Talk Talk Laughing Stock to be reissued on Vinyl!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by williwoods, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Thanks for the info

2. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

booooo!!! i'm glad i have both the original Laughing Stock and Mark Hollis...... And spirit of eden too......

There's a bootleg press out of Laughing Stock (maybe spirit of eden too) - it was released both as white, red and black vinyl to my knowledge... i have not listened to any of these, but they was released about 6 months ago. About the quality of the original, i never had a problem with these - my copies play nice and quiet.

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That's not good news. :sigh: I already have these on CD.

I know the majority of vinyl consumers don't care about the source (I've met plenty who just like vinyl and just enjoy the music)... but it still bums me out that Ba Da Bing didn't cut these from the analog masters. It's probably a lot to expect from an indie record label. I'll just hope that somebody else is able to license these for vinyl and do it right.

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Are you sure that Spirit of Eden and/or Laughing Stock were analog recordings?

5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Good point. I know that Spirit of Eden was a mix of analog and digital multitracking. I'm pretty sure it was mixed to analog.

It's all in Phill Brown's book, "Are We Still Rolling?". I'll take a look when I get a chance...

6. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

7. slstokes2216

slstokes2216 Forum Resident

Business Lesson- If you want to start a business where integrity and quality is important- say, a record reissue company- don't name your company after a strip club in The Sopranos. For example, you probably wouldn't buy from Ba Da Bing Medical Supplies.

8. mintcake!

mintcake! Forum Resident

That book looks fantastic - thanks for mentioning it.

9. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident Thread Starter

Guess what???? I just got back from Amoeba in Hollywood and guess what I got?

Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden sealed..........and it is a repress for sure. They had 2 copies. Its on Parlophone and says made in the E.U. with a date of 1988. I assume that the EU was not in existence then. So must be a repress. I have not listened to it yet. Price was $14.99. The label is a a blue Parlophone just FYI.

deadwax: 746977-1-A, 746977-1-B

How cool is that? Just wanted to share the awesome news. Cant wait to get the Mark Hollis and Laughing Stock next.

Adamski777 likes this.
  10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Highly recommended for anybody who records music. :righton:

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Congratulations. Sounds like you scored!

According to the SPARS cd codes they are AAD. But you know about SPARS codes - they're not always correct.

12. galaxie500

galaxie500 Forum Resident

There's a good chance that this is the bootleg Press. It's almost impossible to see if it's legit if you dont have an original to compare with...

13. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

My pressing must be the exception to the rule. My wife turned me on to this album when we were living in Germany in the 90s. Oddly enough, her LP, a US pressing she bought in Germany, sounds spectacular and dead quiet. Good to hear I got a good one, as it's a regular player on the turntable around here lately. What an unsung masterpiece! Good news about Laughing Stock!

14. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Digitally soured vinyl pressings can sound very good. So don't write these off just yet.

I have vinyl reissues of It's My Life and Colour of Spring from Simply Vinyl. They are wonderfully packaged and silent pressings that are both sourced from the digital remasters. Not as good as the original UK pressings, but worth seeking out. Good luck finding original UK pressings that aren't worn or full of surface noise from tiny scratches.

15. williwoods

Just to be clear:

The sealed copy of Spirit of Eden that I picked up at Amoeba yesterday must be a recent repress. Not sure if that was clear from my post.

I was able to listen to it last night on headphones, it has a bit of surface noise ad some ticks and a few pops. Not audiophile grade by any means. The music that is there is very clear and distortion free. If it is digitally sourced I cant tell.

No worries though, I love the music and am happy I grabbed it. I am still going to try and find a clean original eventually.

FYI there was one more copy at amoeba hollywood yesterday. So you might want to give em a call before you head down there to grab it.

16. Yovra

Although I still have my reservations I decided to buy the new repress of Mark Hollis' solo-album...should be here next week!

17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Cd source huh...what bollocks!

18. williwoods

I had to go back to do some more looking at another shop in the hollywood area called Vacation Vinyl.

They had the 2lp Laughing Stock sealed in shrink fro $30. I was soooo excited. This one is on Polydor White Vinyl and Red Clear Vinyl.

Put on side 1.................uh "Houston we have a problem"! Side one was mistakenly side one of Spirit Of Eden!!!!

Its labeled as Laughing Stock but only side 2,3 and 4 contain Laughing Stock material minus the tracks that would normally be on side 1. BUMMER!!! Also of note is that this version of the album has 9 tracks instead of 6. Same deal as far as sound quality goes with the Spirit Of Eden repress I picked up Saturday, a bit of extended surface noise but decent fidelity underneath.

Tracklist: Myrrhman (missing, actually plays as The Rainbow), Ascension Day (missing, actually plays as Eden), Stump (missing, actually plays as Desire), After The Flood, Taphead, New Grass, Runeii, Five-09, Piano.

should have saved my money and waited for the non bootleg represses.

19. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

20. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

21. Yovra

Well, it looks fine, but still very little info about the mastering-source; I have posted a question on their Facebook-page regarding this: no answer yet....

22. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

They're not going to tell you anything worth knowing. I suspect playbsides already got all the information out of them that will be forthcoming:

I'm not really sure what that means either, although the safest assumption is that they were mastered from CDs. We're just going to have to wait to hear how they actually sound. At the very least it's obvious they won't be analog sourced (if the albums were even recorded and mixed analog, I don't even know if that's the case...for all I know the masters are 44.1/16 digital).

I have them both on pre-order from BaDaBing, but I'm not exactly expecting my mind to be blown by the sound quality, but I do hope they are pressed on quiet vinyl at the very least. Hope's Spring is eternal...as an Orioles fan I've learned to live with reduced expectations.

23. gohill

gohill Senior Member

There is a fabulous article recently posted on The Quietus regarding this album which goes into great detail around it's creation and recording.

There is some great interview material with the engineer Phill Brown and their manager Keith Aspden. One thing that seems to be confirmed is that this was not an analogue recording at all. In fact, the availability of digital recording seems to have hugely facilitated the way the album was constructed and pieced together from long jams. Of course, Teo Macero used to piece Miles Davis albums together in the same way from hours of analogue tape but the engineer seems to confirm that the album was digitally recorded and edited together painstakingly over a year.

Here's a quote from Phill Brown, the engineer on the album regarding the long jams that provided the basic tracks to be edited and chopped up digitally.

"With just a basic chord structure at most, they were encouraged to try out anything their hearts encouraged them to, and then, thanks to the emerging digital technology, any results felt appropriate were employed, sometimes in places for which they had never originally been envisioned."Here it is, a great article:

http://thequietus.com/articles/06963-talk-talk-laughing-stock

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I agree that Colour of Spring is THE ONE. Laughing Stock was a relative disappointment, to me, after CoS--stepped on the wrong side of the artful/artsy line.

25. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Thanks for that link. That is an excellent read on many levels, far beyond whatever insight it provides on the analog/digital question. The author, Wyndham Wallace, is extremely perceptive. A highly recommended read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.