The art of cleaning a record. What do you use, special techniques, etc.?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

At least with new vinyl I've found that just a dry brushing with an Audioquest brush is all that is needed (followed by replacing any offending sleeves if they are shedding). If it remains excessively noisy, cleaning it on a RCM doesn't help much.

RCMs work really well with used vinyl that are usually dirtier.

2. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I clean everything, both used and new.

I've had new records that have played quietly before cleaning that sounded noticeably better following a cleaning in terms of detail, transparency etc. so everything gets cleaned.

3. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Everything gets cleaned when purchased, without exception, new or used, before playing. After a few times of trying playing a record without cleaning and then playing after a good clean, the difference is not subtle. The improvement in sound can be huge.

VPI 17F record cleaner.

Cotton cosmetic pads clipped to nailbrushes with all bristles except the center line removed. This gives a good soft applicator surface. You can also change out the pads when they get dirty. Since they are white, you see the crap accumulating. A fair amount of fluid is required, so I tend to do cleaning in batches of 20 LPs +.
    Cleaning depends on the record. Is it something I really like or I will really listen to? If so, it gets the Audio Intelligent Enzyme, super cleaner, triple distilled water treatment.

Step 1. Pad 1. Audio Intelligent Enzyme treatment. Leave it on for a minute.
    Vacuum.

Step 2. Pad 2. Audio Intelligent Super Cleaner.
    Vacuum.

Step 3. Pad 3. Triple distilled water rinse.
    Vacuum.

If it's something I'm not really going to listen to much, for the collection, it still gets a two step treatment.
    Step 1. Pad 1. H&M Music (a local brew) cleaning fluid. This stuff is cooked up by a local Audiophile shop. It's fairly cheap, local and at least as good as Audio Intelligents one step formula, better than VPIs concoctions, as good as MoFis one step stuff, and as good or better than a few others I tried before deciding that this stuff was fine.
    Vacuum.

Step 2. triple distilled water rinse.
    Vacuum.

Wet cleaning with a good fluid, with a distilled water rinse makes such a huge difference to vinyl playback I clean everything. The Classic reissues after a good clean are simply dead quiet, maybe not quite CD quiet, but very quiet and clear indeed.
    The effect good cleaning has on the Rolling Stones Deccas is enormous. Sucking sometimes 30+ years of crud out of the grooves is going to have an effect.
    Cleaning the Rolling Stones Mo Fi box set with the 3 step process produced super quiet vinyl, punchy, transparent, full and dynamic.

The "Zen and the art of record cleaning" article on Michael Fremers website is a key reference. Best article/piece on record cleaning I've read.

4. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

I used the VPI 16.5 for years and dreaded the idea of wasting a Saturday cleaning records.

Then I saw the Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner at the RMAF....

There has been no looking back. No secret ingredients or processes. Just drop the record edge into the slot and push the button (multiple pushes of button extends the cleaning cycle). It ultrasonically cleans the record along with multiple counter rotating microfiber brushes. My records are clean with no setting up, scrubbing, flipping etc. It even dries the record.

I loved my VPI, now I can't imagine my life without the Audio Desk Vinyl Cleaner. Sorry if this sounds like a commerical, I am just a real happy customer.

5. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I use my KAB EV-1 and Nitty Gritty Fluid. One pass usually does the trick though I may do a record a second time if it is particularly dirty.

The EV-1 has done wonders - pure and simple. A few months ago I found an original first pressing of Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. The record looked dirty from 43 years of sitting inside a paper sleeve but there was minimal scratches. A clean on the EV-1 gave me back the glossy sheen. The little micro scratches are still there but they play through with a minimal of noise.

The best effect I ever had with the EV-1 was a Japanese pressing of Haircut 100's 'Pelican West'. The record looked clean except for some minor dust. However it played VERY crackly. A clean took this record into the NM territory.

I consider an RCM part of a record collector's must have items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.