Talk Talk Laughing Stock to be reissued on Vinyl!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by williwoods, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

See post#55:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7023205&postcount=55

2. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I have literally just put on this LP for the first time since I bought it for £3.99 when HMV where chucking out their vinyl cheap. There were tons of copies at the time and I bought it on a whim and filed it away. For 20 years! :) (already had it on CD I might add).

Just playing it now, the sound of the Verve vinyl is nice, a shiver ran up my spine at the intro to "After The flood" (just before the hammond organ), really great dynamics and tight bass. I liked it a lot!

3. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I believe they re-pressed because there were so many problems with the first run (no-fill, etc.). My copies were okay, but the CDs sound better in my system. I sold them to my local record store so someone who REALLY wants on them on vinyl can have them. I can't recommend these on sonic merits, but for people who absolutely need to have these releases on LP regardless of how they sound, they will fit the bill.

4. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

HAHAHAHA! Like Pitchfork knows anything about sound quality?

Pitchfork has not been relevant (in any way) for at least a few years now!

5. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

6. Yeah, especially after reading through this thread and the different opinions... I may have to pick this one up now.

Ironically enough, my cousin was just telling me how great these albums were and that they were re-issued. I had never heard of Talk Talk but read through here and passed off the re-issues, thinking I could just get the un-remastered cds instead.

Maybe now though...

7. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

After reading that review I could not pass this up. Gave it a wash and without even doing an A/B, it's much better than my suspect copy from last year. Awesome record. Such a relaxing listen.

8. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

sort of surprising review there ^ but I've actually been biting my tongue too...my BaDaBing copy of Laughing Stock sounded pretty good - not mindblowing, but at least quiet. I'm almost exclusively a headphone listener these days and, though it doesn't have the super rich dynamics as this Should have, its clean and solid.
    Wondering if anyone's heard the new reissues coming out on EMI? I just saw a Japanese reissue of Colour of Spring w/ a 12" of their London 86? show inc...on purple vinyl. Anyone hear if this is a good pressing or should I wait for EMI...?

9. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

10. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident Thread Starter

wow, another reissue of this. Hopefully this one is better than the Ba Da Bing issue.

11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

What's the quality of Back to Black reissues? The same 'digtal transfer' as the Ba Da Bing?

12. Yovra

The EMI-reissues on vinyl are great! There is a thread about them!:righton:

13. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Nice save for sure ;)

I still have a sealed original UK Parlophone of SoE here somewhere.

Yep, the original UK Verve LS has wonderful sonics, as do all the Talk Talk UK original issue vinyl. Even the US CoS issue sounds wonderful (Wally's mastering).

14. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I think you folks on this board are being incredibly hard on Ba Da Bing. Yes there were some bad copies out there but mine in particular isn't one of them and though it is a digital transfer i think it sounds good. From what I understand even the original engineer of the album (i believe Phil Brown) has chimed in that Ba Da Bing had done a nice job.

You all do realize that the analogue tapes of this title have been AWOL and probably lost forever for some time now so you can stop wishing for a "non digital" remaster unless something magical happens.

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I'd love to know your sources for Phil Brown's opinion on the reissue and for the status of the original masters.

I had emailed Phill and reprinted it here back in October:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7023205&postcount=55

In his email, he went on to say: "I have no idea about these re-mastered versions. I was not involved." That's the last I heard from Phill on this vinyl edition, unless I missed something.

16. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident Thread Starter

you are entitled to your opinion.

from my point of view they were done poorly, a mediocre noisy pressing just sounds a lot worse when the music is as dynamic as it is in these two albums.

So perhaps I am being harsh and they deserve the mediocre rating instead of the poor rating from me, but thats not much of an improvement.

I have owned a total of 2 copies from Ba Da Bing (original and re-do) and both had terrible surface noise that takes away from the quiet dynamic passages. I am talking way above a few pops and ticks here. As a matter of fact I think the redo was just as bad or worse than my first copy.

Another fact is that the bootleg was better quality than this legit reissue, thats just depressing.

17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Regardless of the divergent opinions expressed here, this is an album that needs to be in everybody's collection, regardless of the format or mastering.

Kubricker likes this.
  18. Yovra

Even a digital remaster/mastering from digital sources could sound better than the vinyl I've got from the Ba Da Bing-version. One of the few instances when the sound from the original cd way surpassed the vinyl in detail.
    I think this is a very 'critical' record (I don't know if it's the right term) for a vinyl release; very silent passages, so every 'reissue'-label knows what it's in for when handling the last two albums of Talk Talk or Mark Hollis's solo-album. EMI did a fine job with Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden; Ba Da Bing did something else...

19. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Seeing this thread the other day prompted me to get out my original Polydor cd - it really does sound awesome.

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

:agree: I was just listening to it in the car, and almost drifted off into another world! :laugh:

23. jon palmer

jon palmer New Member

Hello, my first post here I think. I just recieved a copy of the Back to Black re issue of this and it is great. Flat and quiet just as it should be. My BaDa Bing copy is awful and despite emailing them I never heard back.

Cheers

Jon Palmer

24. Yovra

Welcome here, Jon :)
    That's good news about the new vinyl version! Is Back to Black giving any information about the source/mastering?

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Back to Black have been variable but there have been good reissues over last 18 months or more - Stones Box, Abba Reissues, 40th Anniv Layla (not oirg BtoB). I think this has got to be worth getting and from the QC comments has to be better than Ba Da Ding. Is the Ba Da Bing an officialy licensed release anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.