Ten years from now, will more people be listening to vinyl or CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by readandburn, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

even if wen don't throw away our cds we will probably be listenig to lossless ripped versions or mp3 on some storage device that contains our whole collection.

But I think maybe I little more people will listen to music on cd vs. vinyl.

I myself prefer listening to vinyl (and have since the early 90s)

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I think people that appreciate the "qualitys" that only vinyl can produce, will not move away from playing records. I have never played a record because of a "dissatisfaction" with another format. Some records simply produce a sound that (imo) is superior to anything else. I play cds also, but have no interest in downloading music that has no documentation (who produced and mastered it, etc..)

3. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

CD. People are into portability. Nothing portable about vinyl. Who knows, neither may be supported 10 years from now.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Incorrect.

Regardless how good computer files get I just love having a 12" in my hands :righton:

5. il pleut

il pleut New Member

this is the key. portability, storing lots of music in a tiny space, and easy digital compatibility. and no matter how you spin it, records are a more inconvenient format than cds.

those trump any perceived sound quality superiority of records over cds, especially since that superiority is really nonesxistant, all other things like mastering and sources being equal, or at best offset by the negatives of LP reproduction.

i mean i love 78s and 45s and 33s, but having those artifacts is a luxury to most people at this point.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If it were just dissatisfaction with mp3, then people would just stick to CD's until they could get lossless downloads.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think it's hilarious that people are still touting the "portability" of CD in the age of digital music players.

Just how portable is a CD collection? Plenty, if it's ripped and on your iPod. Otherwise the "portability" is overrated by comparison. More portable than LP, certainly, but far outdistanced by iPod and other digital music players.

9. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

True, but as yet, not everybody has switched over. I still prefer the sound of the uncompressed cd to the mp3 for most of my listening. This is a transitional time for music. I still don't have the capability to play mp3 in my car, and I haven't yet invested in a file server/DAC for my home system. And, only a small percentage of my collection has been ripped to the computer/mp3 player. As a result, I still drive around with a pile of cds in my car, and keep a shelf full them in my office as well.

Now, I expect that in 10 years, I will probably be spinning cds a lot less than I do now, but I think they will still have a place in my music listening habits. And, I expect I will still be buying used cds in 10 years. I doubt everything will be up in the cloud and instantly available for cheap or free download.

10. vinyl diehard

No one's arguing that point as it's correct. It's all going to be nostalgia in 10 years. Which format are people more nostaligic about. It won't be about any preceived benefits of one format over the other.

11. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

At the moment I'm listening to Dvořák's "Czech Suite" in 48 Khz/24 bit from my PC connected to my main stereo system. What's so valueless about that and what would listening to a physical medium change? If I want to improve on that experience I will to go to a concert hall and listen to the music live.

I see no connection whatsoever between the medium and the value of music.

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I chose CD because it already eclipsed vinyl. Eventually I think the two will about even out since both are "obsolete."

13. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

I think we will all end up with some sort of setup like this, or alternately, streaming audio. But, with billions or trillions of cd issues, re issues, and re reissues floating around, cds will continue to have an important place in music collector's homes for at least 10 more years as a source/backup/archive. Looking ahead 25 or 30 years, then who knows?

14. vinyl diehard

What he said.

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Sure. CDs are still my main source for music. Only now I buy a CD and rip it to my hard disc right away. Most of my newer disc were never played in real time. But my collection still consists mainly of CDs and until lossless (or hi-rez) downloads will become the norm (if ever), that won't change.

16. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

18. readandburn

readandburn Active Member Thread Starter

So more people will be listening to both? I doubt it.

19. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

Vinyl will still be there,as a niche product,but CDs will die a slow death,like cassettes before them,but the majority of music will be consumed as downloads.

20. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

I'm thinking, perhaps when downloads take over and CDs are more niche, will record companies decide that the best way to take advantage of the niche market will be to release un-compressed masterings onto CD again, and give the loudness crap to the mp3/ACC downloaders, much like what has been done with vinyl vs CDs the past 15 years? That would certainly make the world a better place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.