target cd's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dude, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dude

dude Senior Member Thread Starter

Guess I'm missing something. Just off the top of my head I can think of: Most of my Yes cd's, Zeppelin (TSRTS the only one I have left), CSN&Y, Buffalo Springfield, Adrian Belew, all with the Target and pressed in the U.S.
    I assumed there were many others.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Are you sure these have the target design? There has been a lot of confusion as to the meaning of "target". Do your discs have the design shown on this disc?

Attached Files:

3. dude

they have the red (& black) stripe on the outside.

What about the early mca japans without the red? Are those first pressings?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nope, you're misunderstanding. The discs with red and black strips on the outside are not a target design. An early pressing maybe, but no target.

Look and ANY/ALL of the discs on this link:

http://www.ralphscomiccorner.com/cdjwg2.htm

Notice the four sets of "squares" around the perimeter of the disc and the row in the center? Kinda form a cross-hatch pattern that vaguely resembles are target or bullseye design.

There's various color combos, but they all share the same 'pattern' if you will. To get real picky about it, Japanese targets have a couple less 'blocks' towards the spindle holes.

5. dude

I see. Guess I don't have any Targets. Not many good titles. There sure are differences with the early U.S. cd's compared to the later ones. How come no one talks much about these?

Does anybody assume to know the difference between the Targets and the next pressings without the squares but with the red stripe outer? (That came from all countries)

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Well those discs with the black/red stripes are extremely common, so there's not much desire for discussion. I'm fairly certain that there are many such discs available at retail stores with the same design even today.

Every single target disc is at least 20 years old (well dontcha target guys go pointing out some french disc that they still made up until '90 to me ;) ) So, old discs = uncommon = ripe for discussion.

I think there's tons of good titles. Some great classic rock albums, and lotsa pop too.

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

A little help, please.
    Does the "Target" LZ:HotH have the 'banner' on the cover?
    Banner = White box with HotH printed in it.
    Thanks!

8. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Yes, it does. :agree:

[​IMG]

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

So you guys have me thinking...I have tons of cd's from 86 or so on.....and I think a lot are targets. Will I get much if i put them in the classifieds here?

10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Thanks Leppo.
    The search at the shops becomes a little easier!

11. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Depends on the CD. Some are harder to find than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.