Talking Heads - Brick set Dual Discs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomhayes, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottRx

ScottRx New Member

Thanks for the info...I'll contact Pioneer right away.

-Scott

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member Thread Starter

WHy don't people believe the advance resolution stereo layer exists? I posted some details about it in a post on this thread.

Here's a tip:
    Without any disc in your machine go to the set up menu and make sure that you have the DVD-Audio layer as the default start up layer. Maybe that's what people are forgetting to do.

3. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

me too

4. I wasn't saying it didn't exist. I was just commenting that way more discussion about how to find it, or it's true resolution, or that it existed at all (which of course it does) is on this thread than discussion about the sonics of said MLP 2.0 layer. This isn't unusual in a new DualDisc release cuz very little of the disc's spec was published upfront, lots of folks can't access all the layers, the DualDisc format sucks and is confusing, etc, etc.

On the 2.0 hirez sonics Larry G called it "absolutely fantastic" but then again he was referring to both 5.1 and 2.0 (thanks Larry, no cut on you, just pointing out that, other than your general comment, no one has talked about the 2.0 layer). I guess I'll find out soon enough.

5. tomhayes

I've listening to the 5.1 layer about 6 times more than the 2.0.

I can say that on 'Found a job' the 2.0 has the vocals up front and loud while the 5.1 has them way back. I replaced my center cable from my Pioneer to the preamp and I checked my center level from the preamp to the speaker but the vocal level was low. That's the only 5.1 mix that I have been dissatisfied with thus far.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What is the surround mix like of "Remain in Light"? That is the one I really want to hear. I can't imagine surround does anything much for their first couple of albums or "Little Creatures/True Stories".

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yow! $300 apiece in the store shelves here. :shake: Looks like I'll be ordering this one off Amazon.

And the day after it arrives I'll find a sealed copy in a used CD store for $60. That's what always seems to happen with the Miles boxes, anyway.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Get the box and find out! More elaborate than their early recordings and hence, much more for Jerry Harrison to play with(and he did!).

:ed:

9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Remain in Light sounds stunning in 5.1. Little Creatures is also an excellent surround mix - in fact Road To Nowhere is mind-blowing (especially with the chorus of voices at the beginning and the end of the song).

I have noticed that the earlier albums have less of an aggressive surround mix than the later albums. It is as if each album gets a bit more aggressive than the last - where Talking Heads '77 is the least aggressive, while Little Creatures is very aggressive. I haven't listened to True Stories or Naked yet, so I can't comment on those.

It is hinted at in Jerry Harrison's notes about the 5.1 mixes on each disc that the earlier albums were recorded more "live" on less individual tracks than I believe the later recordings (for instance Fear of Music was recorded in the Talking Heads loft on Sundays to cut down on the truck noise they would capture on tape from the busy New York streets during the work week). Jerry does mention that for some albums due to the way they were recorded there was less for him to work with in creating a more discrete 5.1 mix. Therefore the later recordings have more raw tracks to work with in creating a discrete and distinctive 5.1 mix.

Regarding the talk about the stereo mix not being easily accessible on the DVD-Audio disc, it is quite clearly there if you select it off the on-screen menu. On the other hand, I merely need to hit the "audio" button on the remote of my DVD-Audio player and I can toggle the discs between the 96/24 5.1 and stereo mixes very easily without the TV on.

11. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Well I just finished listening to all the albums....one word WOW.
    This might be the finest surround project ever released. Some had problems with some of the Elton John 5:1 mixes...but I haven't heard more than 1 complaint on the T-Head 5:1 mixes. I even put the cd sides on to hear some of the outtakes...too bad they didn't mix them in 5:1.
    The track I'll use first to show off this collection is the alternate version of "Burning Down the House" ...man does this track sound great.

It's just too bad some that have bought this are having problems...I hope Rhino steps up and address this.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I just picked up the brick today and I have to tell you that so far I'm impressed. Ive listened to the surround sound mixes of the frst 2 albums and they're GREAT. I've also had a chance to listen to the extra tracks on the CD side of the first LP and was also impressed. I'll be listening to the rest of the 5.1 mixes as the night progresses. This box is an absolute must have. BTW looking at my original TH CDs I noticed that 3 of the are original "target" CDs so I'll have to do more in the way of A/B comparisons on the weekend.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Backbeat has it for just over $200..still a bit higher after exchange and shipping, but I'd rather give Gord the business.

14. tomhayes

I listened to these more this week and today had a friend over for a demonstration.

He loved them.

We listened to some other of my surround discs: Beck Guerro, Police GReatest Hits, Flaming Lips Yoshimi and none of them compare to these discs.

The Talking Heads albums (mainly the first 4) sound so open, airy, tight, and ORGANIC compared to the other surround mixes I mentioned.

I'll open my house to people in San Diego who want to listen to it. My system is not the greatest and my bass is probably up a bit too high but I'll compare this to anything you bring on SACD / DVD-A.

I actually do not feel guilty about paying $199 dollars for musci I've paid for many times before. Casette, CD, Vinyl, Greatest Hits, Remastered colelctions, etc.

Good work Jerry!

15. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I'm holding off on this (if at all) until I get the CCR and Dylan SACD boxes.

16. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm hoping that it will show up on yourmusic.com!!!

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I can guarantee you that the CCR SACD box will never show up on yourmusic.com.

18. stereoptic

Too bad, actually I was referring to the T. Heads box

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Oh OK, just didn't want you holding out for something that would never arrive at Yourmusic.com. The Talking Heads box might show up there eventually.

20. OK, folks, I have to apologize for being soooo impatient on hearing reviews about the 2.0 MLP hi-rez layer. Mine arrived and I put on Remain in Light just to hear the 5.1 mix. OMG! No wonder no one talks about the 2.0 layer; it's impossible to get the 5.1 versions out of rotation!! How about the sound of This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) from Speaking in Tongues. Just frickin amazing. I am very pleased......oh and I haven't heard the 2.0 layers yet, so don't anybody ask...... :D

21. tomhayes

I haven't heard ANYONE who says the box set hasn't been worth the money-- who has a DVD-Audio player that actually plays Dual Discs.

Jerry Harrison needs to remix some other music in surround. Maybe he could do Devo, The Cars or Gary Numan? He's got an ear for non-gimmicky surround.

Now I just need the rest of the T. Heads stuff in DVD-audio like The Name of This Band is Talking Heads, The Music from True Stories and the first Tom Tom Club album.

22. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

For you who think this box is a little bit too expensive :mad:

I just ordered it from CD Universe since they suddenly was back on their introduction price 104.99$ :agree:

I was planning to wait for the individual releases but I couldn't resist it to this "good price" :righton:

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I wish I could do that, but I'd get hit with tax and all that other crap by customs. Not sure if it would be worth it! It's very pricey here though.....it might still be cheaper getting hit by them.

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The box is not only attractive--moreso when the price is right--but since we can't be sure(yet?)that there will be individual releases(which in any case aren't likely to be any different from this presentation beyond full jewel case artwork), good idea to snag this now.

I'm sure some fans are wondering if they will go for DD reissues, or go plain redbook. Has there been any mention anywhere of what possible way they will go? If not, I'd advise getting this one now...

:ed:

25. stereoptic

I've gotta get my Pioneer 563-a firmware first!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.