Talking Heads - Brick set Dual Discs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomhayes, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

3. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

MikeT said that his player indicated that the stereo is PPCM, not LPCM. So, it's on the DVD-A section. The DVD-V section isn't going to have high-res stereo if this is the case.

4. Larry Geller

I'm pretty sure I have some DVD-A's that have MLP PPCM 96/24 on the DVD-A folder, but also 48/24 on the DVD folder, but I may be mistaken.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I just wanna know if it's safe to bring the old editions into the local used record store for some muchly needed cash yet, 'cause, if I wait until after Tuesday, they'll be flooded with 'em and probably won't accept any more.

6. Larry Geller

Yes.

7. Michael St. Clair

There might be a few out there, but I bet they aren't DVD-5 with full 24/96 surround also present. Not unless the album is real short.

And some here feel that 48/24 isn't high-res (though, to me, it can sound fantastic).

8. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

9. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

That was my impression as well. Loved the sound. Absolutely hate the packaging. I'm going to make my own packaging for them with the boxes from the old issues, but we shouldn't have to do that. Blank white spines and backs of boxes??!! I kept finding myself looking at the back of the jewel box to see what the next track was, only to keep finding nothing but blank white! Bad, bad, bad.

In addition, some of the discs had the CD/DVD sides reversed. I had to stop the disc and flip it over to play the correct side, even though the small label in the center said otherwise.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

merci beaucoup.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

hey, the only DualDisc I (currently) own ('Devo - Live 1980') is like that. really careless.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There will be some really good deals out there just before christmas or just after. Not to worry.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

(I hadda ask!) ;)

what a disaster, I can understand your frustration!

14. Larry Geller

The CD sides won't play in MY Sony SACD player either, nor will they play on my Denon 3910. They only play in my Laserdisc player & in my car. But I'm STILL happy as a clam because I now have EIGHT new, fantastic sounding hi-rez 5.1 & stereo releases! Everthing else is secondary.

15. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

I'm with Larry....
    I don't give 2 s**** about the cd side...
    Every studio album by the Talking Heads in 5:1 Hi-Rez :goodie:

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Has anyone compared the sound of the CD side to the sound of the "Once in a Lifetime" box that came out a few years ago? I really thought that box was on the brighter side and I'm not sure if I'm a big enough TH fan to buy this after spending the money for that box.

17. Larry Geller

Well, actually this is one time when I DO care about the CD side (due to the head-scratching choice of ONLY locating the bonus tracks there--that's the only reason I even ATTEMPTED to play the CD side on 4 different players), but any problem pales in comparison to my joy at what IS on the DVD-A side!

18. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Well in that case, I slightly care.... ;)
    All my players do the cd side fine...I had to check(my other DD) after all the complaints. :sigh:

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

well, I tend to burn everything to CDR for the car anyway. So it is a very small problem, and I won't be missing one wink of sleep over it.

They should release a Pink Floyd box like this! It would be the best selling box set ever.

20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

yeah right.

When was the last time they reviewed any relevant release?
    I don't think they reviewed a single one of the Bob Dylan releases.

They should have their domain name pulled! ;)

Also, about the Dual Disc rant... I would have to ask those that complain about them, Do you want music in Hi-Rez and multi channel at all???

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

hi-rez: yes. multi-channel: no. I passed on quad back in the 70s and I have no interest in reliving that. if the original release was mono, I want mono. if it was stereo; then I want stereo. the original mixes of these were stereo.

hybrid SACDs, on the other hand, make me do a happy dance.

22. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Me too but sadly, that boat has sailed. It is Dual discs or nothing.

I can see about complaining about the content (Gretchen Wilson's new DD has no hi rez content) but the format itself? That is the only hi-rez medium available in my eyes.

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

yes, but it's still unnecessary. glueing one-sided discs together annoyed me back in the laserdisc days, and I'm not much of a fan of flipper DVDs either. does it really cost any more to package separate one-sided discs than it does to glue 'em together?

it's the double-sidedness of the format that gets everyone's goat, I plumb reckon.

24. Michael St. Clair

I think they just don't want people who buy for the DVD-A to give the CD away, potentially costing them a sale. Who knows. I certainly prefer the Double Disc sets, but DualDisc works fine on my hardware so I'm OK with it (except for Sony's wimpy version).

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They will improve the thinness and work out this minor problem over time I would expect.

And yes, it may be the giveaway thing.

Or the publishers agreed on flat rate for the various mixes (on DDs), and the two discs would up that cost X2, making the cost prohibitive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.