 3/4 Pure 2, 1/4 distilled - brush, vacuum off.

Lots of people don't like Pure 2 as it has a little alcohol in it, but I've been using it for over 10 years and never had any issues with it. I think using it helps with not leaving a residue like "sound". Can't be used on acetates or 78's though, and possibly not styrene 45's either. They make a non-alcohol Pure 1 for those, but I've never tried it.

I like to use appx. 3/4 Pure 2 -1/4 distilled water last. It seems to have just the right consistency for the last step to me, and "sounds" best to my ears. I've come to that mixture more recently...

I vacuum in both directions - usually alternating clockwise/counterclockwise, 8 passes total per side.

Some people have recommended the RRL stuff. I bought a bottle of their Vinyl Wash once. It seemed just like distilled water to me. Actually, I still use the bottle to squeeze distilled water. Maybe I might like some of their other products better...

Like Michael Fremer, if I clean something correctly, I never have to clean it again besides a quick dry brush before playing, unless I smudge it or something (which usually doesn't happen). Cleaning a record like I do kills the static charge for me.

I don't care for the LAST Preservative Michael recommended - I felt like I got some more noise/residue from it years ago, and never bothered with it again. I know he hasn't had this problem, but based on my old experience with it, it's not for me.

I also use an old Butler GUM toothbrush to actually clean the records. Nice soft, plain rounded head. Some people would probably want to cut my balls off for that, but I've never damaged a record using it. Go with the groove, don't do anything crazy with it, and it cleans...

Phew!

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I got a new Lucinda Williams West LP today and there was definitely the old mold release stuff on it. Time to get a 16.5 before the go up in price...hopefully I can afford it.

21. terra1

terra1 New Member

I love this forum. Much better than picking at it with my fingers. Thanks.

22. audio

audio New Member

I cleanse records by hand, no machine, using the superb Disc Doctor system. I'm very pleased with the results I've had with this product.

23. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Hey, its cheaper than a power cord. ;)

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:laugh: So true!

25. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Lee,

What did disc two look like? My copy was sooooo warped to be frightful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.