Ten Years After "A Space in Time" new release LP/DVD + CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by winopener, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multichannel

Multichannel Forum Resident

Attached Files:

• TYA.jpg
      TYA.jpg
      File size:
      35.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

3. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Quad mix to stereo is for cd edition.
    Vinyl DVD is surround.
    Grabbed one on Amazon last night for $27 with shipping from US seller new.
    Last one at that price.

4. jeffrey walsh

:thumbsup:

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Any reviews? :goodie::goodie::goodie:

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I just ordered mine:cheers:

7. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Vinyl DVD is DTS and DD surround and LPCM stereo as seems to be EMIs favored format at the moment.
    Once EMI beocme part of Universal i expect these to stop or becoem just Dolby as Universal seem to have no idea about sound quality and surround at the moment.

8. jeffrey walsh

For anyone interested, check eBay, just bought this for 22 plus 4 to cover shipping.

9. jeffrey walsh

Just a heads up on this. Over at Quadrophonic Quad they are stating that on the Dvd the front and rear channels are reversed, meaning the vocals are coming out the rear. Sounds funny but it isn't.:shh: Need I say the review of the title has turned into an EMI slagging.

10. masterbucket

I will just swap my speakers wires around and all will be well.
    No biggie..:wave:
    Actually if that is the case I am sure replacements will be offered and the reversed one will be an instant collectors item.

11. jeffrey walsh

What is the big deal with checking this shi* out before the manufacturing stage? That error on Kiss's Destroyer rerelease (Flaming Youth) is so obvious. Good luck Pono.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Actually, that is funny. :laugh: Glad I stuck with the AF CD.

The collector's item thing is true. ESP. if you hawk it on eBay.

13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

True, but the AF is 2 channel. I want FOUR!!! :agree:

14. jeffrey walsh

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. masterbucket

+1

16. masterbucket

Got mine in yesterday.
    Playing it now........

17. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Got mine yesterday. I'm 2-channel only, so I listened to the DVD-audio stereo, which is listed as a flat transfer at 24 96. It sounds fantastic. Compared it to the AF version, and they're very, very similar. The DVD-A may be slightly smoother, but the differences are minor. Have to listen a bit more to decide which I like better. I only had about 20 minutes last night. Haven't listened to the lp yet.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the review. I love the gold disc and was wondering how it fared against the DVD-Audio disc.

By the way, I could not find this set on amazon.com. All I saw in a search was the standard CD and the quad LP.

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I think if you have the AF, unless you want the multi-channel, it's probably not worth getting the DVD-A.

My comparison wasn't completely fair though, I was listening to the DVD-A 0n my Oppo BDP-95 and the AF on my Meridian cd player so I could switch back and forth. I want to compare both on the Oppo to normalize for differences in equipment.

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks again. Your comparison should have favored the CD. In any case, the new set is not a must, as I wouldn't listen to the LP and they botched the surround track. Hi-rez stereo is the draw for me.

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I got my copy from Amazon.de - came in perfect condition - and I promptly listened to both the LP and the surround mix on the DVD.

The LP sounded really nice, and in comparison to the new Audio Fidelity LP - very close - with probably the new AF LP mastered by Kevin Gray a bit warmer.

Since I have so many versions of this album on CD (AF, regular CD, version in a CD collection of complete Ten Years After set) and LP (Audio Fidelity and now new 2012 Chyrsalis), it wasn't like I needed another copy. I really purchased this for the DVD and the surround mix.

Even though the surround mix has the channels swapped (according to others in the know) - where the vocals come from the rear, it really sounded excellent in DTS. Even with the vocals coming from the rear - all 4 channels were so active (this being a 4.1 mix) - other than the misplaced vocals - the surround mix works. A lot of the guitar and guitar solos are in the front channels (I guess supposed to be in the rear), that it still is a fun ride and a great mix.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Amazon.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-In-Ti...6M/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1350748463&sr=8-12

Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RYOY6M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?tag=vglnkc4192-20

Amazon.ca (cheapest I could find)

http://www.amazon.ca/Space-Time-Vin...OY6M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350748794&sr=8-6

I look forward to the DVD, the vinyl will remain in the "music museum".

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

While tempted to hear the multichannel mix, I don't think it'd get much play over the AF Gold CD.

24. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Probably true. The Meridian is better on cd's than the Oppo. I suspect that when I compare both on the Oppo, I'll prefer the DVD-A. The mastering is very similar. Curious to hear the lp as well. I don't have the AF lp, only the cd.

25. masterbucket

I agree:righton:
    It is certainly worth having even with channel swap if that is even the case(some are saying on other boards that original quad was the same)the sound quality is phenomenal.
    Glad I grabbed it early at a great price!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.